XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 vs. S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016 | 12:52 PM
|
Default X308 vs. S-Type

Hello all,

While I would prefer an XJ6 (preferably the x300), my other options are an X308 and a S-Type. Now I know that these are two different cars, competing in different classes, but my question is, which is easier to live with? Which car gets better fuel economy, easier diy maintenance, etc.

Thank you all!

Old 08-03-2016 | 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

I owned the Lincoln LS for 5 years (pretty much same as S-type) an x300 for 6 years and my current XJR. IMHO the ride/room/comfort on the s-type/LS is far behind the comfort/room/presence of the x300/308. In short as a Jaguar guy I would never even contemplate an s-type or x-type (ducking the daggers)😁

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Ashton Dimovski (08-03-2016), xjay8 (12-17-2016)
Old 08-03-2016 | 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I owned the Lincoln LS for 5 years (pretty much same as S-type) an x300 for 6 years and my current XJR. IMHO the ride/room/comfort on the s-type/LS is far behind the comfort/room/presence of the x300/308. In short as a Jaguar guy I would never even contemplate an s-type or x-type (ducking the daggers)😁
I would tend to agree. An X-Type is literally a Ford Mondao (contour) with some wood paneling. And the S-Type is basically a re-skinned Thunderbird or LS (They share the same Chassis) however the X-308 series is totally independent. The XJ8 more or less put Jaguar back on the maps. Nothing on the market comes close to being remotely in the same category; it has a presence about it that is second only to none.

The following users liked this post:
Ashton Dimovski (08-03-2016)
Old 08-04-2016 | 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

The S-Type got a major redesign of suspension etc that the LS never got so try a 2003+

Ashton Dimovski (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016 | 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Unsure where people get info (not trying to start an argument) but the LS under went the redesign to suspensions, eng etc in 03

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

Old 08-04-2016 | 11:10 AM

Wow! This will open a can of worms. Personal preferences are just that, personal and everyone is entitled to their opinion (even when it's wrong )

I have owned both an S-type (notice the singular) and several XJs (notice the plural). The S-type was a fine, if not bland, badge engineered car. It was rock steady reliable, but was a bit soulless. It did deliver good mileage.

My XJs were in a different league altogether. Thier classic styling, performance and ride are what sets them apart from all the other performance/luxury sedans out there. Are they temperamental? They can be. Do they have a higher incidence of maintenance issues? Not necessarily, especially when compared to their brethren (think BMW, MB). All cars in this class require regular attention to keep them in top shape...much like a thoroughbred race horse. And just like that racehorse, when you push it and run it hard, it delivers an experience that is not easily forgotten. It touches the soul like few others.

So the short answer is if you want to own a jaguar to say you own a jaguar, then go with an S-type (never an x-type, ugh)! You will get a decent, reliable car with decent mileage. On the other hand, if you want the true Jaguar experience, are somewhat talented in the DIY department or have some disposable income, step up to an XJ (an '03 XJ8L or an XJR is my recommendation). You will be rewarded with an experience and a car that will change your view of what driving is all about.

The following 2 users liked this post by LeLimoMan:
Ashton Dimovski (08-04-2016), Johnny_B (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016 | 03:39 PM
|

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone! Really helped a lot!

Old 08-04-2016 | 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Unsure where people get info (not trying to start an argument) but the LS under went the redesign to suspensions, eng etc in 03

Lincoln LS V-8 Sport - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
It got maybe half the changes - if that. Didn't get the 4.2 or the supercharger let alone the stiffening the STR got. Etc.

Still, depends what a driver wants. Very different feel on the road.

Old 08-04-2016 | 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

I have both. X308 all.day.long.

That v8 is shoehorned into the Stype. Its also a bit cramped to get in and out of compared to the X308. So:
1. Hard to work on BZZZT! strike ONE!
2. Not super comfortable BZZT! Strike TWO!
3. Wife loves to drive it and it is an R DING! DING Ball ONE!

Seriously, drive both and pick the one you like, keeping in mind the downsides listed..

Old 08-04-2016 | 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

The X308 is an XJ.

It is visually and mechanically a direct decendant of all of its
XJ predecessors.

The S-Type is some sort of parts bin exercise having no real
pedigree of any kind. You can even get it with a V6!

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Amelorn (08-10-2016), Ashton Dimovski (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016 | 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

LOL Plums. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 08-04-2016 | 07:38 PM

I'd tend to agree, with you Plums, the S-Type (at least the Modern S-Type) really has no pedigree, don't get me wrong, it's an alright looking machine, it's reliable enough, no serious issues, will get you from point a to point b. However, the XJ series has a long history, still maintains a bit of that Sir Lyons class, it has a particular sense of... Importance to it, a style and feel that I believe no other auto manufacture in the known world has ever been able to come close with. A large family saloon, boasting a 300 (290) horse power N/A 4.0 Petrol V8, a ride so smooth it'd give Barry White's voice a run for it's money, and an incredible driving experience on the track... It's much like what's his face from Top Gear put it... It's like a business man wearing something very kinky under the business suit. If you want a proper Jag experience I believe the few shortcoming of the X308 are not enough reason to over look this awesome piece of machinery.

Old 08-05-2016 | 09:27 AM
Default S-type vs. X308

I've owned a V8 S-type and currently own an XJR. And aside from the basic engine architecture they are very different cars.
S-type:
- much more modern chassis design, significantly more rigid, - steering and handling are much crisper, it drives like a modern car
- there is a good deal of aluminum in the running gear, resulting in better chassis dynamics due to lower unsprung weight
- it is much more practical because the rear seats fold so you can carry oversized loads, skis, mountain bikes, etc
- the trunk lid pops and opens via the remote, making loading groceries much easier

X308:
- you can tell right away that it is an 80's chassis, it is not space efficient, rear seats don't fold, the trunk is shallow, and there is a lot of unsprung weight in the suspension
- driving the X308 for the first time was like stepping back in time; after climbing out of the S-type, the XJR made me slightly terrified of the chassis compliance and monumental amount of bump steer
- X308 suspension is better damped but not as well controlled, even with new bushings you can feel things compress and move about resulting in a slightly “floaty” feeling

But, all that said, the X308 is a much better car overall. You can feel right away that it is a vehicle designed to a different price point. The noise insulation is better, the seats are heavenly to sit in for hours on end, things that look like metal in the interior are actually metal, all cubby covers are nicely damped, plastics quality is generally better, the wood looks deeper, the exterior paint appears thicker, etc, etc. Oh, and it has the most expensive hood(bonnet) closing sound I have ever heard! It’s just one solid thud, no vibrations, no resonances, no tinny noises, just a solid thud.

Overall, the S-type is a more modern and practical vehicle, but the X308 is much more “special” in the true Jaguar sense. It feels like old money when you’re driving it. And, at least in my experience, stupid small annoying things don’t break as often on the X308 as they do on the S-type. Even when you use it as a winter beater like I do. But your mileage may vary..

The following 3 users liked this post by marktmv:
Ashton Dimovski (08-05-2016), epereira (12-20-2016), xjay8 (12-17-2016)
Old 08-05-2016 | 06:24 PM
|

That was very helpful, thanks marktmv

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Mark, I've never had any noticeable bump steer on mine, on the contrary, mine always continued straight over bumps, plowing daily over hundreds of nyc potholes with ease, and this is despite having nearly everything in the suspension worn out and just replaced. Something is wrong with your suspension or steering.

Old 08-10-2016 | 01:52 PM

My front suspension has been completely overhauled, but I still observe this behavior. And what I mean by bump steer is not the change of direction but the feedback to the steering wheel when going over road irregularities. Now that I’m used to it, I appreciate the feedback that it provides to me about the road conditions. But going from a modern car, especially one with electric steering assist, the X308 steering may feel a little disconcerting.

Old 08-10-2016 | 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by plums
The X308 is an XJ.

It is visually and mechanically a direct decendant of all of its
XJ predecessors.

The S-Type is some sort of parts bin exercise having no real
pedigree of any kind. You can even get it with a V6!
Plums: Come for the hilariously on-point avatar pic, stay for the no-BS truth in his posts.

bdboyle (12-18-2016)
Old 08-10-2016 | 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by marktmv
My front suspension has been completely overhauled, but I still observe this behavior. And what I mean by bump steer is not the change of direction but the feedback to the steering wheel when going over road irregularities. Now that I’m used to it, I appreciate the feedback that it provides to me about the road conditions. But going from a modern car, especially one with electric steering assist, the X308 steering may feel a little disconcerting.
I have noticed this condition myself, however going over bumps causes the wheel to move and in turn the car to move slightly. I am curious if this could be a sign of a possibly failing steering rack..?

Old 08-10-2016 | 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Plums: Come for the hilariously on-point avatar pic, stay for the no-BS truth in his posts.
The story behind the avatar was that it was cooked up by no less than
three moderators as a joke. They stuck it in one day when my back
was turned and it's been there ever since. The "Hammer of Thor" was
added at my request

Old 08-10-2016 | 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by marktmv
... but the feedback to the steering wheel when going over road irregularities.
That's a very desirable trait in any vehicle with sporting aspirations.

In fact, it was the whole point behind rack and pinion steering.

Quick Reply: X308 vs. S-Type