XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Xj8 power loss - no "check engine" warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xj8 power loss - no "check engine" warning

Hi there,

Ive got my dads 1999 xj8 4.0 so i can give it a good clean and polish while he recovers from his knee joint replacement, and give it a good service.

He complained that it lost power once before, and there were no warning lights, so i have been looking out for the problem.

It happened today. Was quite alarming. No power - but no warning lights at all. Engine kept running, did not stall when i pulled to a halt.
When i reached standstill, i shifted back to neutral, and the engine would then respond to the throttle - i think i noticed a puff of smoke from the exhaust, and the car drove normally.

And still no check engine lights.

I'll check for codes tomorrow, but has anyone seen this, it was very strange ( not having any check engine warning)

Also, it seems a bit down on power at low revs 2000-3000rpm but goes like stink above 3500rpm. seem to remember the x308 having a bit more poke, but it could be me, not driven a good one since i worked at jag.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The '99 was subject to a throttle body recall (S514) to address shutdowns while driving. This was a true recall in it's day but has now expired. Dealers will now charge for the reflash. One point of argument; any car in a dealer within the applicable time frame should have been checked for this work. If you have clear documentation that a dealer failed to address this issue you have a point to argue.

Here is a link to some discussion on the subject including an actual copy of the TSB.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...20/#post419521

. . . and welcome to the forum!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Ive worked on cars for many years, used to work for jag landrover too.

What's puzzling me is the lack of a check engine light during the failure.
My experience is that a cough in the wrong direction will put the CEL on, but in this case, complete loss of power, yet driver demand was full throttle, so loads of diagnostics must have been picking up conflicting signals, but no light on the dash???

Is this normal?

The car was bought from a jag dealer in 2000, and owned by my dad ever since - so id be very suprised to find any recalls not carried out, but will check - i also have my contacts in jag still, so will check through them.

Thanks,

Mike.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM

And ive just checked.

No codes stored.....

????????????

Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

This is a fault that will not throw a code. The computer "thinks" everything is fine, because it is programmed that way. There aren't many faults that won't throw a code, as you noted.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Yup, its in this vin range, and was never recalled
Ill let you find out how i get on at the local dealer.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Result.

Just had the car back from the dealer.
New TB and ecu recode as per tsb 514.

Would have cost £340 ish ( not actually bad I thought).

But after much wrangling, and a threat of legal action, Jaguar paid for it as goodwill - they claimed that this was a repair action.
When i asked:-
Why the ecu recode then?
How does software actually wear out?
They then paid up.

Admittedly, the carhas full servicehistory and only done 80k miles.

H.A. Fox in Cheltenham did the work, but didn't cover themselves in glory by giving a really shabby customer service, didnt call me to say the car is finished, and left the plastic panels loose underbonnet. I questioned this, and still havent been called back to replace the missing clip.

Its funny. Just had a change of jobs, and an XF 2.2D is a possibility as a company car - might just get the lexus instead. At least the dealer calls you back! They definitely need a kick up the wotsit. The workshops were filthy too.

Anyway, the car hasnt died yet, including some trips in the pouring rain ( that always brought the problem on in the past). Throttle seems much smoother when pulling away gently. Still goes like the clappers. Forgot how lovely these cars are to drive. Taking an XF for a spin in the new year. Hope its as good as my dads old xj.

Anyway, next job - change the transmission oil.

Plan to get dad his car back just in time for Christmas.
Dont want to give it back though..... It is lovely...

Stay safe.

Mike.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Well done Mike - I'm disappointed to hear of shabby work and dirty shop, it seems it's not just the US dealers that vary in quality of service. My 2 local Dealers in Preston and Liverpool have spotless workshops. The Preston one has just been re-branded HA Fox from Minster.....