XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation XJ8 Issue

I have a 2001 XJ8 here in FL, with 1385XX miles on it. On Thursday, drove the car 35 miles, made two stop, went to a 90 minute meeting, came down to leave and car wouldn't crank. Had it towed and it sat for the rest of the day. On Friday morning, tow truck came to take it to the mechanic, car cranked. I drove it to the mechanic and ran two errands. Three to four hours later, I go to drive it, won't crank. Saturday around 4pm, car cranks, drives for an hour to my destination.

The fail safe engine light comes on after a few minutes (less than 20 minutes) of driving. When it motion, drives fine. Sometimes, if fail safe isn't already on, it will turn on when I accelerate. Fail safe was on when I bought it in March. Cruise has not engaged during the last month or so. It used to engage as long as the light wasn't on. I have no other lights although during the last four months, the ABS light came on (then went off haven't seen it since) and the airbag light came on (then went off haven't seen it since).

The closest dealer is an hour away, but there are mechanics that have serviced my car within 30 miles.

Any suggestions/remedies?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Natasha,

I've moved your thread from General to X308 section where it should get a faster response.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Natasha R Hines (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds like you are having more than one issue.

The "no crank" could be any number of issues -- but I would check to make sure the positive connection that goes through the right front bulkhead is tight -- this is a known problem area and a poor connection can cause all kinds of issues. If you open the hood and look from the right side of the car you will see a large plastic cover (it has a little compartment lid) -- under this are a few of the CPU's and going through this area is the positive line from the battery -- coming from the trunk - it pops out the front of this compartment and you can see the line going to the starter. Make sure it is clean and tight - this is very easy to do and takes about 5 min. Also check to make sure the battery connections are good including the negative line to the body.

Also -- You must have a good battery in these cars -- a weak battery will cause a low voltage situation at startup and even if it starts OK - can give you warnings.

The "failsafe" can be any number of issues from bad connections at the throttle body to needing a new throttle body - do a search .. you will see a lot of info. Start by checking the connections at the throttle body to make sure they are clean and tight.

The cruise control will is turn off when some of the warning lights are on -- so it may be fine.

The ABS -- could be a problem -- they have an known failure on the circuit board - or it could be from a weak battery at start up -- worry about that later.

Good luck

JimC64 (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

The easiest thing to check would be the battery -- take the car to Advance Auto Parts or any of the auto parts stores and ask them to check your battery --- if it's good, then start on the other stuff. If not, then you have to consider whether it's a problem with the wiring, etc. or just an old worn out battery. I took my 03 XJ8 to the store, not problems ever and when I cam out, no start -- bad battery. Replaced it and haven't had any problems for a couple months. So, check your battery - it's easy and free.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks! I will check the battery at 7AM when Auto Zone opens!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Do you use a particular battery brand?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Without running out to the car and checking, I can only say that it is a name brand sold by PepBoys -- in fact, I got real lucky - my battery was still under warranty so they gave me a new one, no charge! Save me over $100.

I believe this is the one I got -- Bosch Premium Performance Battery | Product Details | Pep Boys

Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

The Bosch branded battery that Pep Boys sells has served me well in numerous cars -- Just make sure you get the correct capacity and it has the vent connection.

While I have certainly had a bad battery start a car -- Then drive to a location only to have the car then not restart ..... I have never had one do this and recover to do it two more times.

I have had this happen when I had a weak and failing alternator -- and a sufficiently new and strong battery to recover after sitting for a while -- but again not twice. And normally you get some clicking and slow cranking.

If the battery proves to be marginal -- I would be careful with the car for a few days before I relied on it without a charging check.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

I second yeldogt's advice regarding getting the battery tested after a couple days if you in fact get a new one. The problem might not be the battery but something else that is causing the battery to fail. It's like putting air in a tire - you have to ask yourself, why did this tire need air and the others didn't!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Question Update

Ok so it wasn't the battery. Bought a brand new one, still didn't start . . .

Last edited by Natasha R Hines; 08-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Take a look at the bulkhead connector

Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM

I think that is what yeldogt first suggested. I tried that first, everything is clean and tight.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

When it will not start -- are you getting any clicks -- anything happening on the dash?

You are saying that the starter is not cranking the engine when you get a no start condition?

When you try to crank do any of the lamps dim? They should if the starter is engaging -- and not turning --- otherwise you may have problem with the starter or solenoid/ relay.

The system is actually very simple and when you have a no crank situation it can only be the battery -- the cranking circuit - or the starter motor.

You may have to have someone checkout if the starter works when directly powered. The starters can jam -- have you ever had an unusual noise when you go and start the car?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by yeldogt
When it will not start -- are you getting any clicks -- anything happening on the dash? no clicks, all lights come on then go off

You are saying that the starter is not cranking the engine when you get a no start condition? I guess :

When you try to crank do any of the lamps dim? They should if the starter is engaging -- and not turning --- otherwise you may have problem with the starter or solenoid/ relay.

The system is actually very simple and when you have a no crank situation it can only be the battery -- the cranking circuit - or the starter motor.

You may have to have someone checkout if the starter works when directly powered. The starters can jam -- have you ever had an unusual noise when you go and start the car?
I have had it towed, I'll post the outcome

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I hope it's not the ground strap.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm told it's a security system issue. They said the P-code they are getting indicates a security violation and the Engine is locked. They said they have to check three computer modules including the ECM to find the error. Does this sound like they are on the right path?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

This may be a long shot, but do you have a second set of keys to try?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Yes they tried that, didn't work.

Here are the codes: P1260, P1571, P1229

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting - the P1260 code indicates theft detected, vehicle immobilzed, P1571 is brake switch, and P1229 is for throttle body according to this site - Most Complete List For Jaguar Check Engine Light Codes

Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Bad fuel pump - thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by Natasha R Hines; 08-13-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: XJ8 Issue