XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Aerial Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 Aerial Help

Hi All.
Looking for some help please if possible.
I have just bought a immaculate 1998 XJ8 4ltr Sovereign and I love it.
After reading the Manual it says that the ariel should go up and down with the radio on-off button.
My ariel motor operates on the ignition on-off, IS THIS CORRECT?.
At present my ariel is stuck on the fully up position and does not go down.
I bought another ariel with the plastic notched cable and was going to install it but I am now just wondering if its a stereo issue as the stereo On- Off is not operating the motor.

Has anyone had this issue before?.
Many thanks Scott.

Last edited by GGG; 04-15-2016 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 12-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a very similar problem when I bought my XKR and the aerial wasn't working. The previous owner was convinced it was the motor which is the whole unit and so sold the car as is.

The aerial is supposed to operate when the stereo is switched and goes down when the stereo is off.

People told me the problem would just be the mast either bent or problem with the plastic wire inside the mast that pulls and pushes the aerial.

By pure chance I twisted the mast from side to side and it all working again.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards

Rocky

Old 12-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Default Ariel

Hi Rocky thank you fir your info.
Rocky do you remember the actual radio on-off operating the motor.
I only hear the motor for the ariel operating with ignition on-off .
I have bought another mast, but will turn the existing tomorrow to see if it works.
Thanks Scott
Originally Posted by Rocky15
I had a very similar problem when I bought my XKR and the aerial wasn't working. The previous owner was convinced it was the motor which is the whole unit and so sold the car as is.

The aerial is supposed to operate when the stereo is switched and goes down when the stereo is off.

People told me the problem would just be the mast either bent or problem with the plastic wire inside the mast that pulls and pushes the aerial.

By pure chance I twisted the mast from side to side and it all working again.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards

Rocky

Old 12-06-2015, 02:38 PM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotsaltire
Hi All.
Looking for some help please if possible ........
Welcome to the forum Scott,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

The aerial should raise/lower with the On/Off button.

Graham

Old 12-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Default Many thanks

Thank you Graham.

I will check again tomorrow regarding the Radio.

Hopefully the new mast and plastic geared strip will resolve this.
I may be back soon if this doesnt work, i appreciate your help with the info and correct area to list onsite.
Scott
Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Scott,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

The aerial should raise/lower with the On/Off button.

Graham

Old 12-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Mine certainly goes up and down with the radio on/off, as well as actual ignition (which basically is turning the radio off). It leads me to think that the output signal from the radio to the antenna motor isn't working properly, though I'm not sure the wiring on it. Doesn't sound like the antenna itself is the issue though.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Old 12-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Mine died in down position & thankfully my aftermarket head unit is crystal clear without it, I deemed it an eyesore anyway.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Default Radio issue

Ok thank you for your help.
QUOTE=CharlzO;1360232]Mine certainly goes up and down with the radio on/off, as well as actual ignition (which basically is turning the radio off). It leads me to think that the output signal from the radio to the antenna motor isn't working properly, though I'm not sure the wiring on it. Doesn't sound like the antenna itself is the issue though.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-07-2015, 04:09 AM

Hope you sort it.

I must have been lucky just giving mine a twist, and got away with what I initially thought could be a big expense looking at the worse case

Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 AM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

My 2000XJ8 just had the antenna refuse to go back down.
Has always worked properly for 16 years, up when turned on either CD player or radio & went down when turned off or shut off car.

I was picking up my car from an auto upholstery place that recovered the cracked vinyl armrest (They removed & replaced driver door panel to do this) & my antenna was up! Would not go down. The shop owner was nice & said he turned on radio to verify the door speaker still worked after reassembly & antenna would not go down. I was distressed & thought but, did not say, that they had somehow caused this problem by messing with the wiring. I’m not a big believer in coincidence. He said to take it to my mechanic (Jaguar dealer) & if the mechanic thinks they could have caused the antenna problem by removing door panel he would make it right or words to that effect. (I.E a “Soft” promise to pay for repairs IF he was at fault)

Note: had this happened b4 I took it in, I would have simply thought the car broke & gone here to JF to research & found this thread & moved the trunk liner away & discovered the issue & ordered part from aftermarket or from Jaguar & fixed it myself.

Jag SA said motor good but cable broken so repaired/replaced $151.14.
Invoice says “Replaced broken Antenna mast” LNA4134AA
$65.50 part
$80 Labor
T= $145.50 + tax

So, it now works once again. Although it makes noise as goes back in.
Jag SA says he cannot see any way the upholstery shop caused this since it is mechanical, I agreed. So, it must have been a coincidence.

I just now looked up the part & Gaudin Jaguar sells online for $53.21 + high S&H
Amazon: Uro parts $16.41
Amazon.com: URO Parts LNA4134AA Antenna Mast: Automotive Amazon.com: URO Parts LNA4134AA Antenna Mast: Automotive

I would have purchased from Amazon & saved ~$130 & DIY

Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 AM

It’s unfortunate you thought that it wasn’tcoincidental and had your aerial broke before you took the car to te upholsteryplace I’m sure you would have gone down the cheap route.

I understand that the aerial masts not sole byJaguar are just third part. Some sellers claim they are made by the same aerialmanufacturer but I’m sure there’s lots of cheap poor quality ones out there. Soat least you have piece of mind it’s a Jaguar part.

My aerial makes a noise when it goes back in,clunking etc but it’s worn out and sometimes doesn’t go all the way back unlessI twist it a little bit. I wouldn’t expect a new one to make a now.

Depends how fussy you are

Regards

Rocky15

Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I eliminated my aerial not because it was broken, but so I wouldn't forget going through a car wash and I thought it made the car look outdated. So a few years ago I did this....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ve-one-103359/
...be sure to prompt the pics to see the unit because it blends so well with the window its difficult to see. I almost solely listen to SIRIUS anyways, but if I want to hear a local station, I have it.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

After you get it fixed, you may want to install a switch to keep it in the down position when you are not using the radio, simple to do and keeps the unsightly "alien beacon" antenna out of sight when not needed.

A search should turn up the relevant threads on the mod.
Alden

Old 04-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Rocky15, Yeah, I’m picky. I will make Jaguar fix the new noisy antenna in a couple weeks when I have time to bring it back to them.

Vector, I had seen the thread about the switch when searching for antenna issues. Great idea. My antenna never bothered me.
Rarely listen to radio, just CD player so antenna going up & down is not necessary. If I knew about this switch soon after I purchased the car in 2000, I would certainly have done the mod! Just to preserve the antenna from eventual failure & wear & tear on the motor & cable from retracting daily. Now my Jag is not my daily driver. I bought a new car last year.

Highhorse, I never used an automatic car wash for my Jag. Always have washed it by hand. When I did use the radio, it was to listen to AM talk radio so the worse reception on those hidden antennas would not have worked for me. Have the multi CD changer option so, 6 CDs at a time for music for me. I know this is dated now

Great job on your installation & photos in that other thread, BTW.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 AM

I was told once although I don't know much about them, is that a Jag is like a washing machine. If you don't use it the parts go faulty from no use. At least if you do use one regularly and they break at least you've had some use out of it.

Took the Jag out at the weekend, my windows are half a sleep working very slow and the aerial couldn't get it's end up.