XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ Fuses and Fuse Boxes 1998-2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

jim...thanks for this info....i have another new thread.....as i lost my rear night lights/lamps....as well as the rear left and right side lights......license plate lights also out......i am thinking fuse number 19 ...i am working off the vehicle care xj series booklet......location is luggage compartment fuse box-electrical carrier......am i headed in the right direction?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, everyone. The dimmer fuse in the left hand heelboard was the culprit even though my fuse probe showed it working. Go figure. My "grain of wheat" incandescent bulb still is not lit in the overhead console. I will test that and try a different size -- with the power off this time.

Thanks again for getting me out of the dark!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Look like there are 2 types of bulbs that go into the Roof Console -
Roof console central courtesy light (12V 5W Capless long life) and
Roof console map light (12V 6W Caples).

JTIS removal instructions:
Interior/Map Reading Lamp Disconnect battery ground cable; refer to 86.15.19.
Remove roof console; refer to 76.13.69.90.
Remove switch module.
Place console on soft, clean surface.Remove six screws.
Carefully remove module from console.Remove bulbs from module.

Also look at Page 67 in the 2000 XJ Vehicle Care Handbook - has illustration of the removal of the module.

Page section is 5-17
Roof Console Interior/Reading Lights and Bulb Renewal
Press the button on the roof console to open the sun-glasses stowage compartment.

Turn the fastener located in the sun-glasses compartment 90∞ anti-clockwise.
Lower the roof console rear end slightly and withdraw it rearwards.
Unplug the connector and place the console on a soft, clean surface.
Remove the six screws from the main housing screw positions as identified on the moulding, then ease the housing away from the console.

Remove the bulb(s) and fit new ones of correct type, as illustrated on the moulding, fitment of the correct type is essential, see page 5-18.

Replace the main housing locating the bulb end first, then replace the screws do not over tighten.
Reconnect the roof console connector and refit the console, with the front end first, then locate the rear and secure with the fastener.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-30-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

looks like i can close out my thread on my rear lights problem...simply changed fuse 19 and 21 in luggage area fuse box.....with new 5 amp fuses....problem solved .....rear lights and side lights for night driving.....working...appreciate the info and post....jim......

Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
JTIS21 apparently has a mistake in it. The XJ models for year 2000 shows the Cigar Lighters fuse is in the Rear Right-Hand Heel-board – Fuse number 14 – 25 amps

The 2000 XJ Vehicle Care Handbook shows:
Cigar Lighters fuse is in the Luggage Compartment Fuse Box – Fuse number 5 – 25 amps
Thanks for posting this. It was extremely helpful to me and saved me a ton of time looking for this fuse after I didn't find it where it was supposed to be according to the manual in my '99 VDP SC. That listed the right rear heelboard panel location, but it was in fact in the trunk, Fuse #5 at 25 amps.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (09-08-2014)
Old 03-14-2015, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What fuses under the hood of the 1998 JAG XJ8 WORK TO GET THE ENGINE TO TURN OVER WHEN SWAPPED WITH EACH OTHER WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE IS WORKING CORRETLY. rHONDA hART 918 775 8502

Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 PM

after inserting key and starting jag i get ten dings on some alarm? no idea what its for . any help would be helpful.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Default relay for radiator fans

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hello hi there where is the fuse for the radiator fans thank you
Since there are 5 fuse boxes in the 1998 through 2003 XJ models, I though it would be a good idea to identify what sources are available that provide the best information about them.

There are 4 sources that are on this forum Driver Handbook, Vehicle Care Handbook, JTIS21 Shop Repair Manual, and the Electrical Guides PDF files.

Divers Handbook
The only search results for the search term fuse resulted in going to the index that gave the Vehicle Car Handbook as the handbook to find the information.

2000 XJ8 Vehicle Care Handbook
Fuses and Fuse box information and locations also gives the fuse number (used to locate fuse in box ), fuse amps and the circuit info (Pages 4-12 through 4-20).

Example: looking for the LH air conditioning blower motor fuse, find it in the Rear LH Heal-board Fuse Box, Fuse number 11, Fuse 20 Amps and Circuit is Air Conditioning Left-Hand Blower Motor (page 4-19)

Relays and their locations Pages 4-22 through 4-24.

JTIS21 Shop Repair Manual
Fuses and Fuse Boxes information and location is found by using the Service menu – XJ Range then any of the Model Years (1998 through 2003) it does not matter which model year, the Fuse Box locations and information is the same.

Use the Text Navigator (brings up the index – list of 5 sections – General Information, Chassis, Power Train, Electrical, Body and Paint). Use the Electrical section, go down to 418-00 Module Communications Network, click on it and it opens to sub-menu items, click on Description and Operation, then click on Communications Network.

The Communications Network provides a vehicle diagram that shows all 5 of the fuse box locations & relays (Engine Management, Engine Compartment, Rear Left-Hand Heel-board, Rear Right-Hand Heel-board, Trunk Fuse Box).

It also gives for the details for each Fuse Box (diagram, fuse number, fuse amps, what circuit it covers).

The Electrical Guide PDF Files are also included in the JTIS21 Manual.
It has a vehicle diagram and fuse box locations, but I believe would take a lot more time to find the fuses and relay components information (such as what fuse box has the air conditioning LH blower motor fuse).

I could not find the fuse number references for the fuse boxes. A PDF search on fuse number gave no results.

Jim Lombardi