XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 99 Aftermarket Radio Wiring Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 99 Aftermarket Radio Wiring Inquiry

I have a 99 Jaguar XJ8 that is turning into a commuter car, and thus needs an improved stereo to keep me happy.

I followed the information in other posts about the fascia problems for this vehicle and I have happily created my own CDX fascia plate. It has yet to be covered in fabric...but...while we wait, I'm moving on to the wiring.

And, here's where I have questions. I have located a site with a wiring diagram that does not correspond to the wires coming out of my loom at all. This leads me to believe that I have an amp. If it is behind the glove box...I haven't found a site to tell me how to get to it...so this is a problem.

I have also found the PC2-55-4 harness information, but, those specifically say that they are not applicable to units with amplified speaker systems.

I know anything with a wire can be solved...but, the key is that I've reached an uncomfortable place. I haven't yet purchased the new aftermarket stereo, but, unless I can reach a comfort zone with how to hook up the 20 pin loom in my dash without frying anything, I'm stymied.

Any of you that have replaced stereos in your XJ8...can you advise what I need behind the new faceplate in terms of wiring?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Default XJ8 99 Aftermarket Radio Wiring Inquiry

After I found this....

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

I may be able to answer most of my own questions. I don't think I have a premium system as I don't have the CD changer and I don't have Harmin Kardin written on my speakers. I was put off by text somewhere that indicated I may have an amp behind the glove box (even without the CD changer).

So..if I focus on page 81 of that document. I believe that all I care about are the speaker connections, the power to the antenna, possibly the power to the instrument pack (so I can have the automatic volume adjust when I hit certain speeds), and the Power and Ground Connections, which I beleive are noted as square 20 and circle 21 in the upper center of the diagram coming off cables 10-10 and 10-11.

If I'm on the right path, perhaps a nod of agreement or a "Hold on there" from anyone that has done it before?

More importantly...if I've identified the power and ground correctly...which one is which? I'd really hate to get that wrong on any new connection. Does the NG color wire go to the power in the new stereo or the ground?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Sorry about the spelling...Harmon Kardon

Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a copy of the JTIS page for the standard audio system in your car. It shows a 20 pin connector ("IC10").

The premium audio system shows only 12 pins on IC10; it has another connector ("IC34") with 6 pins plus shield that runs to the trunk-mounted amplifier.

So it looks like you have the standard audio system if you have a 20 pin connector.

If you wanted to try a quick and dirty experiment, you might try connecting a flashlight battery (like an AA cell) across the speaker wires. For example, briefly touch the positive end to pin 18 and the negative end to pin 17 of IC10; you should hear a faint scratching sound in the tweeter and mid-bass speakers on the front right door. Do this with the connector unplugged from the head unit, of course.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jxj1999_audio.pdf (180.4 KB, 804 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c1916
More importantly...if I've identified the power and ground correctly...which one is which? I'd really hate to get that wrong on any new connection. Does the NG color wire go to the power in the new stereo or the ground?
Square 20 is the +12 line. It comes off of the #9 fuse in the LH Heelboard fuse box. Circle 21 is ground.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Excellent. Thanks very much.

I had it working. All speakers and antenna power worked as expected in loose connection mode.

Then I went to tighten down the fascia and the trim and whatnot...and now I've got problems.

Car won't start...flashing all sorts of error messages. I may have drained the battery some, so I'll drip charge it overnight.

Worst thing, though, is that I can no longer shift out of park to remove the new stereo to see if I tripped something up behind it when I did the final installation. I know I saw a thread here about can't get out of park...so I'll do some research, but I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight if I royally screwed things up somehow.