XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8: Various issues related or isolated?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8: Various issues related or isolated?

I have a several minor issues with my '02 XJ8. I hate loading them all into one thread, but I suspect that all or most of them might be related to one another... maybe symptoms of a real unknown cause?

First of all, let's talk about the good. The car runs very well and rarely ever skips a beat mechanically.

I'm suspecting that I might have an electrical issue that's throwing out random dashboard messages that end up having little to no substance when I check the issue it warned me about. So here's a descriptive list of what is going on:

1. "Check Rear Lights" warning - I did have a tail light go out about two months back, but I changed it out with a new one. It is entirely possible that another has gone out and I have not verified this yet.

2. "Engine Coolant Low" warning - I checked the reservoir (manual calls it the "sump") and it appears to be quite full and a vivid orange color. I might flush it out and replace it anyway, but maybe I have a bad sensor or clog somewhere? The temperature gauge needle never goes past the halfway mark.
(Note: These warnings are intermittent and sometimes I go days without seeing them at all.)
3. My windshield wiper does not work. This is a more serious problem because it poses a potential for a very hazardous scenario. I'm hoping that it is just the relay that needs to be replaced and not something like the blade arm motor. I have not been able to find a place locally that carries the relay I need and will probably be forced to go to the Jaguar-Land Rover dealer in Cincinnati. The radio, climate control, headlights, and horn are functioning normally.

4. Finally, I have a strange and extremely annoying rattling sound coming from the rear right tire. The smallest bump will make a loud sound. No, I don't think this is related to the other problems, but you never know. I checked the shocks and they appear to be fine. My only guess is bad bushings on the sway bar.

Has anyone had similar issues with their vehicles, preferably '97-'03 XJ8 owners? Thanks for reading.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

2. "Engine Coolant Low" warning - I checked the reservoir (manual calls it the "sump") and it appears to be quite full and a vivid orange color. I might flush it out and replace it anyway, but maybe I have a bad sensor or clog somewhere? The temperature gauge needle never goes past the halfway mark.
Hi Straight! Had this warning and found that the sensor located underneath coolant container had dropped out. I simply pushed it back in and noticed it fit well. No more warning light.

1. "Check Rear Lights" warning - I did have a tail light go out about two months back, but I changed it out with a new one. It is entirely possible that another has gone out and I have not verified this yet.
Well! I got this one time the other day and not seen it again. May be my brake light but will ignore until she shows again.

I just bought it! And then tranny went out... so good luck!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Check out this other forum thread on Low Coolant sensor warning:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-sensor-70566/

You may have a stuck coolant sensor in the cooling expansion tank (it is probably not floating) and can be unstuck without much effort.

Also make sure you fill the cooling expansion tank all the way up to the very top of the tank.

Here is another helpful forum thread on low coolant level warning:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-light-19717/

Some of the posts describe how to burp the cooling system to get out any air pockets in the system.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-02-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. And sorry for the late response from me... The windshield wiper relay ended up being fine, it was just not making a solid connection. On to fix the coolant sensor!