XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 Connolly Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X308 Connolly Leather

Hi, could someone please list the X308 models/years that were equipped with Connolly Leather and which interior areas used different materials? I have heard mixed information on the topic and I would really like to finally solve this mystery once and for all.

As I understand it:
VDP - used full Connolly 'Autolux' Leather throughout
XJR - used standard Connolly Leather throughout
XJ8 - used standard Connolly Leather on front seats only and high-grade vinyl everywhere else.
XJ Sport - I'm not sure

Thanks so much!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that my '00 XJ8 rear seats are leather, not vinyl.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
I'd be willing to bet that my '00 XJ8 rear seats are leather, not vinyl.
I would CERTAINLY think so, myself. However, I have heard/read some info indicating otherwise, from seemingly credible sources. Saying I was shocked would be an understatement. I know its a nightmarish thought, but I had heard about something in the interior being vinyl. I really do not want to offend you though, as I know us Jag enthusiasts are fierce about the the fine quality of our cars!
Maybe the vinyl parts only consist of gear selector surround and rear seat-heater section??? I don't know, thats why I asked. And, fyi I REALLY REALLY hope that I hear that all of the X308 interiors are lined with only the finest Connolly leather!

Happy motoring!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by pezzonovante88
Hi, could someone please list the X308 models/years that were equipped with Connolly Leather and which interior areas used different materials? I have heard mixed information on the topic and I would really like to finally solve this mystery once and for all.

As I understand it:
VDP - used full Connolly 'Autolux' Leather throughout
XJR - used standard Connolly Leather throughout
XJ8 - used standard Connolly Leather on front seats only and high-grade vinyl everywhere else.
XJ Sport - I'm not sure

Thanks so much!

I can't answer your question with respect to the X308s. That won't stop me from rambling a bit, though :-)

The word "throughout" is tricky :-). My experience with other model Jags is that which pieces were leather covered and which weren't is something that varied quite a bit year-to-year and market-to-market. Speaking very broadly the USA VDP models got the same level of trim as the ROW Daimlers...back when there still was a Daimler.

At minimum the seat *facings* for both front and rear seats will be leather. At the other extreme (as seen on an XJS I once owned), everything was leather covered: the entire seats, door trim panels, rear trim panels, the entire console, and all armrests.

I once owned a standard XJ6 where only the seat facings were leather....rather poorly matched, I might add. My X300/XJR has leather seat facings and armrests...that's it.

Since Connolly is no longer in business I wonder who supplies Jaguar these days?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Certainly taking no offense to the suggestion... just don't think it's correct. Connoly vs. other leathers? I have no idea. I have had other vehicles - Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, for example, that used leather for the seat bottoms (where you actually sit) and vinyl on the seat bolster's side support pieces, so it is a possiblilty... but not one that think Jaguar of the era would have found palatable.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

My 95 VDP had the 'Autolux" Connolly leather - light Ivory with contrasting piping - that was a special order. The entire interior was leather - anything that looked leather was leather. The car was sharp - Flameico (sp) exterior (RED) only made it one year.

The regular cars came with "leather seating surfaces" all the other areas are matching vinyl -- look at the head rests - the sides are not leather.

They did do some strange things as I have seen cars with various bits covered in leather that are vinyl in others.

My 02 XJR with black interior is leather in the seating areas only - plus the parking brake.

Not sure when Connolly was bought out -- the leather in the base cars was better in 95 then my 02. The "Autolux" leather was special -- I loved that 95 interior. The seats in the 95 were all done "in house"

The leather in the x350 is just ok -- I believe Lynch made the seats.

Last edited by yeldogt; 07-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Wow! That's an interesting one. I hate the idea of the big Jags having vinyl in the interiors! That should have become a class act suit back then.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Wow! That's an interesting one. I hate the idea of the big Jags having vinyl in the interiors! That should have become a class act suit back then.

I'll bet the advertsing and marketing guys got an earful over that foul-up :-)

Actually, Jags have had (lots of) vinyl in the interiors for ages and ages. The true "full leather" specification is the exception, not the rule.

In truth, the full leather on my XJS was a PITA. It becomes injured and scarred much more easily than a good vinyl. If you have kids or ever have to carry odd objects in the car, the full leather isn't all that it's cracked up to be, IMHO. Sure smells nice, tho :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I forget the up-charge for that VDP in 95. I believe it was 10k. Full leather interior and the wood was a little different plus tray tables. Wood/ leather wheel -- very new in 95. Wool carpets. Different grill and trunk trim.

It was expensive -- but nice.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I forget the up-charge for that VDP in 95. I believe it was 10k. Full leather interior and the wood was a little different plus tray tables. Wood/ leather wheel -- very new in 95. Wool carpets. Different grill and trunk trim.

It was expensive -- but nice.

The VDP's with the V8 engine have the same interior upgrades as a '95 but with a modernized design. My VDP has ivory with contrast piping seats, wood trays and so on.

The VDP has a leather console and rear console. The door arm rests, seat back pockets, hand brake, and even leather around the door pockets and lining the botton of the wood trays. The front seat sides, front, and entire headrest is leather. HOWEVER, the back of the front seat is vinyl, and the stitching around the back side of the seat joins leather and vinyl. Only the VDP, Super v8, and Diamler have this much leather. Some say the trunk strap to help close the lid is autolux leather too. It feels like it, but I'm not sure.

Basically in a VDP, when you drive, you only touch chrome (door handle) , leather (middle and door arm rests, parking brake, steering wheel), wood (steering wheel), and would basically only touch vinyl when
thoroughly cleaning the car from for instance.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by burmaz
The VDP's with the V8 engine have the same interior upgrades as a '95 but with a modernized design. My VDP has ivory with contrast piping seats, wood trays and so on.

The VDP has a leather console and rear console. The door arm rests, seat back pockets, hand brake, and even leather around the door pockets and lining the botton of the wood trays. The front seat sides, front, and entire headrest is leather. HOWEVER, the back of the front seat is vinyl, and the stitching around the back side of the seat joins leather and vinyl. Only the VDP, Super v8, and Diamler have this much leather. Some say the trunk strap to help close the lid is autolux leather too. It feels like it, but I'm not sure.

Basically in a VDP, when you drive, you only touch chrome (door handle) , leather (middle and door arm rests, parking brake, steering wheel), wood (steering wheel), and would basically only touch vinyl when
thoroughly cleaning the car from for instance.
That's a good answer. Much appreciated. Do you know about the later 2001-2003 XJR?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Doug is absolutely right about Jaguar using both leather and vinyl mixed.

Usually, starting back over 40 years ago and going forward, the leather was always used on the face of the seats, but not necessarily on the backs and sides, but if one bought a "Daimler" here in the UK leather was used on many more places, including the door panel trims. Somebody told me that a Jaguar had 2 hides in it and a Daimler 4. In later years, leather seems to be used in more places than I remember on my XJ6 Series 3. Even the pockets in the back of my 2003 XJ6 are leather, in fact there is much more than I expected when I bought the car, and I am pleasantly surprised.

Connolly used to be in Wimbledon, London, and moved out to a new factory in Ashford, Kent, and then went bust shortly afterwards, so if the name Connolly is still used, it must be by another company that bought the name, and the leather trade names like Autolux. I have watched the hides being marked out at the Browns Lane trim shop using a number of wooden shapes. Later on this was changed to a system that photographed the hides, then electronic shapes were put "onto" the hide, and it was then cut out using lasers rather than sharp knives. The hides all have to be inspected for faults before cutting, and it is a skilled job getting the maximum use out of a hide.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All leather over here, 2001 XJ8 4L with luxury Ivory. Front and rear seats including head rest, centre consol door arm rest etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a good answer. Much appreciated. Do you know about the later 2001-2003 XJR?

I believe the XJR has the same amount of leather as the base XJ8, which is leather is only used on the seat facings, steering wheel, parking brake, and head rest. I am not 100% sure however.

The full leather in my Vanden Plas is super delicate. I have Ivory leather and I have to make extreme efforts to ensure it doesnt tear or get damaged. The middle front arm rest and driver's door handle are easily damaged.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by burmaz
I believe the XJR has the same amount of leather as the base XJ8, which is leather is only used on the seat facings, steering wheel, parking brake, and head rest. I am not 100% sure however.

The full leather in my Vanden Plas is super delicate. I have Ivory leather and I have to make extreme efforts to ensure it doesnt tear or get damaged. The middle front arm rest and driver's door handle are easily damaged.
Yeah, I guess that's the downside. Although, I'd still rather have the top-line leather throughout.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ya'll are going to hate me for this but....

As a former supplier to the auto industry for many years, I hate to break this to everyone but what is typically perceived as "Leather" in a car typically is not.

In a Nutshell, Leather hides off the animal are about 3.0 mm thick and to make the leather more pliable, it is split into thinner sections.

Only very high end products get the top layer which is the good stuff. Most all others use the lower splits of a hide which is then Dyed to the color desired. The Dye or color is typically made of PolyVinyl or Urethane and forms a thin layer on top of the leather hide.

So technically none of us are sitting on "Leather" and no matter what the marketing guys say we are all sitting on or touching Vinyl.

This is why the seats crack. It's the vinyl that has lost it's elasticity and is now splitting.

Flame away....