XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 XJ8 3.2 1998 Radio and AC Ilumination

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 01:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default X308 XJ8 3.2 1998 Radio and AC Ilumination

Hello everyone!
I found a great 1998 XJ8 in Bulgaria which is my new home, which was original sold in Spain and it's a British Racing Green with Beige interior, pretty much the dream Jag! It has however certain European quirks since it's not quite "fully loaded" as you'd expect from an American version, no sunroof, no leaper (I KNOW!!!!!!), partially electric seats meaning only the height is regulated and the rest is pretty much standard. The engine is a V8 3.2 instead of a 4.0.
Some issues with relays and fuses for it was sitting for a few years but the basics are working now. There is one thing that makes me crazy though, the radio (except for the display), the AC controls (except for the display), the clock, the shifter and the window switches all work perfectly but have no illumination. I know that the light bulbs are very easy to replace except for the ones on the radio, but since it's hard to find parts locally I haven't ordered them yet. I'm shocked that all of them would be out, which is very strange. The normal thing is for some to still be alive as is the case with the speedometer which on the leftmost part is weak and also a little bit on the fuel gauge, but I find it odd that the central console and the window switches are all in the dark. Does anyone have experience on this? I am hoping there is some kind of circuit or fuse or relay that went bad before dismounting everything!
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-25-2022, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 822 Posts

If some of them are lit up, it means it’s time to replace all the bulbs. It’s a 24 year old car. I had to replace all the window switch back lighting bulbs, clock, climate control, instrument cluster, fog light and trip meter back lighting bulbs. It’s a process but it has to get done.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 620 Posts

I would first check the position of the dimmer.

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (02-26-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The position of the dimmer has been checked, it works and the instrument cluster dims properly. There is not a single bulb on the clock, the ac controls, the radio and any of the window switches, which leads me to believe there might be some other underlying cause since it's highly unlikely that all the lights would go out at once. The display in both the radio and the ac do work and get illuminated with the lights on. I've been going through the relays and fuses to see if something in there might be the cause but no luck yet. Any input will be highly appreciated. If I have to replace all the bulbs so be it, but since they are not something that I can get overnighted to Bulgaria and shipping will steep up the cost I would like to have some more certainty, I don't want to be in the position that I am two bulbs short of finishing the venture.
Cheers!