XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 RHD to LHD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Default XJ8 RHD to LHD conversion

So, after 2 years and 18 kmiles of XJ8 ownership, I decided to try the big step to change the steering wheel and all other parts involved, from right to left. A lot of roads in my country are with one band for each way and overtaking is not always easy.
My car is an ex-Manchester UK car, bought for silly money and low mileage and I enjoy every mile driving it.
The body shell is the same, no special modifications are needed, so the grinder and welder will be out of discussion on this process.
All the needed parts are the dashboard, steering rack, the pedals, some wire harnesses, 2 brake pipes and a lot of minor things, including the screen wiper motor and handbrake (not really needed, but just to have a complete conversion). I used to make this operation years ago, with a Ford Sierra, but it was easier, as the electrics were very simple, just a harness with 20 wires in it.

UPDATE
- for the others wanting to do such conversion, parts needed:
-the dashboard,with the window defroster grilles, all 4, the middle one can be used from the RHD,also the glove box can stay
-the veneer set for the dash and for the front doors switches
-door locks and latches
-windscreen transmission , the electric motor can be used from RHD also
-the steering rack, with both higher and lower pressure pipes
-harnesses: dashboard, console, engine emission , and some more probably, but just minor differencies are between R and L.
-brake pipes, from master cylinder to ABS modulator
-wiper arm, handbrake arm, floor carpet
-plastic covers for the brake pump and computer box

About 800 $ in parts, probably 1000 delivered, but in Europe, the costs are far higher (5-600 only for the dash).

UPDATE

Job done! The car is ready, starts and drives! Steering wheel on the left.

Last edited by flay; 04-20-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: update on parts needed
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

There is an EXCELLENT scrap yard in CA (I can highly recommend them!). They have late model cars, and sell the interior parts FOR PEANUTS. Search "Elite Auto Parts" in Sun Valley California. I don't know how much would shipping be to Romania, but they have what you want, and with LOW mileage. They update their inventory weekly, and if you send them an email with what you need, they will contact you when they have it.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Well then you guys should get together, and do some part swapping!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
Well then you guys should get together, and do some part swapping!
Good one, Danielsand.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by danielsand
There is an EXCELLENT scrap yard in CA (I can highly recommend them!). They have late model cars, and sell the interior parts FOR PEANUTS. Search "Elite Auto Parts" in Sun Valley California. I don't know how much would shipping be to Romania, but they have what you want, and with LOW mileage. They update their inventory weekly, and if you send them an email with what you need, they will contact you when they have it.
Thank you for that, I searched, but the site (eliteforeignauto.com) is not working; I found some guys transporting parcels to Romania for around 100-150 dollars, so I am thinking that USA market is a very reliable option.The prices are also 1/4 than in Europe, except UK of course.
I found a scrapyard in Dallas area having what I want, but after 10 ebay messages(yes, we have it, yes, it's that color), they stopped answering when I asked the pictures of the interior, even if I was ready to pay their price.

Driving a RHD in continental Europe is fun, but not always, my wife is scared sometimes seeing the trucks coming while I am overtaking or seeing the cars passing a few inches from her door mirror.

Last edited by flay; 01-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Give Elite a call 1(818)767-0445
Ask for Rick, the owner (you don't want to talk to anyone else). Tell him you got the number from Jaguar forum (you can drop my name if you want). He is a VERY helpfull guy.
His email is eliteautoparts@hotmail.com
Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
flay (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM

Thank you, just mailed them!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Well, after some contacts I can see that the scrapyard guys in the States like to split the dashboard in 100 pieces and it's hard to find a whole unit.
I just found a brand new dash veneer set for a very good price on ebay, the project is ongoing.
One question, there is no headlight leveling button on your XJ8's? I looked on some dash boards and there is just trunk opening button there.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flay
One question, there is no headlight leveling button on your XJ8's? I looked on some dash boards and there is just trunk opening button there.
Leveling headlights is a feature only for european cars... If there is no such switch than the car is made for the US market. This is all due to regulations in EU existing since 1960's.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Flay is there no lhd car that have been written off/crashed in mainland Europe? Are there any nikasil/A drum failed cars around in say Germany or Italy or France?
I wouldn't limit yourself to later cars, you need the dash shell.

You can use almost all modules, just swap them over? Maybe a donor car....

Brave idea buying it bit by bit, it could end up a long time before you get it all together. Maybe a kind forum member in the USA would help you out, there seems to be a couple of parts cars on here?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM

Sean, the project will start this spring, I bought the veneer just because it was 49 pounds brand new, or other new parts if they are half price.

I need also the wire harness for the dash, this is why I need a late car, mine is F53XXX , the latest wire harness for the dash comes after F20645 .Also the engine management harness must be from the same F... and not from an XJR. Nobody wants electric trouble with the XJ8.

So, a non-XJR, after 2001, with the VIN after F20645.

Danielsand was very helpful,but the scrapyards are real termites, taking all the parts from the dash selling 50 parts instead of 1 complete.

I found in Netherlands a very expensive dash, one in the wrong color, I found another one few days ago, it's a pain because of the color match. The rest is not so complicated, plug and play...

Maybe you can give me a steering rack repair center for Jags in UK, maybe they have a LHD.

Last edited by flay; 01-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Junkyards are just trying to maximize their profits, just like any other business. Rick over at "Elite" likes to do "package deals",.....the more you buy, the more the price per item goes down. If you talk to him again, ask him to make you a "package deal" and tell him specifically what parts of the dash you need. Dash is EXTREMELY hard for him to sell (how many people destroy the dashboards in these cars?). Some parts of the dash might be "easy moving", but most of it is not. He needs to keep the cashflow going so he can buy more cars that have the parts that are in more demand.

Example: I called him on the Ivory VDP driver's seat. Quoted price $250.- if I pick up.

I drove my truck over there (two hours away from me), and ended up purchasing, ALL seats (front and back) with all switches, motors, headrests etc, complete center console (not just the armrest!), four complete door panels (with all fixtures, wood, and speakers), gas cap lid (not the cap, the painted flap), climate controle dash panel - complete, four OEM center caps (mine were ok but I wanted them green!), chrome grab handle caps (I was missing one, now I have spares),....and all that for $500.- cash out the door!

Basically the whole new interior (except the carpet) The donor car was 2003 VDP with 23K on the clock. Stuff is like BRAND NEW. Mine had 80K when I bought it, and it belonged to a family with kids. There was scuffs in the leather from the baby seat, scuffs from kids shoes, ball point pen marks on EVERYTHING, worn driver's seat, etc. Mechanically VERY well taken care off, but (IMO) trashed inside. When I purchased the car, I offered 1K less for it (which was 2K less than he was asking!) knowing I WILL have to redo the interior. Even the mirror had the black goo (luckily not leaking yet!) in the half of the view field. Luckily for me, the guy had the headliner replaced few weeks before I bought it, and the carpet was perfect (after the through steam cleaning).

So,....don't be affraid to ask for deals! Remember, cash talks.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Sean, the project will start this spring, I bought the veneer just because it was 49 pounds brand new, or other new parts if they are half price.

I need also the wire harness for the dash, this is why I need a late car, mine is F53XXX , the latest wire harness for the dash comes after F20645 .Also the engine management harness must be from the same F... and not from an XJR. Nobody wants electric trouble with the XJ8.

So, a non-XJR, after 2001, with the VIN after F20645.

Danielsand was very helpful,but the scrapyards are real termites, taking all the parts from the dash selling 50 parts instead of 1 complete.

I found in Netherlands a very expensive dash, one in the wrong color, I found another one few days ago, it's a pain because of the color match. The rest is not so complicated, plug and play...

Maybe you can give me a steering rack repair center for Jags in UK, maybe they have a LHD.
I rebuild my racks with kits from britishparts. The XK8 rack is the same. That might help your search.

I understand your point about the later electronics, I had a costly mistake with a rogue Jaguar parts guy who sold me a car that was supposed to be 2001, it turned out to be 99 and I had to take a hit on it.

I still think buying a bent donor would be easier, but I also understand finding a match, worst case is an interior swap? Do you 100% want to keep original colour?

It took me almost a year to locate a donor for my complete rebuild into one of those new bodyshells. It was on the door step and looking back, an absolute bargain. Have you talked to blackcountryjaguar about lhd parts, they might be able to help? Also Eurojag. Those guys might just have one or two parts.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM

I found 2 cars in a scrapyard somewhere in Wisconsin, my numbers and color, but the guy wants some big prices, I am thinking about it. I found another one close by, in Wien but I don't know if the color is matching.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

I found 2 cars in a scrapyard somewhere in Wisconsin, my numbers and color, but the guy wants some big prices, I am thinking about it. I found another one close by, in Wien but I don't know if the color is matching.
Good - let's hope it doesn't take too long to find something.......at the right price

Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM

I am thinking if following the VIN of a car, somebody can identify specific interior color or if a specific wire harness was used following the part's code.
I was looking on the site of jaguarclassicparts, and it seems that any wire harness after F20645 is the same, as long as it's not SC. I am thinking in particular at the engine management harness , the one going from the main computer box, under the bonnet to the engine harness, if it's the same or if the NA specifications are different and one wire is not the same.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Hey guys! Try this website: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market This is a site used by auto body shops in the US to see what's available in terms of recycled parts. It will allow you to specify car/model/part and also allow you to search throughout US.

Wrecking yards in the US are usually flexible when it comes to making a sale. They can sell you a grille or a bumper cover but in turn they can also sell you the entire front clip. In fact, they prefer to sell complete assemblies as it clears space, minimizes labor to remove individual parts and allows them to recoup their profits faster by selling more parts at one single time. Specify to the wrecking yard that you need the entire dash with trim, gauges, airbags, etc. and they will be happy to ship that to you. Also, you will get a better price getting the assembly as a whole rather than piece by piece.

In terms of where to look for parts in US, keep in mind that Southern California is a car mecca of US in terms of quantity and quality. Its also the place where more high end cars are sold than anywhere else in the US. Jaguar is much rarer bird in Wisconsin than in California therefore the choices are more limited and may drive the price a bit higher.

For Jaguar specific in Southern Cal you may also try S&T Auto at +1 818 767 5845. I've dealt with them on some Jag parts in the past but am not endorsing them, just referencing.

flay (01-26-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking on the site of jaguarclassicparts, and it seems that any wire harness after F20645 is the same, as long as it's not SC.
It is, and should just plug in - trust this site and no others - it's Jaguar's own parts site

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 AM

I found a scrapyard in Cal, in Hesperia, some good prices but not the matching colors for my car. They have a recent black interior from a 03 Super V8, maybe someone want some interior upgrades.
I hate the fact the guy in WI have the right parts, numbers,but bigger prices. I am a little reluctant to propose 450 versus his 650 initial list prices. Is it common in the States, or he will stop answering?
I have to pay 150-200 more for the transport over the ocean, so, a good investment.

Last edited by flay; 01-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM

I found a scrapyard in Cal, in Hesperia, some good prices but not the matching colors for my car. They have a recent black interior from a 03 Super V8, maybe someone want some interior upgrades.
I hate the fact the guy in WI have the right parts, numbers,but bigger prices. I am a little reluctant to propose 450 versus his 650 initial list prices. Is it common in the States, or he will stop answering?
I have to pay 150-200 more for the transport over the ocean, so, a "good" investment.
It's actually quite common to negotiate prices in the US, just depends how you approach it. Explain to him that you will have additional expenses for shipping and see if he can adjust the price to help you with these. Folk here don't like to be ground just for the sake of it. However, everyone likes to help and if you reason with the seller I don't see why he wouldn't help you.

Keep in mind that this is a "one time" purchase meaning that if the color and condition is exactly what you need then be prepared to pay a little extra. When the part is installed, the $$ difference will not matter much...

flay (01-26-2013)

Quick Reply: XJ8 RHD to LHD conversion