XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 Tensioners

Ok everyone,

If you notice I joined the forums yesterday proud to pick up my first Jag: 2000 XJ8.

On the way back, I stopped at a gas station to fuel up. Low and behold the engine started shaking dramatically and the words "Restricted Performance" came on following the engine light. I drove it 3 miles stopped for 30 minutes. Afterword the car started and drove smoothly.

Tensioners? I hope not, this car was well maintained and recorded. But it looks like this is the issue and I will need to get some.

I've done some research on what I will need, but really could use some input from those who have experienced tensioner issues and successful replaced them. Here is a link to some I've found.

PS: I've got make a 300 mile drive tomorrow with the XJ8.

I look forward and appreciate the replies . . .

Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Raz, dunno if its your tensioners mate, but recommended that they're done as soon as you can anyways I'd say.

There's loads of posts on it here on the forum in various sections for you to check out.

The guys will chime i with excellent info shortly I'm sure.........good luck

Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

This thread is useless without "codes."

It could be something simple, but do your tensioners as soon as you can anyway.

Pull the codes from the OBD and post them here.

Vector

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum . . . and the wonderful world of Jaguar.

Something like you describe that just goes away without leaving a little Check Engine Light (CEL) kiss behind is most likely an electrical problem and there are a world of those.

You are subject to the plastic tensioner engine destroyer if you cannot verify that they haven't been changed out by now. I could not sleep well before a 300 mile drive without knowing the status of plastic or metal tensioners considering the penalty on a 12 year old car is a replacement engine.

Replacing the tensioners is about a 3 on a 10 scale of complexity. The most difficult part is getting the oil level tube out, and back in the block. Did mine in 4 hours for the first time and much of that time was detailing the engine.

We should have a Georgia rally! Lots of Atlanta area cars and I know all the mountains restaurants and twisty roads.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Razmussen:
You will find that there are two methods to do a tensioner job. If you decide to go with the shop manual method and you want to borrow the tools, give me a PM and we will see what we need to do to get together.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Victor- What do you mean by: "This thread is useless without "codes."
Are you talking about what was displayed on my dashboard?
If you can't tell I'm a newb to this.

@Ross- I'd like to take a look at what generation my current tensioner's are; however, I'm ordering the 3rd generation metal one's for the weekend.

I'd like a little guidance and help with this since I'm very new to everything right now. I live right at Midtown, Atlanta off of Ponce de Leon.

Thank again everyone

Razz

Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The codes referred are the OBDII codes associated with a Check Engine Light. You made no mention of having a CEL so you probably do not have any related to the issue at hand. If you do have a CEL stop by any of the national auto parts stores and ask to have the codes read for free and post them back here.

If the tensioners caused the shaking problem it most likely would not have gone away on its own.

Lots of posts on changing out the tensioners. While many have changed the tensioners with a nylon zip tie I would take Sparkenzap up on his offer to help with the Jaguar tools.

Here is more information than you ever wanted on tensioners:

Cam Chain Tensioners - Removing Valve Covers Only

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...17/#post316489

Cam Chain Tensioners

Help - sudden fail - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
I just changed my own timing chain tensioners........ - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Ford tensioners for Jaguar??? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Tensioners, when are they a "must replace" item? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire
DIY ~ Jaguar 4.0 (R&R) Timing belt, Tensioners, Water Pump, etc. - Calguns.net

Cam Chain Tensioners Lincoln LS Part Numbers

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...34/#post330655

JTIS .pdf files on Chains/Tensioners replacement

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...prokets-54603/

Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, check/do the tensioners like everyone else is saying. I would take a quick look under the valve cover before ordering the parts; they may have already been changed. A few screws to twist, but it's relatively easy.

As for your original problem, my car did the same thing once. Had the codes read and it was the throttle body (TB). The car ran fine for another four months before I put a new TB on.