XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Daily Driver Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 11:06 PM
Received 202 Likes on 141 Posts

Finally drove an x350 yesterday. What an absolutely fantastic car, fell in love with it immediately. For daily duty it seems a much better choice than the x308. I had a good basis for comparison as I got out of my 308, drove the 350, and then got right back into my car and drove home The 308 still looks better and has a bit more presence to it, but for every day use I think I prefer the newer model. It actually felt very quick which I wasn't expecting. Doesn't pull in the mid range like my XJR, but it goes pretty good. I think the 308 handles a bit better at the limit but the 350 is a nicer driving car and much more composed during normal driving.

Unfortunately this particular car was not for me. On paper it looked promising; original owner, mechanically excellent, nice color combo (silver over black), but the body had a few issues that I don't think I could live with on a car this beautiful. Of course they could be fixed, but with the body being aluminum probably not worth the cost. There was one on the front wheel arch which would probably come out with paintless dent, but ont he top of the quarter panel there was a good sized dent that cracked the paint. If it was all dent removal I'd be OK with it, but don't want to get into paintwork.

So the search continues for an x350...there are not too many for sale locally and prices are all over the place. Most that are currently for sale have been sitting for a while so there's probably a good deal to be had somewhere, just need some patience. There is one that I'm eyeing up but I can't seem to get around the color - Zircon Blue. Its a 2006 XJ8L with very low miles (under 50k) with black leather (which I prefer), but for some reason I really don't like that color on a Jag. I've been looking at images of x350s in that color on Google all night trying to convince myself, but for some reason I just don't like it.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:11 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

The x350 is, as you have discovered, a really well mannered bit of machinery. My observations after having had one, lost it to a falling tree, and reverting back to the x308 are exactly the same. The 308 looks better. The 350 rides better, I suspect even with regular shocks on it. Keep looking. You’ll find one that suits. The basic engine is pretty strong and, with the lighter weight, an R model may fall into the “nice to have but not absolutely necessary” department. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by eliotb
The x350 is, as you have discovered, a really well mannered bit of machinery. My observations after having had one, lost it to a falling tree, and reverting back to the x308 are exactly the same. The 308 looks better. The 350 rides better, I suspect even with regular shocks on it. Keep looking. You’ll find one that suits. The basic engine is pretty strong and, with the lighter weight, an R model may fall into the “nice to have but not absolutely necessary” department. Good luck.
Glad you agree. I was a actually a bit surprised when I drove it, wasn't expecting it to be that good or that much better mannered than the 308 but its really fantastic. It will be a great balance having the 350 for daily driving and the 308 for weekend fun. The 308 still has more a sense of occasion about it which is nice.

I would go for an x350 XJR if it was priced well. After driving the NA 4.2L its definitley not necessary but wouldn't turn one down. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the power in the car. I think they must be geared very well with the 6-speed, it takes off very quickly and pulls nice through 50-60 mph which is really all you need for a driver.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 347 Posts

The X350 has it's place. That place would not be in my garage. The X308 LWB is a beautiful
well engineered vehicle. The classic lines are timeless and an X350 just does not measure up
to the intimate luxury and feeling that I personally attain from The Duchess. There are many
different Jaguar enthusiasts with many different perspectives so I am certain that the X350 may
be a nice fit for some.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
The X350 has it's place. That place would not be in my garage. The X308 LWB is a beautiful
well engineered vehicle. The classic lines are timeless and an X350 just does not measure up
to the intimate luxury and feeling that I personally attain from The Duchess. There are many
different Jaguar enthusiasts with many different perspectives so I am certain that the X350 may
be a nice fit for some.
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the x350? Have you had one? Always interesting to hear comparisons from people who have owned both.

I went and looked at another today, a 2004 in Jaguar Racing Green Metallic. Color was gorgeous and it was in OK shape, but high miles and a few issues (comestic) I don't want to deal with.

On a brighter note, I had the owner of the 2006 XJ8L send a picture of the door tag and its actually MEE Liquid Silver Metallic! Guess the lighting was just a bit off in the photos. Going to look at that one tomorrow. One owner car with 45k miles, can't see why I wouldnt buy it. Not too excited about the long wheelbase but its not a deal breaker.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 347 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind is probably in the eye of the beholder. The x308 is proportioned in a
beautiful shape and a profile that is pleasing to the eye. Its general physical appearance speaks to
refinement, quality and grace. The X350 visual seems out of proportion by comparison. and not nearly
as sleek and fluid. Driving the X350 does not yield the same level of comfort, although I do believe
the handling in the x350 is slightly superior. The X350 employs much more modern components and
being lighter weight, provides better economy, however I like the way the X308 is designed and am
very comfortable knowing how to maintain\repair most of the components. Sliding into the drivers'
seat of The Duchess is like putting on sheepskin gloves on a cold day and I do not get that feeling
behind the wheel of a X350.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My XJ8 experience

Originally Posted by 87LC2
I've already read through some older threads on this, just curious for opinions from anyone who daily drives an x308 XJ8 currently. Last week my daily driver (2004 Impala SS) was rear-ended and I'm sure once the process is over it will be totaled and paid out by the other driver's insurance company. Pretty upset about this, my father bought it brand new and I've been driving it for tha past 5-6 years and it currently has 287,500 miles on it. Was in fantastic cosmetic and mechanical condition, but there's more damage than its worth.

I drive about 20-25k miles annually and don't want or need to spend a lot of money on a commuter. I've been driving GM cars with the Buick Supercharged V6 for as long as I can remember, but they're getting hard to find in decent shape. In my search I've come across quite a few XJ8s in good condition for little money. Would an XJ8 be a wise choice for a driver? I know the XJ8 transmission is not as robust as the 5-speed in the XJR, but more concerned about general reliability. Also aware of timing issues, can sort that on my own if its an early car.

For anyone that drives one of these daily how has it been? Do they do well when putting a lot of miles on them? I have other cars so minimal downtime would be OK, but I'm used to the rock solid reliablity of my early 2000s GM stuff and would prefer similar. I definitely don't want a car that I'd be worried about jumping in and just going anywhere.

It's probalby not the wisest decision, but for what they go for and me doing any necessary work myself I have almost convinced myself that it wont be that bad. Any opinions welcomed and appreciated.
I bought my '98 XJ8 as a fixer, not running, but otherwise in beautiful condition. It had 150k clicks on it, and had timing chain tensioner failure...a common problem. I bought the tools and did the job in my garage over the winter. It runs just fine now, but pay attention to the maze of coolant hoses throughout. I changed all of mine.
Imhave a couple issues now (cd player, and wheel speed sensor) that light up my dash like a Christmas tree! But it rides great and gets great looks. BTW...if over 100k clicks, replace the front timing chain tensioners b4 they fail and ruin your engine.

87LC2 (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 07:57 PM

Purchased an x350 today! It's an absolutely gorgeous example. 1 owner XJ8L, 41k miles, Liquid Silver Metallic over Black Leather and the car is absolutely immaculate. I can't believe the condition of this car, not a scratch or ding on it anywhere and it drives wonderfully. So surprised at these cars and overlooked them for so long. It feels a lot lighter than it looks and power is decent for a small V8.

Will pick it up later in the week and post some better pictures.

markdpeter (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 06:13 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Gorgeous. I suspect you're going to be very pleased with it.

I look on CarGurus every day for XJ8s from '98 to '09 within 200 miles of my place outside DC and don't think I saw this one. Private sale perhaps? Quite a find.

As for the power/weight ratio in the normally aspirated engine, I can assure you that it is fully capable of launching a drink from the front cup holders well into the back seat with a foot deep into the throttle. I have since come to share the belief it should be called the "drink ejection mechanism." Same thing holds true for the back drink cutouts in the rear arm rest, presuming they are present in the 8L.

Cheers.

Last edited by eliotb; 09-12-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by eliotb
Gorgeous. I suspect you're going to be very pleased with it.

I look on CarGurus every day for XJ8s from '98 to '09 within 200 miles of my place outside DC and don't think I saw this one. Private sale perhaps? Quite a find.

Cheers.
Thanks Eliot, it really was a good find. It was adverstised on Facebook with 2 poor photos and no information. I think I overlooked it myself a few times. I took a chance and went to see it, very glad I did. I offered quite a bit less than they were asking and they accepted. Looking forward to bringing it home.