XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 Repair

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a couple questions. I recently started putting together a 1999 Jaguar xj8 but I've run into a few small roadblocks. I'd really appreciate it if you folks could help me out with descriptions and/or pictures.

1.) The air intake box has 2 protruding attachments (circled in the picture) that I am assuming go to the hoses (also in the picture). The problem is that the hoses seem too short to attach. Any advice?

2.) There is a long part that goes under the radiator (pictured below), I'm assuming that its purpose is to cool some kind of fluid that passes through it. What is the part called? Where does it attach to?

Any help, advice, and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Victor
Air Intake Box

Mystery Part

Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

The air intake protruding pins are supposed to push into 2 rubber gommets fitted on a frame in the engine bay, then locked by the third gommet/bolt higher up (see drawing).
That hose is not related to the intake, and I can't recall right now where it belongs.

The long part under the radiator is an oil cooler (see drawing).

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the info. Those drawn diagrams are really helpful. Where did you get them from? Is there somewhere online where I can find them?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cooler is for the PAS system, it should be clamped by 2 `P` clips bolted onto the radiator cradle IIRC:

Steering Reservoir and Hoses - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Don B (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vickrasnodemsky
Thank you so much for the info. Those drawn diagrams are really helpful. Where did you get them from? Is there somewhere online where I can find them?
Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for classic Jaguars from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Select your correct model and sub model, and click away ....
It needs a bit of trial and error to find what is where, but it is indeed a big help sometimes...

Don B (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

I definitely can't recall having seen any kind of hoses that you have pointed out in your picture. The only thing I can imagine is that these hoses belong to the screenwasher and/or headlamp washer system. But as far as I know you won't find any t-pieces with the screenwasher system. And the headlamp washer system's t-piece is more of a y-valve than a t-piece.
The two short hose pieces look like if they belong to the vacuum hose system (intake elbow, throttle body, fuel pressure regulator or something like that).
Sorry that I can't tell you more about that, since I don't have a NA car, but the vacuum hoses of the SC engines look exactly like these two.

Cheers, Alexander

Don B (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Knowing where that small cable / wire goes to might give a clue.

Don B (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Mystery Hose

Since I have my air filter box out of the car at the moment, I took a look at my '99 XJ8. I think that xjr2014_de has it about right when referring to a windshield (screen) and headlamp washer system. A very similar hose in exactly the same position, but without the "T" connector and the added branch are in my car, and it runs from the windshield washer reservoir to the windshield washer connection under the windshield cowling. I surmise the "T" connector is (was?) intended to divert fluid to headlamp washers, and if it is an electrical connection, the small cable probably operates a valve that diverts fluid to either the windshield or the headlamps. Does your windshield washer system work? If not, this may be the reason, and a connection to the reservoir (as well as other parts perhaps) may be needed. That's my best guess, anyway. Good luck!