XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 2002 SatNav

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 2002 SatNav

I have purchased a Sat nav from a 2002 XJ8 , all connectors were in my car but when I press the sat nav button on the head unit nothing happens .The unit is powered ok and the CD player selects correctly so as it passes through the Sat nav unit the connections are ok.Do I have to enable the head unit in some way to enable it to see the sat nav unit ? has anybody else retro fitted a sat nav unit to their XJ8.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not installed one in an XJ. But you don't mention whether you installed the GPS antenna. If not I assume you will have to install the GPS antenna. My 01 XJ8L has a factory Nav DVD deal. I have no idea where the GPS antenna is but I can scout around.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel
I have not installed one in an XJ. But you don't mention whether you installed the GPS antenna. If not I assume you will have to install the GPS antenna. My 01 XJ8L has a factory Nav DVD deal. I have no idea where the GPS antenna is but I can scout around.
The car had all the wiring in place including the anntena , I just plugged the unit in - 2 multiplugs at the rear ,the anntena , and a link cable which i took to the sat nav then on to the cd multi-changer.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM
DBX
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

navigation gps antenna - connector ic41 / 2-way hirose coax gt5 series / color grey... Located below parcel shelf (rear shelf)

Old 10-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by haysmuir
The car had all the wiring in place including the anntena , I just plugged the unit in - 2 multiplugs at the rear ,the anntena , and a link cable which i took to the sat nav then on to the cd multi-changer.
So you installed a NAV head unit and the rear trunk mounted DVD unit with map software. I assume pressing the NAV button does nothing.

You should have more than one antenna. Radio and GPS. The GPS antenna cable is a Gray GT5 Coax like DBX mentioned.

It might help if you explain what you bought and installed. I have a factory NAV option and can at least verify that you have what you need

Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@haysmuir

I hope others on here can get you going, but I hope that you didn't spend a lot on getting the sat nav because it is trully bad.

Have you used the sat nav in this model XJ before ?

I'm worried you're going to spend a lot of time and effort and money to get something that is about 10 years behind a 100USD portable GPS (TomTom, Garmin, etc)

I have the SatNav in my '00 XJR and here is a list of issues, all of which are addressed fully in even the cheapest portable GPS units :

1. The map disks are now at least 6 or 7 years old, and there are no new updates for them, so if you live in an area with any construction, chances are you're going to have errors in the maps
2. It's chronically slow at routing. Mine takes around 30 seconds to do a 10 mile journey (My TomTom takes around 3 seconds)
3. You don't have a good visual display, it only uses the radio display which is A) tiny and B) far too low down in the dash for you to safely look at it. It also only gives arrows, which is nothing like as useful as a 3D map thats standard on all portable GPS units today.
4. I can't get mine to do auto-rerouting (if you get lost or go off route) This may be operator error but there is no mention of this feature in the documentation, and once you go off route, it gets stuck and you have to cancel and restart the route. (TomTom and others reroute instantly)
5. Data entry (street names, etc) is painfully slow as you have to use a scroll wheel action (Kind of like those funky label printers you used to get ages ago when you turned the disc, stamped the letter, then turned to the next letter, etc)

To be fair, the built in system does have the advantage of using the cars audio system, and muting when needed, and also you don't need a screen and mount stuck on your windshield obscuring your view but in terms of usability, I just can't accept the shortcomings.

Maybe other users have had a better experience but I think once you've used a modern quality personal GPS it's difficult to get along with the Jags SatNav

Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM

SARC is right that the NAV in those years is a bit primitive compared to what is available now. But the truth is it works and works fine. Maps are a bit old, but it gets you there. I have never known it to take too long to calculate the route and it gives good direction and easy to understand. I don't like the fact you can't program in a destination while the car is moving. Here in the US we like to multitask while we drive.

Having said that I also agree that I would not go to great lengths to get the factory NAV from 00 - 03 working in my car, but since it came from the factory already installed.. I like it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM

still having problems with sat nav it will update from disk and then do nothing, after checking on the web someone i need x300 navigation set up disk to wake the system can anyone help.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Nav

I retrofitted a nav system in my 01 XJR and I guess that I'm the one that discoverd the need to wakeup the system.
I do have the disk.
I'm kind of surprised that all the wiring for the nav was in your car, on mine i had to instal it.
Which specs ( USA, etc) is your car ?
Luc.
PS: yes the factory system is pretty basic but
do the job
Originally Posted by haysmuir
still having problems with sat nav it will update from disk and then do nothing, after checking on the web someone i need x300 navigation set up disk to wake the system can anyone help.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Despite some of the other posts, this is a good system in my opinion. OK, so there are no 3D colour maps, but I find that spoken instructions are more than adequate to get me where I want to go.
Have you actually fitted a GPS antenna to the car, although all the wiring is in place, it's highly unlikely there is an antenna fitted to the other end of the cable. To check, you'll need to remove the rear parcel shelf as this is where it will be fitted.
Where did you get the unit from? I bought one off ebay earlier in the year from the States as a spare, but it was faulty and had the same symptoms as you describe.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 PM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel
So you installed a NAV head unit and the rear trunk mounted DVD unit with map software. I assume pressing the NAV button does nothing.

You should have more than one antenna. Radio and GPS. The GPS antenna cable is a Gray GT5 Coax like DBX mentioned.

It might help if you explain what you bought and installed. I have a factory NAV option and can at least verify that you have what you need
Hi NorCalDiesel,

Where did you get your navigation system? I have a 98 VDP and would like to upgrade but would prefer stock.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wfd
Hi NorCalDiesel,

Where did you get your navigation system? I have a 98 VDP and would like to upgrade but would prefer stock.

Thanks,
Bill
You can't on a 98, only from 00 up

Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
You can't on a 98, only from 00 up
Ok, thanks. Oh well,.... Garmin it is.