XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Intermittent Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 Intermittent Starting Problem

My 2001 XJ8 (86,000 miles) has an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes I turn the key and all the lights come on but the engine won't start.
It doesn't crank.

I took it to the dealer about 1 yr ago and they charged me $600US for a diagnosis that didn't find anything. They told me the next
diagnostics test is $2400US but they don't guarantee that it will find the problem.

I have been driving a lot more since then, I didn't have any problems for about a year but in the last 3 weeks it has happened about 4 times.
It won't start, then I keep turning the ignition sometimes it takes 10 times and then starts and it's like nothing happened.
All the lights in the dashboard are coming on intermittently & the cigarette lighter works intermittently as well. Could all of these
issues be related? I read somewhere that it could be the power studs?

I plan on taking it in to the dealer again but would like some feedback to give them, if anyone knows anything I would
greatly appreciate it. I have a client that is a Jag mechanic at the dealer that I am taking it in to & hopefully he will give me a straight answer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Patricia

Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Default RE: XJ8 Intermittent Starting Problem

Thats true, check your contacts, if you turn the key... and your terminals are corroded.. but then... as heat gets to them... they run fine.... i had a ford aerostar like that... if it was foggy in the morning.. the car would not start.. if your terminals are a little rusty.. try cleaning them best you can, if the wires are all rusty, cut them back.. get a new terminal bracket and test it out.... but if you see these chain of events... the car when you put the key on, all lights shut off, but when you take the key off everything goes back to normal.... then your just not getting enough current.

BTW... i dont own a jag as of yet.. i cannot find my XJ8L with nav in my area for what i want to pay [X(] so their may be another electrical issue. like, theirs a module... found on the body side.. (of fords) its a ignition control..... that actually converts that key turn into current to the starter.... (any car should have that, but the location.. maybe someone can put some input) and the wire that actually runs to the ignition is just "pushed" on and with over 80K miles the metal coupling may need to be bent back a little to regain strength. which could also result in complete power of all sencondary units... but the starter wont see one amp.

as i researched.. ignition control is not the correct term for that part.... but the idea is the same. the ignition control runs to your coils.

follow your positive wires.. it will lead to it. check the starter itself.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

$600 for diagnosis!!?? Go to a different dealer. Sounds like a battery to me. You had the problem and it quit, but returned recently. Batteries tend to show weaknesses in colder weather. I would try a battery first before spending $2400 on a diagnosis.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM

yes, a battery in cold weather. and also extreme heat. but check your contacts. and go to a discount autoparts and get your alternator and battery tested.