XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 amp and sub on Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 01:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default X308 amp and sub on Standard Audio System

I would like to install only the amplifier and the subwoofer in the car's audio system, which is standard. Is such a thing possible? and how. I've been searching the forum but without any results. The head unit is the version with navigation
Regards
Gabriel

Old 05-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

if you have cd changer in the boot and don't use it, you can use its harness to pass signal from radio to boot and install amp there

Old 05-05-2023, 12:21 AM

I have the CD changer, I want to use it also.
What i want is to find a way to install the original amplifier but only for subwoofer, all other drivers to play from the head unit amplification.
I would like to convert to a premium sount but is to much work to split the signal for each driver, install new cables.
When i replace the fuel pumps i see theat i already have the subwoofer Cables but I did not check whre it goes.
I do not want to buy the amplifier and the subwoofer without knowing how to install..

Old 05-05-2023, 02:39 AM

dunno if oem head unit have any output available but in the worst case, most amps have high level signal input which you hang to speakers instead, that should work for you
if you wanna keep the changer than you gonna have to pass the cables yourself, if you search posts about replacing head unit there is some info how it is done.
generally you go under center arm rest -> carpet -> rear seat -> (your preferred method) to boot

Old 05-05-2023, 03:33 AM

I want to keep my existing system and only ad an OEM amplifier in the trunk and install the subwoofer.

Last edited by gabrielbecheanu; 05-05-2023 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:14 AM
Received 119 Likes on 102 Posts

If my memory serves me right I remember that 00 and later headunit has a switch to switch between premium and std sound.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:31 AM
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

It does have a tiny switch that is accessible but you will need to remove the head unit mounting bracket to find it. Push down on the spring tabs on the bottom and slide the unit out carefully as the top plastic screw tabs break VERY easily! The switch changes the output from direct speaker out to a the output through the remote amp. I know from experience if it's not in the right position, there will no sound if you have the premium sound option. Not sure what happens in the other scenario.
Cheers!

Old 05-05-2023, 03:45 PM

I will check if my main unit has this switch.
so we have two scenarios.
If it has the switch, I only have to use the amplifier to have sound on the speakers and I have to add cables for high speakers, if it doesn't have it, it would be possible to use the amplification from the head unit and add only bass to the system from the car. The car has Standard Sound.
regards
​​​​​​​Gabriel

Old 05-06-2023, 04:07 AM

if you use amp on current speakers they may not last long, they would have to be rated for the amp you install, and on top of that 20+ year speakers are at the end of their life anyway.
with good, large magnet speakers rated with large margin over an HU or amp power you not necessarily gonna miss sub woofer but if you want more bass rear shelf should already have oval cuts for the large speakers or just use woofer in the boot
this way or another biggest improvement to the sound are speakers

Old 05-06-2023, 06:25 AM

The speakers are all rebuild by me so do not wory about them.
I do not want to add a big subwoofer in the trunk i want to install the original woofer modified with a lower Fs (this is not a problem) and the original amp in the trunk.
The question is:
Can I install an OEM amplifier for the subwoofer and use the head unit to power up the other speaker like is it now?
Or should I upgrade to premium put more cables to split the signal coming from the amp? I know that for the front speakers the amplifier use an active crossover so new cables for the tweeters.
Thanks

Old 05-07-2023, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by gabrielbecheanu
The speakers are all rebuild by me so do not wory about them.
Can I install an OEM amplifier for the subwoofer and use the head unit to power up the other speaker like is it now?
Gosh when I reibuilt my head unit I did try the swich function but I only measured head unit current draw. Did not test the speaker output. But, with the swich at premium position, head unit did not switch off the amp section in it.
How about using original amp, but wire speakers to current speakers? Door speakers doesn't have any filters but tweeters do. I'm quessing that you are not going to play very loudly so std speakers will do just fine. If they do not. Buy 2 way speaker kit with small passive filter and use door speaker cables as now.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the information, I'm happy with the sound, I just want to add a little more bass to the existing sound. I am aware that the premium system with active crossover is an upgrade, but I don't want to make too many changes to the car's electrical system. This is the reason why I want to add only the amplifier and the subwoofer.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:10 PM

I have read something on the internet and it seems that the LNF4170AA amplifier model would be good for me. It is interconnected with the cd changer. I will look in the documentation for the representation of the white connectors in the amplifier to understand how it works.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

I presume that you have the wiring diagrams for the Standard and Premium Radios but I have attached them here just in case. From the diagrams, you can see that the same line(s) that link the Radio with the CD changer in the case of Standard are used to connect the Radio to the Amp in the case of Premium. It means that, if you want to add the Amp, you will have to disconnect the CD changer from the Radio, connect the Amp to the radio's CD changer line(s), and connect the CD changer to the Amp. It appears that the "CD changer line(s)", marked as "Audio Network" on the diagrams, is actually a fibre-optic link but I am not sure.

So, if you connect the Amp to Radio and CD changer to Amp (as in the Premium system), the question is what will happen to the Radio and CD sounds. If you keep the STD-PREM switch on the radio (see 1st pic) on STD, you may still have the Radio sound through all speakers as currently connected (to the Radio) but not the CD sound as the CD is now connected to the Amp (which will have only the subwoofer connected to it). If you move the switch to PREM, you will have the Radio, as well as CD, sounds going to the Amp (which has only the subwoofer). I do not know whether, when the switch is moved to PREM, the Radio sound will continue coming out of all the speakers as currently connected to it and also go to the Amp or whether the existing speakers will be switched "off" with the Radio sound directed only to the Amp. In any case, I believe the CD sound will stop coming from the existing speakers and you will only hear the "bass" from it through the subwoofer.

It seems that it will not be possible to have the Radio and the CD sounds through the existing speakers, and the "bass" of both through the Amp and the subwoofer, if you connect the Jaguar Amp as it is done in the case of Premium (which seems to be the only way).

Perhaps you can check what the old fashioned 6-pin DIN connector (see 2nd pic) at the back of the Radio is for. If it is for sound output, you may be able to use it for connection, via an electronic crossover, to an aftermarket amplifier and to the subwoofer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000 Standard Radio.pdf (61.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf
2000 Premium Radio.pdf (71.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-08-2023, 06:26 AM

This is exactly the problem I was thinking about that switch, what exactly does it do. Does it stop the signal to the HU amplifier and route the signal to the amplifier? The first thing I do when I get home in two weeks is to move that switch to see if there will be sound in the speakers and if the CD changer still works. I haven't bought the amplifier and subwoofer yet because I wanted to be sure if I can connect the OEM amplifier and subwoofer without too many modifications.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

One thing is certain - if you connect the Radio to the Amp (using the link which was to the CD changer), connect the CD changer to the Amp and keep the switch at STD, the CD sound will go through the Amp (and to whatever speakers are connected to the Amp) but the Radio sound will not be played through the Amp. Only when you move the switch to PREM, the Radio sound will also go to the Amp. I found this info posted by someone who fully converted from Standard to Premium.

You will find out whether, when you switch to PREM, you still have the Radio sound through the speakers as currently connected. I suggest that you disconnect the CD from the Radio for this test, otherwise the Radio will be trying to send its sound to he CD player.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:22 PM

Thanks
i will do that

Old 05-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Received 284 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd had the thought of adding the sub to the standard system too as the only thing it lacks is a bit of bass.
Sounds like it'd be too much hassle from all this.

One question though, where does the sub fit on the premium system? I think it's under the rear seat?

Old 05-09-2023, 08:59 AM

Sub is at the parcel shelf.

The following users liked this post:
Hooli (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:25 AM

I suddenly remembered that I still do have one partially broken 2000 and later hu. I hooked it up to a bench supply and tried the switch. It doesn't matter is it set in premium or std. Radio sound is coming out from hu own amp. I cannot test sound from the AI-net. Ai-net is regular analog singal. Not fibre.

Last edited by Vauxi; 05-09-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: X308 amp and sub on Standard Audio System