XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille

Hello, I'm about to order the new, full mesh grille, from Mina Gallery, looks awesome in their pics.
Has anyone added this, would love to see pictures, can the outer frame be chromed?

Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

The XJR came factory with the mesh and a chrome frame bezel, so I would do a yard search for that. Check with Coventry or a local yard or a yard on the net like (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market). They have links to yards all over that will contact you if they have one.

Here's my 2000 Vanden Plas grille, but has a blade in the lower section vs the mesh.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
The XJR came factory with the mesh and a chrome frame bezel, so I would do a yard search for that. Check with Coventry or a local yard or a yard on the net like (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market). They have links to yards all over that will contact you if they have one.

Here's my 2000 Vanden Plas grille, but has a blade in the lower section vs the mesh.
I am going to have to correct you here. The XJR came with mesh grille and PAINTED frame. The XJ8 came with a slatted grille and CHROME frame. The slats and mesh are interchangeable. The mesh grille will fit the chrome frame just fine, as the chrome frame has the two "brackets" where you screw the mesh grille into.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Its probable xjrjag, but mine is factory, albeit a Vanden Plas, it is the SC version.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Its probable xjrjag, but mine is factory, albeit a Vanden Plas, it is the SC version.
VDP came with the chrome ribbed frame, as shown in your picture. XJ8 came with a chrome non-ribbed frame. And XJR came with a painted frame.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (05-28-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

The s/c version is denoted by the "mesh" grill and while it "normal" for the XJR to have the painted surround it is by no means the "requirement" I've seen a few XJR 6's with the chrome surround and that's the way the owners purchased them new. One thing I've learned through Jaguar ownership is there doesn't seem to be any one standard. Heck up to just now I didn't know the Vanden Plas could be had in the S/C version!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Heck up to just now I didn't know the Vanden Plas could be had in the S/C version!
I found out when I first got her years ago, that the S/C version was a special order for 2000 only (barring my dealers knowledge). Other than that, 99 & 01 it was an option.

JTsmks (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

That car with a stage II kit would be the ultimate sleeper!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Full Mesh Grille

Here'S a picture to put you-in-the-picture

Now you see! Obviously, no one has.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
That car with a stage II kit would be the ultimate sleeper!
I've actually contacted Ken Belle regarding snout sizes and such. They basically said they don't touch Jags. I also tried Metco Motorsports, they have a lot of Mustang and Lightening performance S/C parts. But again, they sent me a long letter, when they could of just said, we don't touch Jags. I'm just not going to pay $7k for Eurotoys version.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Sharp.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dstjohn

That's an '04 X350 isn't it?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's mine. 2000 XJR with an ebay lower grill special. I had to Dremel out a couple of holes and use the original bar's screws to attach it because the ones they sent were useless.

Lyndon
Down Here.

Porsche407 (06-06-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dstjohn

Ok, in terms of upgrading a Jaguar mesh grille, and regardless as to whether it comes with a center divider or not, has anybody considered trying the mesh material that Jaguar introduced years after the X308 cars production? I'm referring to the less dense mesh with thicker, stronger mesh metal that also shines like chrome. With that single piece grille shown, they've gone to an even finer mesh, like if going backwards, as most modern cars feature the thicker grille version. Compare that single piece/no divider mesh grille with the 2008 XJR pic attached below; quite different.

Then, just to further describe where I'm coming from, look at the red XJS pic below, it has the Mina Gallery mesh grille on it and then look at the green XJS mesh grille and compare both. The latter is the custom grille that I fabricated and installed on my BRG kitty after visiting Mina Galleries and looking at their version. I actually bought the material for my car from Mina, which I understand they use on after market Range Rover mesh grilles. I believe that my version grille makes much more sense to the whole car presentation.

This is why I wonder if anybody has actually tried this mesh on an X308 car. I'd sure like to try the thicker mesh on my XJR one of these days.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille-single-piece-no-divider.jpg   XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille-2008-xjr-grille.jpg   XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille-mina-grille-set-xjs-reduced.jpg   XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille-cimg2174-reduced.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
XF.bmp (900.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Ok, in terms of upgrading a Jaguar mesh grille, and regardless as to whether it comes with a center divider or not, has anybody considered trying the mesh material that Jaguar introduced years after the X308 cars production?
I am with you on this one, and still keep this picture from the net for one of the days I have nothing to do.. .
If ever I will change my grill inserts, it will be something according this.

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille-8968675763_46a36ef024_o.jpg  
Forcedair1 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1 View Post
Ok, in terms of upgrading a Jaguar mesh grille, and regardless as to whether it comes with a center divider or not, has anybody considered trying the mesh material that Jaguar introduced years after the X308 cars production?
Originally Posted by ericjansen
I am with you on this one, and still keep this picture from the net for one of the days I have nothing to do.. .

I can see the appeal of a mesh with a looser/larger weave as pictured above. But most of the later Jaguar grilles, as well as those by other manufacturers, are no longer true woven stainless steel (or metal at all) and instead are plastic faux woven metal which is obviously cheap plastic even from a distance.

I've noted several times when visiting the dealership with friends and family how the chrome plated plastic really jumps out Normally that wouldn't be a huge issue, but on a car approaching $100k the grille shouldn't look cheap.

Of course most mainstream automotive grilles have been plastic since the 1960s, but premium cars like the Jaguar often featured real metal grill components.

The newer cars would visually benefit from metal grille inserts like the X300/X308.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
are plastic faux woven metal which is obviously cheap plastic even from a distance
Off course I am only talking about he highest quality real stainless steel , as the guy from the picture I showed used.
His thread is somewhere on this forum, longgg time ago.
By the way, the Jaguar slated chrome inserts are also plastic, just a good quality version.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Oh, yes! I like that grille on an X308. Funny that, as much as I like that type of mesh, I had never seen this pic before. Would you be inclined to do something to the bottom grille, as well, in the manner that I did my XJS bottom grille?

Cheers,

Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
I can see the appeal of a mesh with a looser/larger weave as pictured above. But most of the later Jaguar grilles, as well as those by other manufacturers, are no longer true woven stainless steel (or metal at all) and instead are plastic faux woven metal which is obviously cheap plastic even from a distance.

I've noted several times when visiting the dealership with friends and family how the chrome plated plastic really jumps out Normally that wouldn't be a huge issue, but on a car approaching $100k the grille shouldn't look cheap.

Of course most mainstream automotive grilles have been plastic since the 1960s, but premium cars like the Jaguar often featured real metal grill components.

The newer cars would visually benefit from metal grille inserts like the X300/X308.

You're correct, but I think that the new mesh material that Jaguar began to use from, I think, 2008 up to (?) was genuine chromed steel, which is exactly the material that Mina sold me to construct my own XJS grille.

The piece I bought from them was very heavy and cutting it to the exact dimensions that I needed for the car was no joke. We're talking cutting steel here with a Dremel tool; very tedious work that takes forever. Of course, that was in my garage with my limited tooling and without a pre-measured template, which, I presume, professionals have.

It is true that comparing pics from late 2000's Jag mesh grilles to the later versions you can see they're no longer the same, even as the cars approach or exceed the $100K. Too bad, because I can certainly attest, myself, to the quality of the earlier version mesh. Always cutting corners, huh (no pun).

Cheers,

Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Would you be inclined to do something to the bottom grille, as well, in the manner that I did my XJS bottom grille?
Personally not.
I have a VDP, with the chromed splitter, and that is visually more than enough.
And if I had a standard XJ, I should only do it while maintaining the colored splitter (if possible at all, no idea ...).

Quick Reply: XJ8 full Growler mesh Grille