XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

xj8-2000 long whats up with gas cap lid/cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question xj8-2000 long whats up with gas cap lid/cover?

a little clarification and help please....now that my emgine light on problem is solved i have come up with another minor issue...i went to sunoco to get gas and the attendant could not raise the lid/cover....had to get out of line...i spent about a half hour trying to figure out what button or gismo i may have touched to lock the lid...and than went to my owners manual...

long story short...i managed to release it manually by getting at the latch under the gas fill neck in the truck...it is now unlocked ....in reading the manual i get a sense that if all doors are locked or maybe more accurately if you use the key to enter the car without resetting the remote the gas cap lid will lock.....i do not think there is anything wrong with the locking mechanism....but can anyone clarify whats going on here....thanks...

Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Try it with the remote.

The lid should be unlocked anytime the car is not locked.

That means if you go to a self-serve, take the key out of the ignition, but do not lock the car, the lid should still open when you try to fuel the car.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
a little clarification and help please....now that my emgine light on problem is solved i have come up with another minor issue...i went to sunoco to get gas and the attendant could not raise the lid/cover....had to get out of line...i spent about a half hour trying to figure out what button or gismo i may have touched to lock the lid...and than went to my owners manual...

long story short...i managed to release it manually by getting at the latch under the gas fill neck in the truck...it is now unlocked ....in reading the manual i get a sense that if all doors are locked or maybe more accurately if you use the key to enter the car without resetting the remote the gas cap lid will lock.....i do not think there is anything wrong with the locking mechanism....but can anyone clarify whats going on here....thanks...
On mine, the Electrical Solenoid was bad. I bought a used one at a wrecking yard (I think $5), installed, and has worked since.

Open the Lid and watch it when you lock and unlock your car. The plunger should go in and out. If not, check fuses/wiring. If power is getting there but it's not moving, probably time to replace the solenoid.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I think if you accidentally hit VALET it will lock too. I did that accidentally and it was HELL getting it back to normal. I only have the one key so I can't even get more made becuase the nearest Jag dealer is 3.5 hours away.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM

all great info and tips which i very much appreciate....yes i may have hit the valet button by accident , other posibility.... although car /ignition was on (key in and running) ..locks may have been on..... i will definately check the plunger for movement but i think its ok....just for the record there is no self serve in new jersey...i think one of 2 states that does not allow you to put gas in your own car.....

Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Jagjunky...how quaint,no self serve! What year is it there?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Don't judge too hard, Gippsland. Probably it's prohibited for a very good reason. Like too many twits setting gas stations on fire during self service.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM

its been this way for ever even before epa....i think either washington state or oregon only other state that does not allow you to self-serve beside new jersey....new jersey retail gasoline association has a strangle hold on legislators...the good news is and because we have alot of refineries in the state...we have some of the cheapest gas in the country...despite the rediculous state tax on gasoline.....