XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 vs S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
I'm surprised the S-type owners on here aren't defending their cars as much as they should.
I doubt that they have seen the thread otherwise I'm sure they would.

I could post a link in the S section?

Originally Posted by Mikey
There again comparing the S-type to a Accord is a little absurd too.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I doubt that they have seen the thread otherwise I'm sure they would...
Well, one of us is chuffin' well here - see post# 20!! ;o)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Maybe I should have qualified that statement?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgoose
The idea with the "modern" S-Type was to re-incarnate the 1963 model of the same name, via a very Retro look on a simultaneously thoroughly modern automobile, was it not?

As for all this "Oooh, anything that isn't an XJ isn't a proper Jag!!" - well, I'm not going to dignify any of that with a response. The General does not brawl with non-commissioned types in the mess-hall! ;o)
Gorgeous pic of a true classic.

This one does it for me too and is one of the reasons I bought an Accor...... uhhh S-type.

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 vs S-Type-491743118_e804d821ec.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JimmyL (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 239 Likes on 168 Posts

I think there's enough conflict in the world already without the need for a 'Civil War' amongst owners who are all loyal to the Jaguar marque-in whatever shape or form the cars appear in...

I love the XJS, although it was roundly panned when it appeared-for not being as beautiful as the E-Type.

I bought the X300 & X308 models because I loved the shape. I don't have a downer on the S-Type & I've never driven one, so I can't comment on the vehicle dynamics. The S-Type was never meant to compete in the same market as the flagship XJ models, so it had to be different from the XJ. Whilst the shape may polarise people's opinions, there's no doubt that it's distinctive & stands out from the crowd.

A Honda Accord has no similarities with an S-Type R, either

At the end of the day it all comes down to the individual's preferences-we all bought the best car, or we'd have bought a different one

The following 2 users liked this post by Red October:
Mikey (04-03-2013), Norri (04-03-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Why can't we all get along?

I had an opportunity to drive an X-type 2.5. While I would recommend some lashing for the interior designer in charge of materials selection, overall its a very decent car. I drive an XJR so me commenting on the 2.5's performance would not be fair. I could see X-Type with a manual in red as my daily driver. Somebody, please give me a good reason for this thread...

Last edited by Tirefriar; 04-04-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 AM
JRo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Of course the comparison is absurd- I deliberately chose Ford's land yacht versus a more reasonable competitive vehicle from MB, BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln etc. I'm sure even the mention of those two latter marques make some cringe. There again comparing the S-type to a Accord is a little absurd too.

Mikey,

I thought it was a pretty funny comment. I like sarcasm and new immediately why you chose the Crown Vic. As I re-read my response, I didn't really convey that and I apologize. That is the problem for me with written response. Sometimes, my smile doesn't come through properly. In any event, my wife explained to me why I didn't get the OP's point of view and now it makes perfect sense.

We have 4 Greyhounds. They are lovely dogs and make great house pets. Truth be told, there are few dogs or any animal that I don't like. In the past we have had Beagles, mixed breeds etc and they all had a special place in my heart . I would consider owning another bread someday if we didn't already have a small petting zoo. My wife on the other hand is pretty convinced that she will never have any other breed than a Greyhound.

Thats cool with me just as OldMike's opinion is cool with me. Some people like what they like and then there are people like myself that like everything.

When I think of some of the silly cars I have enjoyed over the years, it would make people gasp (I know my wife sometimes does). I can passionately argue the merits of my 85 Sentra wagon as well as my XJS as well as my 78 Coupe d'Ville. To me they have all been fun (albeit in very different ways). My wife would beg to differ. I would suggest that my wife is more discerning and that is not a bad thing. I suspect OldMike is more discerning that I am too and that is perfectly fine as well.

Despite the odd turn this thread took, it has been an interesting read and I thank the original poster for starting it. For me, no harm-no foul.

All the best,

Jason

The following users liked this post:
Norri (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
hmmm....seems like the "general" brawls "passive-aggressively!" LOL

As for the retro look, yes I agree that's what the S-Type was supposed to be -- and in that respect, from an appearance standpoint, I think they did a good job.
The General is my car, not me - see my sig! He does what he likes... ;o)

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

so north korea huh? they sure are nuts

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Somebody, please give me a good reason for this thread...
Pancake Bunny has not been gainfully employed for quite some time, and spring is here...........(?)

Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by p-Rock
so north korea huh? they sure are nuts
Good try p-Rock!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

FWIW, I have always liked the S Type. The old ones and the new ones. They are distinctive and classy looking IMHO. I can't say I've ever driven one though. I see a nice new white one in the parking lot every morning. The chrome and white paint job really make it stick out in a crowd.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

When I become interested in something I usually go through several steps. First, I gather information about it. Sometimes that is enough and I move on. Next, I give it a try without any commitment. Finally I jump in and do/experience/buy or whatever.

When I was at step two I wanted to try driving a Jaguar. I found a 2005 S type 4.2 for sale near my house. I took it out for a test drive...and was I ever impressed. I loved the lines. It made me think of the time back in the 1950's when as a teen ager I opened Road and Track and saw the new Jaguar C types at LeMans. The S type grill is obvously modelled on the C type. Anyway the S type really impressed me. It had just under 50,000 miles on it and they were asking $10,000! The test drive launched me into step three immediately!

But it was bright red. My most unfavorite color after black. I did not want to spend the next few years driving around in a car that was "hello officer red".

Later I found a Sable low miler. The day I was going to go buy it I called ahead...and it had been sold. :-(

Then I drove an XJ8. Man was I impressed. However I continued looking for an S type because it seemed smaller and more economical. THEN I found out that the XJ8 is both larger...and lighter! After that it was an XJ8 for me...and now there is one in my driveway.

My neighbor has an X type 2.5 with a standard trans. He loves it.

Personally, I think they are all beautiful.

Just my .02

Tom

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I just returned from my 4,000 mile trip in the S-type and I have to say that the more I drove this car, the more I liked it. My tired rear-end likes the cushiness of the XJ8 seats, though!

Now that I'm back home, I have to take my box of parts for my XJ8 to my mechanic so he can get that car back on the road again. The only good thing about the timing of all this is that my XJ8 has 4k fewer miles on it now than it would've had if I took it on the trip rather than the S-type! That's a good thing since my XJ8 has about 88k already, and 4k more it didn't need!