XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 Tail light won’t turn off

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018 | 06:48 PM
|
Default X308 Tail light won’t turn off

Hi guys, I’ve been a long time ready and unfortunately the day for me to ask questions about my jag has come.
Ive got a 01’ XJ8 with an issue I’ve never seen before...I went outside last night to find that it’s right hand tail light is stuck on. Just the one bulb. No key in the ignition..the light was just on.
So I did the usual first try stuff, I turned the car on and off, I turned the lights on and off, tapped the brakes, unplugged the brake switch at the top of the pedal, checked the large and small fuse box under the hood, and put in a new bulb. No change whatsoever.
I swiched the tail light fixtures, and the lights came on in the opposite fixture. Except plugging in the left side fixture led to two different bulbs to illuminate.
All I really determined was that it’s not the bulb fixture or the bulb.
Okay guys, what should I look at next??

This car has always been fairly reliable, had it since beginning of 02’. It’s only ever needed a fuel pump, Abs module, headliner, and a thermostat, unfortunately the fuel pump was needed just two months ago...and now this. Kinda makes me concerned that the car was starting to show its age. It only has 66K on the odo.

I have never had an issue doing most repairs myself, I’m afraid this may have to be a dealer trip though. My preference is to fix it myself or at least determine the cause.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Old 06-01-2018 | 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome Aaron, please introduce yourself to the community in the... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ ...and tell us a bit of yourself and your Jag.

First off, the X308 model has some changes throughout its run and by providing the year and model would help dial with insight into your issue(s). You can put it in your signature using your User CP and that will save typing it each time.

Ok, for the taillight ...review this thread and get back to us... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orking-193530/ ...the wires in post #13 are known to be brittle as stated in the prior threads and may be crossed or another issue. But there is good info to start with there.

Old 06-02-2018 | 09:16 AM
|

Already done.

it is an 01' XJ8

I checked that out, ill get in the car later and check the wires but that doesn't sound like my issue. When the car is on all of the lights turn on fine. Its the one light that won't turn off at all(unless i disconnect the battery). The light is normal brightness, not dim or extra bright.

Old 06-02-2018 | 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Notice the difference between the stop light and the running / fog light . You can click on the print 2 times to expand the view and move around to the point of interest . My need a DIY " hard reset " of the SLCU if it is the stop light bulb .

Keep asking questions .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018 | 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Was this the switch you unplugged Aaron?
Part # LNB6420BB

Old 06-02-2018 | 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

This is what is looks like inside and the micro-switches can fail.

Lady Penelope (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018 | 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

There is a upgraded switch now aval .

Highhorse (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018 | 10:12 PM
|

Yes thats the switch! How can I test it? What should I be looking for?

Okay, so what should I be looking for to checkout the SLM? I gather that it is the module responsible for controlling the tail lights?
Ive done many car repairs but electrical stuff I am still a bit green on. I took apart the trunk earlier to get to the SLM to get the number off it if that is actually what needs to be replaced. Is there any way I can test it? I see on module masters.com they can rebuilt it, would that be a viable option?

I inspected the wires on the turn stalk, no issues there.

Thank you for that wiring guide Lady Penelope!

Old 06-02-2018 | 10:13 PM
|

Could that switch cause just one light on one side of the car to be stuck on though?

Old 06-02-2018 | 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AaronsJag
Could that switch cause just one light on one side of the car to be stuck on though?
Considered that and may be a anomaly that put you away from the main issue before swapping bulbs around .

Important : which bulb , the stop or running light ?

The brake switch will effect both L and R stop lights .

Switch testing is looking for a ground on pin 1 of the SLCU ( Orange / Green wire ) as you cycle the switch . Accurately read the resistance to ground as I found the key switch pin 5 corroded which is the ground path , The ground may be good enough to operate some things in the total electrical system but not good enough for others .

Easier to read this same Orange / Green wire by pulling the relay in the 3rd brake light . should be marked as # 2 in the newer relay marking system .

In all reality just watch your 3rd brake light as a test meter . But this method will not give you a value of a possible on the edge of bad ground signal . 2 different systems / control .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-02-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Highhorse (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018 | 10:53 PM
|

it is the stop/tail light.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lights-132389/ in the picture of post #20 its bulb B

Okay ill check those out tomorrow. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the orange wire, but I didn't check resistance.
What do you mean by pulling the relay?

Old 06-02-2018 | 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

If you pull the 3rd stop light relay out of the socket you can easier locate and read the O / G wire

Old 06-02-2018 | 11:23 PM
|

Okay I see, thank you!

Old 06-04-2018 | 10:08 PM
|

Okay so I did some playing around with the car. I inspected the wires like you mentioned to me lady penelope, no corrosion or anything suspicious.
I unplugged the module and took it out, and I turned the car on, all the bulbs worked normally.
I am going to go ahead and ship the module to module masters, they did the ABS module a few years back for this car. I spoke to them on the phone today and they told me there is a part in the module that can cause just 1 bulb to get stuck on.
If that doesn't work ill explore the issue more, but considering the wires and plugs look brand new on every part of the car I've seen, I don't suspect a faulty ground.

Now..on to a new issue..
During all this time with me unhooking the battery, could I have messed with the transmissions memory?? I know in a Volvo unplugging the battery for 30 min is a TCU reset and can affect the transmissions memory for shifting.
The reason I ask is because I was out driving the jag today and I went to start up from a stop light-rrrrr-bmppp--rrrr
I was like hold on a minute, this is new.... Its never had even the slightest shifting issue before. I know this wasn't happening a week ago.
It happened a few times, usually around the first shift after starting it would bump, almost like hitting a small pothole, then keep on going as normal. It happened probably 3-4 times that were obvious and another half a dozen times that were questionable. It didn't make any noises or clunks, but it sure didn't feel like the normal floating on a cloud.

Old 06-04-2018 | 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AaronsJag
.on to a new issue..
During all this time with me unhooking the battery, could I have messed with the transmissions memory?? I know in a Volvo unplugging the battery for 30 min is a TCU reset and can affect the transmissions memory for shifting.
The reason I ask is because I was out driving the jag today and I went to start up from a stop light-rrrrr-bmppp--rrrr
I was like hold on a minute, this is new.... Its never had even the slightest shifting issue before. I know this wasn't happening a week ago.
It happened a few times, usually around the first shift after starting it would bump, almost like hitting a small pothole, then keep on going as normal. It happened probably 3-4 times that were obvious and another half a dozen times that were questionable. It didn't make any noises or clunks, but it sure didn't feel like the normal floating on a cloud.
Before you push the ZF5HP24 transmission too hard and break the " A " drum look up Transgo pressure regulator valve replacement and bore size up Mod in this X308 section and is common .

http://akpp-ivanovo.ru/wp-content/up...5HP24-diag.pdf

Just need to drop the Xmission pan and the kit is around 60 dollars .

The SC engine uses a MB transmission .

My Mom said I need to go to bed now .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-05-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2018 | 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have a 5HP-24-PR kit and a case connector for the harness coming into the trans. If you need it, we can work out something, PM me.

Lady Penelope (06-05-2018)
Old 06-09-2018 | 08:30 PM
|

Ill check out that Lady penelope, thanks.

The unit has been repaired and is on the way back. I should have it in the car tuesday or wednesday!

The following 2 users liked this post by AaronsJag:
Highhorse (06-09-2018), Lady Penelope (06-09-2018)