XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 (2003 XJ8) codes not ready

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X308 (2003 XJ8) codes not ready

Folks, I've got a 2003 XJ8 (X308) with 73K on the odo that I can't get to pass TX state inspection because four monitors are not ready including the OX sensor monitor. We picked this car up from Austin TX where my son had it for a while and it hadn't been driven much at all. As far as I know there was no work done on the car while there, but perhaps the battery was disconnected since the monitors were tested for readiness. But that would have been a while ago. We drove it to Hurst in N. Fort Worth including in and around both cities a bit. I should imagine there would have been enough driving to complete the computer drive cycle and test all monitors. Of course, I may be wrong. It has been driven around here since then, but only to the grocery store and back since the car failed. I'm told for my year car I can have three of these four as Inc. or not ready. I have an Actron CP9180 which shows readiness statuses, codes, etc. so I can, and do, test this thing frequently.

There are no codes posted or pending and there are four of the monitors that have not gotten off inconclusive. They are: Comp Cmpnt. (?), Catalyst, Evap system, and O2 Sensor. I've checked the gas cap and it is on tight. I've searched the archives for all the Jag sedan and XK8 forums I'm on and looked at many posts about this as it seems to be very common. I've gotten Jag and federal OBDII drive cycles from them and a raft of other info, BUT I still need a few things I haven't been able to find that might help.

Since there are no codes showing or pending, where do I go to check out the reasons the various things aren't ready? I don't know what the Comp Cmpnt. is so perhaps someone can enlighten me further. The Evap system is more of a puzzle since there are no codes and therefore no pointers to check out - are there any places to check physically or electronically? Again, with no codes where to look for O2 and OX sensor tardiness. The gas tank is about half full now and I really do not know what it was when the car was originally tested. Someone said for the O2 sensor to set it usually takes a long trip at constant speed to set. I can only assume that the trip from Austin to Fort Worth will have done that.

One forum member somewhere suggested this:
* Car must be off for at least 12 hours.
* Fuel level must be between 25% and 75%
* Start car (DON'T SHUT OFF) get to a highway between 5 to 10 mins after starting the car - drive 45 - 65 mph steady for about 7 minutes then between 45 - 75 mph for another 10 mins.
* When getting home let car idle for about 5 minutes.

I have been working on cars for many years and have a fair assortment of tools and electronic gadgets germain to the newer cars, but not the dealer level or Jag stuff. Any suggestions? I will do another Jag OBDII drive cycle again, but this gets time consuming, wasteful and expensive as you all know.

What am I missing? Anything?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Best regards, Brian

Old 08-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Attached is a sheet listing the drive cycles. It is a good place to start and follow. If it doesn't set then you will need to have someone with a scanner capable of reading each monitor and determine which was or ones are not setting. Then you can trouble shoot it efficeintly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Drive Cycle.pdf (69.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

For your info, mine normally sets within 10 minutes with the usual stop-and-go and low speed traffic, besides of the O2 sensor and the catalyst.

Those 2 will only set if you bring up the speed for while, first the O2 will set, then the catalyst will follow.
Several minutes constant run on the highway will normally do for me.

This as a reference.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

What has worked for me is to have the tank at 50-75%, drive steady at 58mph for about 15-20 minutes, then 38mph for about 3 minutes.

Do this run in the morning with a cold engine, and start, then idle for 7 minutes before driving.