XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 3.2 (X308) unplugged camshaft position sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJ8 3.2 (X308) unplugged camshaft position sensor.

Hello everyone!
I’ve been chasing a small coolant leak at the back of the engine on my ‘98 XJ8, when I discovered that the camshaft position sensor is unplugged!
It starts but very rarely at the first try, I have been reading and was about to begin working checking the voltage and the battery connection. When I saw an unplugged harness a few hours ago!! I immediately connected it and the engine died in the very second, could restart the engine until I unplugged it back and “voila”! It’s a fair assumption that the sensor needs to be changed!
My question is, will the car be drivable with the sensor unplugged or it just won’t? Apparently it can since I’ve being doing so for months! The previous owner was not bey diligent with the car and I’m constantly solving this “surprises” Fortunately, it seems to be accessible and a job that can easily be achievable in an hour or so!
thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2022, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

I can’t really answer your question but, be very careful removing that camshaft position sensor. If I were you, I’d remove the valve (cam) cover and while you rotate the sensor from the topside (to break the o ring free) and gently pry up from the underside. I’ve broken a few of those thinking I could just simply remove the old one and install the new one. Nope, the sensor has been in the same position for 24 years now and it’s been heat cycled hundreds (or more) of times and will be fragile and can come apart. When they do, the metal case stays in the head and the copper windings along with the plastic top come out which means you have to fight that casing out of the head. I hope it comes right out for you but, don’t count on it. Make absolutely sure you have the correct electrical connector before you replace it if you have to.

Do you have any other codes in the ECM? If you’ve been driving it that way for months, might as well continue driving it.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 07-29-2022 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ebrisec (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

Totally agree with the advice above about the removal of the sensor.

Otherwise, you can drive the car without this sensor with no issues. The ECM is programmed to, in the absence of the cam sensor signal, use the crank sensor to calculate the cam positions from there. This is why it takes a few cranks to start the engine - the ECM needs time to "think" and do the switch-over. To be able to start on the first turn of the key, keep the ignition "on" for some 30-40 sec. before you crank.

The following users liked this post:
ebrisec (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I can’t really answer your question but, be very careful removing that camshaft position sensor. If I were you, I’d remove the valve (cam) cover and while you rotate the sensor from the topside (to break the o ring free) and gently pry up from the underside. I’ve broken a few of those thinking I could just simply remove the old one and install the new one. Nope, the sensor has been in the same position for 24 years now and it’s been heat cycled hundreds (or more) of times and will be fragile and can come apart. When they do, the metal case stays in the head and the copper windings along with the plastic top come out which means you have to fight that casing out of the head. I hope it comes right out for you but, don’t count on it. Make absolutely sure you have the correct electrical connector before you replace it if you have to.

Do you have any other codes in the ECM? If you’ve been driving it that way for months, might as well continue driving it.
Thanks! I’d most likely take it to a shop. I live in Bulgaria and parts for Jags are very hard to come by here, and many things are for RHD cars which makes me be extra careful on every step.

I miss the ease with which I could get parts when I lived in Texas!!!

Old 07-30-2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Totally agree with the advice above about the removal of the sensor.

Otherwise, you can drive the car without this sensor with no issues. The ECM is programmed to, in the absence of the cam sensor signal, use the crank sensor to calculate the cam positions from there. This is why it takes a few cranks to start the engine - the ECM needs time to "think" and do the switch-over. To be able to start on the first turn of the key, keep the ignition "on" for some 30-40 sec. before you crank.
Thanks for your input! I will try that! Some cars just won’t start without it! I was wondering what was the fault until I got aware of this issue yesterday!

This car was parked for a few years, it’s generally ok but impossible to be aware of its history!

Old 07-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Received 8,245 Likes on 4,973 Posts

Some info about the AJ26.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-08 P1396reluctor repair.pdf (110.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf
303-39am Long Cranking.pdf (35.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 364 Posts

Nice info motorcarman. It is true that the “gremlins” will find much to do with a stationary Jaguar. Keeping these cars covered and out of the sun, as well as cool and dry is the preferred environment for increased longevity.