XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ Vanden Plas conversion to Super V8 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts
Default XJ Vanden Plas conversion to Super V8 question

Been looking, but not finding exactly what I want in an 02-03 Super V8...

Here's a question... If I pick up a good body/interior Vanden Plas, could I theoretically, drop in a supercharged engine, trans, exhaust, LSD, suspension without many other issues?

I'm going to do those regardless with the Twin Screw and modify a Super V8 anyways. Figured that i could get a rebuilt engine, Avos's twin screw and other modes and have the same thing.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

yes but you'll need lots of other items too for a true conversion, just off the top of my head I can think of:

Trans computer
ECU
different springs
CATS suspension computer etc
different instrument cluster

I'm not sure if any of these things would be essential but they would contribute to a full conversion

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

the conversion is purely mechanical and electric. I dont think there are many (if any) exterior changes needed

Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
the conversion is purely mechanical and electric. I dont think there are many (if any) exterior changes needed
Thats what I thought. So I can get a new motor, trans, suspension, differential, and exhaust and go to town...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

dont forget ECU

.....and a superV8 badge

Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Tranmission ECU is different, transmission wiring harness is different, transmission selector lever switch is different (XJ8 has rotary switch, XJR has dual linear switch).

Differential is not available as an LSD unit-use the unit from a 4.0L XJ8, as the 3.2L diff has a different ratio.

Fuel pump arrangement is different on the XJR with slightly different wiring layout from the transmission selector switch to the engine control module-XJR has 2 fuel pumps & extra wiring.

Engine management system is different & XJR has detail engine management wiring harness differences to allow for the fact it has a manifold pressure sensor to register the boost pressure of the supercharger for fuellling purposes, unlike the standard XJ8. XJR doesn not have the VVT system on the standard XJ8 either.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Red October
Tranmission ECU is different, transmission wiring harness is different, transmission selector lever switch is different (XJ8 has rotary switch, XJR has dual linear switch).

Differential is not available as an LSD unit-use the unit from a 4.0L XJ8, as the 3.2L diff has a different ratio.

Fuel pump arrangement is different on the XJR with slightly different wiring layout from the transmission selector switch to the engine control module-XJR has 2 fuel pumps & extra wiring.

Engine management system is different & XJR has detail engine management wiring harness differences to allow for the fact it has a manifold pressure sensor to register the boost pressure of the supercharger for fuellling purposes, unlike the standard XJ8. XJR doesn not have the VVT system on the standard XJ8 either.

You just ruined my afternoon

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by princemarko
You just ruined my afternoon
Oops-sorry

The conversion can be done-it's just a lot of work & you need to know all the small detail differences between the XJ8 & XJR. For instance, the propshaft is a different part number on the XJR...

The XJR has 2 fuel pumps as the second pump is required to supply more fuel at high engine speeds & loads for the increased engine power output etc.

You could always get a Super V8 model with the supercharged engine/drivetrain already present & then have it resprayed in black

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Couple of weeks ago there was a XJ8 on Ebay that ended up with bent valves (tensioner). The owner had a "bright" idea to swap the engine and tranny with the XJR units (kinda like what you are dreaming about). Said: "everything bolted up correctly (!) but after two years of trying to get it to start, I gave up, and it's for sale. It would be a GREAT car if someone is willing to spend the time to get it to run...."

Sounds like a NIGHTMARE to me. As much as I would like to have it (maybe for bragging rights only!), I would NOT even attempt something like that. More trouble than it's worth IMHO.

If it HAS to be black,......I'd go with the above suggestion,....I know a GREAT body shop where they paint show cars (my XJS was painted there), and the paint job is WAY better than from the factory. Not cheap, mind you, but WAY less expense and aggravation than the conversion you are thinking about.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Aye, it's a pretty major operation to change the whole drivetrain of the car & if the conversion didn't work, then you'd have no idea where to start.

It's a massive project to get right, so it's probably easier just to get a supercharged VDP & have it resprayed in your desired colour. The big advantage of this method is that you can sort out any bodywork & rust problems before doing the full respray-so you'd have a virtually new car.

Removing the door trim panels & other bits of trim is a lot less work than a complete drivetrain change, in the knowledge that it might not even work when you bolt it all back together & try to fire it up.