XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Would you do it...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Would you do it...?

I have found a XJR 100 with 150K miles... for $6500. The body and interior id excellent and more like would be expected of half the mileage.

Would you buy it knowing the general mechanical that will be coming at that mileage or go with a equal lower mileage XJR instead?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You did not say the MY, but that seems like a lot of $$ for a car with lots of miles. I gave $5k (fleabay) for my MY 99 with 150k about two years ago. The interior on mine was A- and the exterior was B+.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 PM

This is the 2002 100th anniversary model, only 500 total built worldwide and roughly 240 in north america. Yes it is a lot of miles... which is the real question. They aren't yet in collector's status, if they ever will be. But if there is an x308 that will earn collector's status this is the only model.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I can't comment on the asking price because we pay considerably less for used Jaguars in the UK than you do in the US but appraising it as a possible purchase involves similar considerations regardless of geographical location.

To be considered 'collectible' generally means low miles, very good original condition and comprehensive history.

The XJR100 was a limited edition and as such is recognised by enthusiasts as a desirable specification. There are several other limited editions across the Jaguar model range which often makes buyers seek them out but rarely results in significantly increased values over standard models of the same year.

If you are considering it because you like the spec and not in the hope it will appreciate in value then I wouldn't worry about high miles on a Jaguar. Mine have always been used as daily drivers and in times gone by I have often put up to 30K miles on per year. With this comes more frequent replacement of wear items like tyres, brakes and suspension but well maintained V8's just seem appear to go one and on. Transmission has to be a concern but that could fail at 50K miles as easily as it could at 150K miles.

If your next Jaguar is to be another X308 then, depending on history, it has to be worth serious consideration.

Graham

Old 05-01-2014, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I can't comment on the asking price because we pay considerably less for used Jaguars in the UK than you do in the US but appraising it as a possible purchase involves similar considerations regardless of geographical location.

To be considered 'collectible' generally means low miles, very good original condition and comprehensive history.

The XJR100 was a limited edition and as such is recognised by enthusiasts as a desirable specification. There are several other limited editions across the Jaguar model range which often makes buyers seek them out but rarely results in significantly increased values over standard models of the same year.

If you are considering it because you like the spec and not in the hope it will appreciate in value then I wouldn't worry about high miles on a Jaguar. Mine have always been used as daily drivers and in times gone by I have often put up to 30K miles on per year. With this comes more frequent replacement of wear items like tyres, brakes and suspension but well maintained V8's just seem appear to go one and on. Transmission has to be a concern but that could fail at 50K miles as easily as it could at 150K miles.

If your next Jaguar is to be another X308 then, depending on history, it has to be worth serious consideration.

Graham

I would not really be buying it because of potential collector status as it may never happen, and as you said it is already high mileage which degrades it's value. the 100 is unique, but only in a cosmetic sense, and beautiful 19" BBS Montreal's. The wheels alone are nearly worth the price of the car at retail from Jag! The red stitching is nice as well as the Momo shifter (could be added to any XJR) and the brakes and suspension were made available on the R1 in '03.

Just looking for thoughts from others. I haven't talked to the owner yet as I am leaning towards a straight XJR, but thought I would throw the Q out to the group...

Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

For a 100, that's not bad. As you said, the Montreals are worth a pretty penny by themselves, and the Brembo brakes are worth a bit as well. That's at least $2000 in value alone right there, without considering the red stitching, Momo knob, and everything else. If it were a regular XJR, that's not a good price at that mileage. I bought my 59k mile XJR (that admittedly needed some exterior love) for $5700. Around here most 150k+ XJRs are in the $4000 or less range, even really nice examples. But for a 100, that's about the right price, especially if it's been well cared for. But be warned, unless they've already been replaced, it's going to need some stuff soon, like a front end rebuild, timing chains, etc.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Since you are a previous Jaguar owner, you have an idea of what you are getting into.
I would spend a few thousand more and get a MUCH lower mileage car. You will spend
a few thousand very quickly on one with that many miles unless it has exceptionally
well documented maintenance. I bought an inexpensive Jag 3 years ago and learned it
is cheaper in the long run getting a better car.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lear45
Since you are a previous Jaguar owner, you have an idea of what you are getting into.
I would spend a few thousand more and get a MUCH lower mileage car. You will spend
a few thousand very quickly on one with that many miles unless it has exceptionally
well documented maintenance. I bought an inexpensive Jag 3 years ago and learned it
is cheaper in the long run getting a better car.

This was what I was thinking from the beginning, but I always loved the 100 for the brembo's, montreal's, and stainless door trim delete. The problem is that I don't have time for a project car and 150K miles just screams another $6K at least in upcoming maintenance. This will be the wife's car and my backup commuter and the practical part of me always knew this wasn't the right car even though... I would love too!

I bought a 91K 2000 black on black XJR. It too will have maintenance required, but won't be nearly as bad, but I will truly miss the Montreal's!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I do not want to start a debate about car mileage but i see on this forum that most of the USA guys have a phobia about the high mileage cars. What is most important for you guys a well maintain high mileage car or a car with low mileage but without history about the previews owner maintenance?
I do not know the shape of this car but 150k is not much for a 12 years old car.
i prefer a car that runs every day instead of a car with low mileage stored in a garage

In my life until now i saw a lot of car with low mileage locking and working awful. So in my opinion low mileage is not all the time better. Oil is the life of the engine.

MidlifeXJR you must see the car, you must know if is in good shape or not, you know how a good engine must sound. Go for it.
If the seller want 6k you must negotiate. Maybe the final price will be lower about 4.5k or 5k.
Best regards

Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would expect it to trade for less at those miles.
Do your homework and if the car passes muster it might be a good value. If you look at in terms of utility and enjoyment $6500 is nothing for a good condition, pretty and exiting car.
If you decide to re-sell you'll be faced with an unemotional market and likely take a pounding.
I can tell you this much, you'll not need to shove your way through a line of potential buyers at that asking price. Jags are a tough sell at the going market price.

Last edited by ross1; 05-06-2014 at 09:03 AM.