XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

x308 XJR/Super V8 vs XJ8/VDP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default x308 XJR/Super V8 vs XJ8/VDP

Hi,

If this is old news/question do feel free to point me at prior thread. Still...

As per my prior note yesterday about whether Super-V8 was offered in flat BRG (to match my yr 2000 XKR), I am toying with hunting a 2002-3 X308. I ask for your input regarding costs/benefits of the "R" (either typical trim or as VDP).

Does one or the other have a major down side?

I like the grill better on the XJR than that seen on the other three (iirc even the Super V8 has the vertically lined typical grill). Obviously extra horses are nice. If XK-8/R issues map onto the X308, the R/Super-V8 gets the stronger Mercedes transmission. I admit I'm not crazy about the black steering wheel and dash top seen with the XJR (even on the otherwise lighter interiors) but I can live with that.

Other points?

Oh, and at risk again of a tidal wave, given the year should preclude tensioner probs, anything else critical to assess at first peek?

I'll likely hunt a ~50kmiles (or fewer) car, and will likely pay for a full dealer inspection (where available) of serious candidate cars.

Too, besides longer wheelbase and a bit more wood, any upgrades found in Super-V8 vs XJR?

Thanks kindly,

David

Last edited by david i; 08-29-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

David,

Since I was the only reply to your other post, I'll go ahead with this one too

Alongside my 2000 XJR which I've owned for a long time, I had a brief flirtation with a 2003 Super V8. It was black on black, and had been traded in at our local dealer by the original owner. I saw it there and bought it, figuring I might want to upgrade from my XJR or else give it to my wife.

In a nutshell, the SV8 is indeed a lovely car. Loads of power and with all the VdP accoutrements. If you're after a 2003, you won't have to deal with any timing chain issues since it'll have the latest kit in it, and as you say, the MB auto box is right on bulletproof. The only thing I guess, to take into consideration is failure of one of the CATS dampers, but other than that, those are fine cars.

In the end, I decided to keep my XJR as I preferred the overall dynamics of the short wheelbase car, even though the overall quietness of the ride/ lack of harshness was much better in the SV8. A friend of mine took the Super off my hands and is loving it, meanwhile my XJR is nearing 230,000 miles on the odometer and still running like an English steam locomotive.

Funny, I'm actually at a crossroads with what to do with my XJR again as I've recently bought a 2006 Maserati Quattroporte which I'm going to likely make into my new daily driver, and a friend down in south Florida has always wanted my XJR as he knows I've sunk a fortune into its upkeep and all the
major biggies have been done (chains, steering rack, etc..) however I'm quite attached to the XJ, so I'm really wrestling with what to do!! Not a bad dilemma I suppose.

You ask about any additional options on the SV8 versus XJR. The answer is; nope! You hit the nail on the head with the differences; longer wheelbase & more wood. And obviously a softer ride in the SV8 but will firm up when pushed.

Anyhow, good luck in your search for the perfect SV8. At times I wish I'd have kept mine and just made my wife drive it, but I figure we need to keep one 'practical' car in the family (she has a Subaru).

Oh, I suppose the one area where you and I differ is the opinion on the front grille; I think the mesh is great on the XJR but the SV8 must have the chrome, fluted VdP item!!

Cheers,
Aaron

Last edited by bergxu; 09-02-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by david i
Hi,

If this is old news/question do feel free to point me at prior thread. Still...

As per my prior note yesterday about whether Super-V8 was offered in flat BRG (to match my yr 2000 XKR), I am toying with hunting a 2002-3 X308. I ask for your input regarding costs/benefits of the "R" (either typical trim or as VDP).

Does one or the other have a major down side?

I like the grill better on the XJR than that seen on the other three (iirc even the Super V8 has the vertically lined typical grill). Obviously extra horses are nice. If XK-8/R issues map onto the X308, the R/Super-V8 gets the stronger Mercedes transmission. I admit I'm not crazy about the black steering wheel and dash top seen with the XJR (even on the otherwise lighter interiors) but I can live with that.

Other points?

Oh, and at risk again of a tidal wave, given the year should preclude tensioner probs, anything else critical to assess at first peek?

I'll likely hunt a ~50kmiles (or fewer) car, and will likely pay for a full dealer inspection (where available) of serious candidate cars.

Too, besides longer wheelbase and a bit more wood, any upgrades found in Super-V8 vs XJR?

Thanks kindly,

David
In addition to more wood and longer wheelbase, the Super v8/VDP have a higher quality leather, and much more leather around the interior than the XJR. They also have lambswool floormats wereas the XJR has standard floormats.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 AM

Good points. Forgot those.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

David,
The only thing I would add is that my XJR has a wood - leather steering wheel. I have no experience with the Super V8s, but I love the XJR.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by smtguy
David,
The only thing I would add is that my XJR has a wood - leather steering wheel. I have no experience with the Super V8s, but I love the XJR.
Super V8 does too.