XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 vs S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgoose
As for all this "Oooh, anything that isn't an XJ isn't a proper Jag!!" - well, I'm not going to dignify any of that with a response. The General does not brawl with non-commissioned types in the mess-hall! ;o)

hmmm....seems like the "general" brawls "passive-aggressively!" LOL

As for the retro look, yes I agree that's what the S-Type was supposed to be -- and in that respect, from an appearance standpoint, I think they did a good job.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I was careful to let everyone know that I wasn't comparing apples to apples, but your comparison of the S-Type to a 5 series (I assume you mean BMW?) is way off, in my opinion. The S-Type is truly not much more than a Honda Accord.
Fair enough then- the XJ series has always reminded me of the Ford Crown Victorias. Great land yacht for long distance highway cruising, but don't ask it to stop, turn or go.

Is there any point to this bashing? Buy the Jag you like and enjoy it.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

I didn't find the trunk size to be all that huge -- I normally take a lot of stuff on my trips, and it seemed like I had to lighten the load a bit to get all my stuff in the S-Type's trunk. Maybe the XJ8 trunk is wider? It sure isn't as deep as the S-Type, so it seems like I should have had a lot of extra room.

Here's another plus for the S-Type - it has a "proper" sunroof -- with glass! I would like that, and it's one of the many reasons I'm thinking about upgrading to an X350 XJ8.
why would you want a glass sunroof? every car I ve had with a glass sunroof dripped water on you in winter when they freeze up on the inside, condensation was also a constant problem in anything but a really nice summers day. also I think they look like those cheep self fit jobbies from the 80s. this is only my opinion and I respect other peoples. it would be a really sad world if we all thought the same!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
why would you want a glass sunroof? every car I ve had with a glass sunroof dripped water on you in winter when they freeze up on the inside, condensation was also a constant problem in anything but a really nice summers day.
How strange. Every car I've had for the last 30ish years has had either a glass or metal sunroof but not one has ever dripped on me for any reason or has their been appreciable condensation.

Maybe where you live/local weather is a factor.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
How strange. Every car I've had for the last 30ish years has had either a glass or metal sunroof but not one has ever dripped on me for any reason or has their been appreciable condensation.

Maybe where you live/local weather is a factor.
I never had a problem with a metal sunroof, just the glass ones. it could well be the climate, it has been winter for about the last 3 years [give or take 3 or 4 weeks] in south London. maybe a slight exaggeration, but it certainly seems like it!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Fair enough then- the XJ series has always reminded me of the Ford Crown Victorias. Great land yacht for long distance highway cruising, but don't ask it to stop, turn or go.

You need to just go away. You're attitude is not at all conducive to having an adult conversation. Maybe you'd be happier on another site where your BS is mistaken for intelligence. Adios, dude. Please ignore any and all posts that I make in the future.

The following users liked this post:
p-Rock (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
why would you want a glass sunroof? every car I ve had with a glass sunroof dripped water on you in winter when they freeze up on the inside, condensation was also a constant problem in anything but a really nice summers day. also I think they look like those cheep self fit jobbies from the 80s. this is only my opinion and I respect other peoples. it would be a really sad world if we all thought the same!
Sometimes it's nice to open the sunroof just for more light in the car -- and other times it's nice to open it for more air. I've had many cars with glass sunroofs and never had a leaking problem -- maybe it's because I live in sunny south Florida where it never freezes.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar issue with my Opel Omega.
It had been snowing heavily and I had about a foot of snow on the roof, I was taking my kids to school.
They said it was too stuffy and I should open the roof, so I pretended I had NO IDEA what would happen next.

They laughed like maniacs, totally worth it.

Might not have happened if it was not a glass roof ;-)

BTW: I bought a Jaguar and I love it.

Lincoln

Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM

You need to just go away. You're attitude is not at all conducive to having an adult conversation. Maybe you'd be happier on another site where your BS is mistaken for intelligence. Adios, dude. Please ignore any and all posts that I make in the future.
So you don't want more help with your S-type?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...n-going-92711/

OK.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Mikey posts in X308 sometimes, he is oftentimes
responding averse to something we are talking about.
Note that I made a favourable and mediation-style S-Type
comment to respond, but was ignored, and the
fellow went and attacked someone else whom was slightly less
moderate. Not everyone sees what we are on about. Just recognise users who are upset more easily.

And in response to the Crown Victoria comment,
a.) Crown Vic had its place and was excelllent at it.
b.) The X308 is lighter than the S-Type so I don't
see why you would find its braking/cornering abilities
unsatisfactory.

In fact, its braking results in N/A form were superior
From both 60 and 70 in all major publications, and
The base XJR outstops the Brembo-equipped S-Type
by 7ft from 70mph.

These discussions need to be looked at with a sense
of humour, and that camaraderie shouldn't be lost
between subforums.

Ian

Last edited by Ipc838; 04-02-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Tuesday
JRo (04-03-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ianclements

between subforums.

Ian
Absolutely- I'm just surprised and disappointed to see series-bashing on this board. If it's perfectly OK to negatively compare an S-type to a Honda Accord with no one taking offence, why does comparing an XJ to a Ford Crown Vic cause an uproar?

Ian- I read your rundown on the S-type above (certainly did not ignore)and found it quite informative and accurate without coming off as being judgmental. I'll go back and hit the thanks button.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm surprised the S-type owners on here aren't defending their cars as much as they should.

Although the X308 is more luxurious, stylish, and unique than the S-type, I will admit that the S-type was more competitive with the 5 series than the X308 was with the 7 series/S class. By 2003, the S-type had a better drivetrain (4.2L V8 models), better (and glass) sunroof, more sophiticated rear suspension, better navigation, stability control and more/better airbags.

The X308 was unique, and almost seemed as if it wasn't meant to be cross shopped with other brands. The X308 lacked many many features other full sized luxury cars had. This unique position was not profitable for Jaguar and was not a good long term strategy. The S-type, however, was more competitive in its class and designed to pull more people into the brand.

Before the S-type, Jaguar was maybe a bit too snooty. Back when my parent's bought a XJ40 new, the Jaguar dealer was like a country club, a bit like a somewhat less expensive Maserati. You had the XJS or the XJ6/VDP/XJ12. Two expensive models to choose from. The S-type brought Jaguar more in line with Mercedes and BMW. The X308 continued the "exclusivity" of the XJ40/XJS while it lost marketshare to BMW and Mercedes in a growing luxury car market.

Last edited by burmaz; 04-02-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Mikey (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by burmaz
I'm surprised the S-type owners on here aren't defending their cars as much as they should.
Looking at some of the attitude above, I can see why not. Jeeze.

Although some of my posts are of an 'averse' nature as Ian points out- they have NEVER been been negative towards a person's model preference. I can't say I've seen previous examples of a supposed hierarchy anywhere on the site, one of the positive things that sets us apart from other marque-specific boards that I (used to) frequent.

Not sure if it's still running but for a short period I was a member of an Infiniti site. The Q45 guys somehow felt entitled to bash the then new G series owners who felt entitled to bash the older J series and so on. There was even a suggestion to boot out the I and QX vehicles since they were lowly rebadged Nissans.

No thanks.

Ipc838 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Infiniti might attract a more Oakley-wearing populace. The
Jaguar Forums tend to be more civil than any forums I have
read, the BMW forums being by far the worst. I didn't want
to criticize you, Mikey, but there are a lot of things the X308
Guys probably say with the expectation that it is confidential
to the S-Type guys etc. and I can see why they would be up-
setting.

@Burmaz... the XJ40 was quite cheap for what it was, I don't
think the brand was particularly snooty. But then again
my first visit to a Jaguar dealership was in 2010. I learned
about the cars from racing games, in the 90s, XJR-15s and
XK8s were in all those games. Idk if that made the brand
more accessible or not.

Ian

Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 AM
JRo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was careful to let everyone know that I wasn't comparing apples to apples, but your comparison of the S-Type to a 5 series (I assume you mean BMW?) is way off, in my opinion. The S-Type is truly not much more than a Honda Accord.
OldMike,

I meant no offense but the truth for Jaguar at the time is that they needed a car that was a mid-size sedan that shoppers would cross shop the A6 and the BMW 5 Series.

We can debate if they hit the mark or not and I am guessing you feel they missed the mark. That is fine. I am not sure I disagree as the S-Type was not as dynamic as the 5 series. I would say that I would love to have a S Type R because they are pretty impressive and different in all the ways that matter to me.

My only point was that the S-Type was a pretty good car in its own right in my humble opinion. It certainly isn't the same as the XJ8s but that is not a bad thing in my opinion. I love the XJ8 for all the things that the S-Type doesn't possess but I still get the beauty of the S-Type for its own merits.

In any case, I am simply jealous that you got to compare the cars while I am still looking for a good example of either for my own garage.

In any case enjoy your ride.

Jason

Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 AM
JRo

Originally Posted by jimgoose
The idea with the "modern" S-Type was to re-incarnate the 1963 model of the same name, via a very Retro look on a simultaneously thoroughly modern automobile, was it not?

;o)
Indeed the S-Type was "Just a little bit of history repeating." I agree that it was a very modern interpretation of the 1963 model. Few manufactures had such a beautiful heritage to bring into the modern error.

I like that there are/were manufactures willing to bring cars like the S-Type to market. Most cars in the last few decades have become devoid of character. There is something about every Jaguar that I have seen and driven that reminds me why I like automobiles in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed owning and driving various Audi's and Mercedes over the years but I have always appreciated the special feeling that I get when I get in a Jaguar.

Thanks,

Jason

Mikey (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 AM
JRo

Hmmm.....It is hard to address this comparison. I get your point about the absurdity but the few XJ series I have drive have been like no other car I've driven in terms of road manners. Of course if I had to use a car for police patrol or NY Taxi service I suppose the Crown Vic has its place too.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JRo
...There is something about every Jaguar that I have seen and driven that reminds me why I like automobiles in the first place...
Nail on the head, my good man. Every time I get into that thing (or any Jag) I say to myself, "Ah - that's it. This is why I love to drive!!". ;o)

Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM
JRo

Originally Posted by ianclements
Mikey posts in X308 sometimes, he is oftentimes
responding averse to something we are talking about.
Note that I made a favourable and mediation-style S-Type
comment to respond, but was ignored, and the
fellow went and attacked someone else whom was slightly less
moderate. Not everyone sees what we are on about. Just recognise users who are upset more easily.

And in response to the Crown Victoria comment,
a.) Crown Vic had its place and was excelllent at it.
b.) The X308 is lighter than the S-Type so I don't
see why you would find its braking/cornering abilities
unsatisfactory.

In fact, its braking results in N/A form were superior
From both 60 and 70 in all major publications, and
The base XJR outstops the Brembo-equipped S-Type
by 7ft from 70mph.

between subforums.

Ian
Could not agree more with the entire thought. Thanks for this.

Jason

Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JRo
Hmmm.....It is hard to address this comparison. I get your point about the absurdity but the few XJ series I have drive have been like no other car I've driven in terms of road manners. Of course if I had to use a car for police patrol or NY Taxi service I suppose the Crown Vic has its place too.
Of course the comparison is absurd- I deliberately chose Ford's land yacht versus a more reasonable competitive vehicle from MB, BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln etc. I'm sure even the mention of those two latter marques make some cringe. There again comparing the S-type to a Accord is a little absurd too.

I liked your comment "...There is something about every Jaguar that I have seen and driven that reminds me why I like automobiles in the first place..." I believe this applies to every car the Jag has ever produced no matter what series it might be.

Quick Reply: XJ8 vs S-Type