XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 4.0 (1999) Intermittant starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 4.0 (1999) Intermittant starting problem

This problem occurs when starting engine from cold:

Turn key to crank engine without touching accelerator. Engine starts and runs for about 2 seconds and then stops. If cranked again to try and start it has the symptoms of trying to start 'an old style car' with a manual choke pulled fully out if the engine is hot, and it smells rich.

I have discovered the problem can be overcome in 2 ways:

1) By not trying again to start it again after it stops. Instead remove the fuel pump fuse then crank the engine. It starts and runs normally for a few seconds until the fuel in the system runs out. Then replace the fuse and it starts and runs normally on each start up.
2) Turn key to crank the engine and press the accelerator immediately as the engine starts and hold at approx 2000 rpm. The revs drop off by approx 500 rpm, again after about 2 seconds, and then recover to 2000 rpm. Gradually reduce revs to tick over and then again runs normally on each start up.

Changed the throttle body, MAF, temperature sender, crank sensor and serviced injectors.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure? Fuel pump issue?
Starting the car with the gas pedal fully depressed shuts the fuel off, no need to pull a relay.

Last edited by Sean B; 04-17-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply. No I haven't as yet. I just thought I would post the problem first to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I was going to check the fuel pressure next as you suggest and compare the 3 readings i.e.With ignition on only, cranking the engine, and engine running. As well as the fuel pump there is also a pressure regulator in the fuel line on top of the engine, which will be easier to change than the fuel pump. After that I can't think that there's really anything left, except the ECU.