XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 2000 door handle replaced/ window not operating

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 2000 door handle replaced/ window not operating

A local Jag mechanic replaced our driver's side door handle. In doing so the window on the drivers side is suddenly not working. The driver's side window has never been a problem. He suggested I need a new motor for the window! It seems obvious that installing the door handle caused some problem with the window. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Old 12-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts
Default RE: XJ8 2000 door handle replaced/ window not operating

Strange failures can occur at the most inoportune times....but in this case I suspect a connector that isn't fully seated.

(Are all the windows inoperative from the master switch? That would be a good clue)

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 PM

Thank you DD. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will check the main switch and report back...

Cheers to you too,

Missmaryquinn

Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

if thats the only thing not working I would suspect he forgot to plug the elctrical connector back into the window rail motor.........

Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 PM

Doug and Brutal,

Thanks to you both.
Checked the main window switch and all windows work but the driver's side.
I see a second message on this frustrating situation...this is so helpful. I will
talk to the mechanic tomorrow with all these fancy new terms. He's a nice
guy hope he will take it apart and check...

I left the mechanic's assistant saying I was not happy about this new situation.

Missmaryquinn

Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Under the circumstances he should (and most likely will since you say he is a nice guy) open it back up to double check his work.

I predict this is an honest mistake (we're all human) and, with any luck, all parties can walk away smiling and none the worse for wear. If it turns out he left something disconnected he'd be smart to own up tothe goof....the sort of honesty that the consumer should be grateful for.

How a repair shop (or any business) responds to a problem is usually a pretty good measure of their quality and integrity. The same can be said for the consumer, so don't go in with both guns blazing !

Good luck
DD

Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I called the mechanic and got his assistant. I feel I was friendly and polite. I asked her if she could relay the question about the window rail motor. The mechanic came to the phone and in a defensive tone he went right into how he spent time trying to fix the window. .in fact he spent 25 minutes trying to fix the window.....he said he thought he had relayed that to me. Yes, he had checked the connections, specifically the window rail motor. He said he checked the window motor and I needed a new motor. Again saying he thought he had relayed that to me. I responded that I was aware of what he had said.... I was calling because I wanted to know if he checked the connector to the window motor rail....again he said he did check. I would say his verbal costumer service could use improvement. When he initially told me about the window motor he said the repair was not expense. Yet when I checked with the assistant for the cost of the new motor it was about $700.00 plus the labor and then taxes ....before you know it we are close to $1,000. I think that is expensive, even if it is a Jag. Am I out of line? Also should I go elsewhere and have another shop double check the connections? I don't feel like taking the car back to this mechanic to put in a new window motor.
Again I appreciate your thoughts.

Missmaryquinn

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

If you're not comfortable with this guy then by all means find another shop. They can double check the diagnosis. Besides, if it turns out that you do have to spend $700-$1000 it might as well be spent with someone you like.

Good luck
DD

Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Dear Doug,

Yours is very sound advice. You are right I am not comfortable. Thanks so much.

Missmaryquinn

Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

while I dont pay much attention to parts prices(if you need it you need it,) $700 seems real high to me, cause we charge about $400 for new rails and motor, and Ken at Motorcars is less than that. I would call Ken and ask him about avail of motor and rails seperatly he's a site sponsor just click on the icon. And a quick way to check if even the motor is bad or the switch, is to global open the windows, if they open you need a switchpack, if all but the drivers door open,then motors bad, circuit, and or wiring. But the most common failure is the switchpack(Ijust put 1 in yesturday for mirrors inop) But if he had the door open I dont understand(well I do actually) why 25min. to diag as all you do is pin the connector for power and grounds, hit the switch up/down and if you have signal its the motor, if not probobly just the switchpack

Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Thank you Brutal,

If it turns out I need a new motor I will check with Ken. Thanks for that one....
I don't believe I have a global open feature. As mentioned all the other windows are operating from all the sources. (The driver's side window makes a slight click sound when pressing the button to open but does not move at all.)
I will take the car to another shop and have them do a double check on the connections, switch plate and window motor rail. At least I know what to say now...so helpful.
If it needs a new motor specifically for the driver's side window, so be it. You have given me a lovely Christmas present in the knowledge you have bestowed....