XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 exchange for a XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 340 Likes on 190 Posts
Default XJ8 exchange for a XJR

Hello.
I own a 2001 XJ8, with new engine and rebuilt gearbox, rebuilt suspension and nice loooking body w/o a rust. The only problem is a condition of the seats and steering wheel.
Now a have an option to sell it and get a 1998 XJR, on a stock 17" rims, awesome interior, but the body isn't that good as mine. It have a rust spots on an A pillar, and rights fenders. Nothing to worry about right now, but it must be fixed ASAP. Runs and shifts fine. Suspension will ask for a rebuld soon
Is the exchange worth it?
Nikasil is not an issue for me.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Bodywork is cheaper and easier than interior work.

And it's the SC version.

But, you'll have to attend to the tensioners again. Also, many systems changed in 1999. Such as the throttle body. And of course, the suspension is 3 years older.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

The rust on the fender is not a big issue, in the worst case scenario you'll replace the panel. You used RIGHT FENDERS as in more than one. are you talking about the quarter panel as well? The A-pillar is a bit of a different story depending on where the rust is. If its up high around windshield, then have to remove the glass. If its closer to the cowl/belt line section then it may require dash removal. If its around hinges, then the door and/or dash will have to removed. Down at the very bottom, it could also involve rocker panel repair. If you'll need parts, availability is a not a problem but very $$$.

With your expertise in jags, rebuilding suspension should be a non-issue but still a major kick in the wallet.

98 was the first year for the V8, at least in the states. How is the transmission on this MY?

In reality, not sure what real advantage the XJR will give you in Moscow traffic. Of course, summer time in Moscow tends to clear streets of traffic, especially on the weekends. A blast down Kutuzovskyi or Lenninskyi would be worth the upgrade. But you only have 2 1/2 months to enjoy that. Unless you plan to do some midnight street racing

Last edited by Tirefriar; 05-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I have both- you will enjoy the performance of the R guaranteed.

If you can get the owner to put in a little cash to sweeten the deal (given that yours has a "new" engine and trans) it would seal the deal for me.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Bodywork is cheaper and easier than interior work.

And it's the SC version.

But, you'll have to attend to the tensioners again. Also, many systems changed in 1999. Such as the throttle body. And of course, the suspension is 3 years older.
Yeah, i understand.
On monday i'll lift the XJR up to see if the subframes and underbody are rusted. If they're not - then nothing to worry about.
Tensioners is not an issue - still have a lot of them, so it's only a question of little time and few $ for a gaskets.

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
The rust on the fender is not a big issue, in the worst case scenario you'll replace the panel. You used RIGHT FENDERS as in more than one. are you talking about the quarter panel as well? The A-pillar is a bit of a different story depending on where the rust is. If its up high around windshield, then have to remove the glass. If its closer to the cowl/belt line section then it may require dash removal. If its around hinges, then the door and/or dash will have to removed. Down at the very bottom, it could also involve rocker panel repair. If you'll need parts, availability is a not a problem but very $$$.

With your expertise in jags, rebuilding suspension should be a non-issue but still a major kick in the wallet.

98 was the first year for the V8, at least in the states. How is the transmission on this MY?

In reality, not sure what real advantage the XJR will give you in Moscow traffic. Of course, summer time in Moscow tends to clear streets of traffic, especially on the weekends. A blast down Kutuzovskyi or Lenninskyi would be worth the upgrade. But you only have 2 1/2 months to enjoy that. Unless you plan to do some midnight street racing
Quarter panels seems to be in pretty good condition.
A-pillar makes me worry too. The rusty point (actually there's no rust visible, but the bulges on the paint tells me that there ARE rust) is near the cowl on a passenger's side, it's quite common rusty place on our cars.
Suspension is not so expensive, but the price of the CATS shocks is shocking me On mine XJ8 i've spent 1.500-1.700$ on a suspension (parts and labor, did by an official dealer), but the springs and shocks were left intact.
Since it's an R - it have a famous MB 722.6 tranny, so no worries here )
Well. At morning, when i'm going to work, i usually drive no less than 140km/h.

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
I have both- you will enjoy the performance of the R guaranteed.

If you can get the owner to put in a little cash to sweeten the deal (given that yours has a "new" engine and trans) it would seal the deal for me.
Yeah, i feel that an XJ8 is kind of underpowered. And the R is a way better since there's a lot of mods to get MORE power

Not "new", but NEW Indeed, everything was new, from an engine block to a very last gasket.
The tranny is almost new too - all internal parts, except an output shaft, are NEW
But i dunno if i can seal the deal that way

Oh, i've forgot to mention that both of the cars are british racing green Mine now have 87k. miles on odo and XJR have 150k. kilometers on ODO(anyway, the numbers are absolutely compatible). If someone is intrested the seller's pics of XJR are here - http://cars.auto.ru/cars/used/sale/44619028-0c189.html

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 05-10-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM

You can replace CATS with regular shocks. I would consider that given the condition of roads and amount of salt during winter.

To make proper repairs around the cowl area you may have to pull the dash. Otherwise you run the risk of cosmetic and internal damages from heat.

Tried to open the link but its telling me that the "address" is incorrect...

Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM

I've uploaded a pics to mine site. Here they are: XJR - x308

Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I LOVE that dark wood- I switched mine out to dark as well with wood I had from a 98 partout.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
I LOVE that dark wood- I switched mine out to dark as well with wood I had from a 98 partout.
Yeah, i love it too And i just love black&white interior...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM

If you like light interior then I see nothing else that would hold you back from getting this car. What's up with the 'old' 77 plates? The region number section is in yellow (?) - are those commercial? I like the 999 plates better))

Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 AM

If you like light interior then I see nothing else that would hold you back from getting this car. What's up with the 'old' 77 plates? The region number section is in yellow (?) - are those commercial? I like the 999 plates better))
Yellow region section means temporary numbers ("transit").
The last thing holding is that the owner had decided now that i must pay him a 2000$ to seal the deal and i don't want to. Will see

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
Yellow region section means temporary numbers ("transit").
The last thing holding is that the owner had decided now that i must pay him a 2000$ to seal the deal and i don't want to. Will see
Things do change over time. I remembered that transit plates were red starting with a T. I think the seller sensed the level of your interest in the car. Just out of curiosity what's the asking price? I have a feeling that jaguar market in Russia is reflective of that in US, i.e. very limited and prices are surpressed Stay strong!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 AM

Things do change over time. I remembered that transit plates were red starting with a T. I think the seller sensed the level of your interest in the car. Just out of curiosity what's the asking price? I have a feeling that jaguar market in Russia is reflective of that in US, i.e. very limited and prices are surpressed Stay strong!
Yeah, they do
He's asking 13500$ for it.
Mine may cost up to 15000$, acorrding to a market
If you'll need an ambulance after seeing such a prices - just whistle

Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Yeah, they do
He's asking 13500$ for it.
Mine may cost up to 15000$, acorrding to a market
If you'll need an ambulance after seeing such a prices - just whistle
That's about twice of what they go for here. And here (california) they not subjected to the harsh weather conditions or limited professional service.

What's the point of whistling for an ambulance? By the time it gets through all that Moscow traffic it wouldn't be necessary. I already picked my self off the floor, thank you. ))

Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM

That's about twice of what they go for here. And here (california) they not subjected to the harsh weather conditions or limited professional service.

What's the point of whistling for an ambulance? By the time it gets through all that Moscow traffic it wouldn't be necessary. I already picked my self off the floor, thank you. ))
In Russia even old luxury car is a luxury And i'm jealous about the prices in the States...
There's no traffic today - half of a population still hadn't returned from long holidays
BTW, i've inspected the vehicle today and did a test-drive.
Plastic tensioners
Jerky shifts
Gearshift cable needs to be replaced (it's very hard to change gears)
Moonroof need inspection and maintaince
Brakes are screaming to be replaced...
And, the final shot, according to DDW this car must have 18" PENTA rims, but it is on a 16" with a winter tyres %)

I'm confused. I want this car, but only with a huge discount. I still can save it, or soon enough it will became junk

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 05-13-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Moscow, or L.A. this is not a trade I would do. It doesn't make sense. Going from the car with no issues (that you know inside and out), to the one with issues (that you know about, and who knows what else!), is a dicey proposition.

And why? To have the "R"? No go for me. Keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Issues is not a problem for me (when i've bought mine XJ8 it has a blown engine (blewed out a rod), tranny was going out and suspension was shot. Now, except paint job and not-so-flawless interior it's one of the best X308 over here)... But the price must be reasonable...
Why? I LOVE "R" since i was working in Jag Land Rover... The sound, perfomance, interior - they are awesome...
308 XJRs are a rare beast over here(that's why i'm still thinking about this deal), i don't like an X100 XKR (it's hard to use it as an all-season daily driver), i don't want to buy a X350 XJR (it's not so classic looking, it have an air suspension and so on)

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 05-13-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM

Issues is not a problem for me (when i've bought mine XJ8 it has a blown engine (blewed out a rod), tranny was going out and suspension was shot. Now, except paint job and not-so-flawless interior it's one of the best X308 over here)... But the price must be reasonable...
Why? I LOVE "R" since i was working in Jag Land Rover... The sound, perfomance, interior - they are awesome...
308 XJRs are a rare beast over here(that's why i'm still thinking about this deal), i don't like an X100 XKR (it's hard to use it as an all-season daily driver), i don't want to buy a X350 XJR (it's not so classic looking, it have an air suspension and so on)
Rare but not non-existent. The R you are looking at will require quite a bit of work and will be down for most of the summer. What other time would you pick to do bodywork? Frankly, you are getting into another tough project without real return on investment.

With this deal you will lose on both ends - the R seller will want to minimize the value of your car and maximize the value of his. That's one main reason why I'm not a big fan of bartering.

I know the old mentality, if I don't buy (insert uncommon item here) now, it will be gone tomorrow... Believe it or not I have the same approach to Alfas. I'm very spontaneous, shoot first ask questions later when it comes to AR. But guess what, there IS something just as good or even better around the next bend.

Were I to be in your shoes, I would get the top $$ for my car. Then I would look around and squeeze the seller of the next good R that you see. But that's just my personal take on things.

Did I already say that I love Moscow in the summer, and not just because of the short skirts )))

Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 AM

Rare but not non-existent. The R you are looking at will require quite a bit of work and will be down for most of the summer. What other time would you pick to do bodywork? Frankly, you are getting into another tough project without real return on investment.

With this deal you will lose on both ends - the R seller will want to minimize the value of your car and maximize the value of his. That's one main reason why I'm not a big fan of bartering.

I know the old mentality, if I don't buy (insert uncommon item here) now, it will be gone tomorrow... Believe it or not I have the same approach to Alfas. I'm very spontaneous, shoot first ask questions later when it comes to AR. But guess what, there IS something just as good or even better around the next bend.

Were I to be in your shoes, I would get the top $$ for my car. Then I would look around and squeeze the seller of the next good R that you see. But that's just my personal take on things.

Did I already say that I love Moscow in the summer, and not just because of the short skirts )))
Oh, yeah. There's another one selling right now, 1999 with 37000km on odo, but the seller is asking 30k $. And there's a lot of work even with this low-milage car (rubber and plastic parts doesn't became better with time ). And, really, even with mine love for Jaguars, i'm not sure that i want to pay 30000$ for a 14 years old XJR.

Anyway, the XJR owner solid as a rock that i must pay him. Now way. Just sorrow that the good car will come to the end of it's days soon

Short skirts? They are EVERYWHERE

Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Up
Today the owner of an XJR called me and told that he's ready to sell it for a quite low price.
The reason is transmission failure. As he describes (i didn't see the car yet), gearbox failure is lit and when you move the selector from park to drive it takes a several attempts to "load" a gearbox and to start moving.
Any suggestions for a reason of failure?

Quick Reply: XJ8 exchange for a XJR