XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 project - to do list and progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had very little time to give the Jag the attention it needs, doesn't mean I didn't do anything though.

Let's take it step by step, the things I stated in the openings post will be a very good point to start so here we go.

Solved problems:

• Rust! Right, what else is new?
    As everybody can read in the posts preceding this one the bodywork is fine now.
  • Sagging headliner
    Solved by getting the foam out and gluing the fabric directly to the panel, not the most original way of doing it but it works for me.
  • ESP/stability control error message
    • First off I took the control unit apart expecting the wires of the pump to be loose, they weren't. Re soldered them just the same to be sure.
    • Cleaned the wheel sensors, it didn't solve the problem but I can tell by the gunk I got out of those it wasn't in vain. Especially the rear ones were dirty.
    • I took my ohm-meter and checked the sensors, they turned out to be OK. Did the same at the end of the control-unit with the sensors connected and found out the right-front one didn't "respond".
    • Replaced the wiring and the error is gone! Happy days!!
    • Couldn't have done it without info from this forum which I appreciate very much! Yes, I did put my "Thank you's" on the helpful posts.
  • Battery on the edge of it's life, dead after one day in the yard
    Put a brand new Crompton battery in it (90Ah - 840CCA), the English members on the forum will know the brand. In the UK they are used in light trucks and delivery vans which are started up many times a day.
  • A good polish and wax won't do her any harm
    Sorted.
  • Dents in the bodywork
    Most of them are out, still have to address some minor ones. Living in France I wonder if it's worthwhile, after a visit to the local supermarket they may be in there again. The French really do not love their cars and even worse, they don't respect cars of others.
  • Remote (FOB) works sometimes. Got two of those, the other one is OK.
    Put new batteries in it and it's working fine now.
  • Fog lights at the front won't switch on/don't work
    Had a few things to sort out there:
    • Took the switch out to see if it worked, no problems at all
    • Checkd the fuses, not a single one blown
    • The obvious always comes last, checked the bulbs! The left one was broke and the right one wasn't even connected. Bought one new one because the other looked like it never ever had been on. Result is they work again without any difference in color.
  • Moisture in the left low beam headlight
    How simple can it get, it was not fitted properly.
  • Interior panels need to be fixed in place
    Done, together with the headliner.
  • Put the BC in French
    This item was not on the original list but being in France it should be French. Thanks to this forum I found out how to change the language from Dutch to French! Many thanks, this forum and the members are really TOP NOTCH!!!

Ongoing work:
  • Dash and center console back lights
    I replaced many back lights already but every time I think I'm finished I spot some more broken ones, the light of the J-gate is out, the lights of the switches for the cruise control and sport-mode of the gearbox and so on.
  • RUST!
    Discovered some more rust when I was under the car to solve the stability-control problem, turns out there is rust on both sides behind the front wheels. Some of it is rusted right through so the ol' welder and some new steel has to be used to solve that, hopefully tomorrow but I really don't know if I got time for it in the near future.
  • The underside needs a new body-protecting coat.
    This was not mentioned in the openings post but I saw it when I was under the car, before I actually start driving the Jag it will feel so much better when it's taken care of. I just can't leave it as it is, it'd feel like a crime to the Jag not to preserve it.

Still waiting to address:
  • Driver side mirror inoperative
  • Rear suspension bushings need to be renewed
    I'll wait till it passed (or not) it's MOT or vehicle inspection, can't wait to get a French license on it and enjoy driving it. Yes, there is a Dutch license on it but since I exported the Jag to France that's not valid anymore. Main concern is it's not insured at the moment, if anything happens .....
  • Rear bumper has a chrome strip in it which is loose at the right side
    Yep, still need to look at that.
  • Tires having the wrong speed-index.
    This one wasn't in the openings-post either, the Jag is fitted with winter-tires having a speed-index H. Meaning they are certified till 210km/h or 130MPH while the Jag can do 230km/h or 143MPH. They are very strict about that in France, it can even mean you're not insured if ever you get involved in an accident. We'll see what they say if it gets it's check over (MOT).

Quite some list it is.... Getting there in the end I'm sure.

Today I received the Certificate of Conformacy which in Europe is needed to prove the Jag was built to European standards. Without that piece of paper which cost € 180,- ($ 205,-) from Jaguar-France there is no way I can get a French license on it.
Now I can go and have the car inspected by (don't laugh) French technicians, once it's OK and I have the papers to prove it I can continue getting it registered.

Phew, a man's got to do what he has to do to get it right! Saying that I'm convinced it's worthwhile.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

You've done an amazing amount of work to get this Jag ready for use. Kudos!

Re Dash and center console back lights, would you explain exactly what you did to replace bulbs & if you took any photos? Disassembly & reassembly is difficult w/o damaging anything for the J-Gate backlights. I've seen nothing on replacing backlights in the dash.

I had posted this link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cklight-75330/
where he uses Radio Shack bulbs no. 272-1154, 12v, 50 mA. to replace J-Gate bulbs. (I think you call them console backlights) These are the lights for P,R,N,D,4,3,2 & the line next to those letters/#s near the gearshift. Also the backlights for the 2 buttons; Sport Mode & Cruise Control. He apparently also re-used blue covers from old bulbs. I imagine it gives the light a blue hue. Mine are all out after Jaguar dealer replaced my fuel injector & I do not recall what color they were b4.

My dash back light for the "Lock" all doors is now out. I'm sure the dealer would charge a small fortune to replace that just like they wanted >$800 to replace the J-Gate lights that I believe they caused to all go out at once.

Since most of the work is remove replace parts to access the lights, I assume it is best to replace all the bulbs while you're in there. Assuming you have soldering skill, which I do not.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you!

To replace the back lights you don't need to solder anything for the bulbs in the dash and center console, for the bulbs inside the switches and J-gate I have yet to find out.

I'll take some pics and make a description since I still have to replace some.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I've done a complete led update to the interior and there's a few that require soldering.
The bulbs that can be replaced by twistloc types are:
climate pack
IPK (inst cluster)
Door window packs
The J gate is a solder job, as is the radio console.
I soldered all of them inc resistors, i won't need to replace any for 100 years!
Name:  DSCF5752Large-1_zps69fa4f00.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  57.8 KB
Name:  DSCF4693Large-1.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  DSCF5727Large.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  28.3 KB
Name:  DSCF5729Large.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  34.9 KB

Last edited by Sean B; 06-22-2015 at 11:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean B:
bigcat777 (06-24-2015), Iconoclast (06-25-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story and the paint pictures. It gives me hope I will be able to
keep mine alive for years to come. I was fortunate to start with a rust free car.

I have a 1969 Camaro, that is a different story. The doors and roof are original....
Rust is a challenge. No short cuts either. It will be back otherwise.

Maybe in 10 years these cars will be worth $$$ since there aren't that many left.
You are doing a GREAT job.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice progress and I trully appreciate you doing this in your driveway with spray cans. I'm doing similar rust repairs on my jag.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Inspiring work and greatly appreciated!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

I wonder if Nick is still around here, he has been quiet since middle of last year.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

I wondered that too and I also noticed the absence.... Hope nothing bad happened..