XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Won't start...won't even whimper

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 Won't start...won't even whimper

I just bought an XJ8 a month ago. Took it to mechanic to have rt rear window module replaced. It was in and out and in and out...currently in. After the first couple of times in the shop it wouldn't start. Turn the key and nothing happens...at all. Took it back, again.

Now, additionally, the interior lights wouldn't go off, can't use the locking FOB on keyring, while driving the windows won't lock and when I push the button down it pops right back up again.Seats won't set. This is all on the off chance that it does start. What's up? Thanks to anyone who can help. This is my dream car which has turned into a nightmare.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Default RE: XJ8 Won't start...won't even whimper

This is a 2000 XJ8 with 74k miles.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 PM

[align=left]Welcome Monkamah.
I would check the battery for a full charge and do a load test on it. Also make sure the battery terminals are clean and making good contact. Then follow both battery cables to their destination and check to make sure they are clean and making good contact. Then check the main ground strap from the engine to the frame to make sure it is making good contact. My car has it located by the starter.

My Jaguar main ground strap had a label on it that said it must be replaced if it is removed from the car. I just cleaned mine and soldered the terminals to the braid, where Jaguar had only crimped them on when they were made. I only soldered about 25% of the braid contact of the terminal on both ends. Then I taped the braid and put a silver cloth sleeve over it. This way it should always perform just like a new Jaguar ground cable.

In my mind it makes about as much sense to replace a ground strap in good condition as it does to change an oil plug after each oil change! [sm=smiley20.gif]
[/align]

Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Also, check where the hot lead runs through the firewall on its way to the starter (directly in front of front pass side seat). The lead is connected to posts here which are notorious for coming loose and creating exactly the situation you're experiencing.

George

Old 08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

check the power studs at the megafuse junction left to the battery in a black box.. they come loose and melt.. and cause weird things.. also check the power stud under hood right side.. has a boot on it.. they come loose and melt

Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM

This problem we are having is intermitent...sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. We did not have this problem at all until we took it to mechanic to get rt rear door module replaced, which still doesn't work. Before that, went out of state (2000+ miles,10days), weekender (another 500 mi) without one single hiccup. Now it seems this is just having a melt down. We wait 10 minutes to allow it to "reset" and that works pretty well sometimes. Just got stuck at store & had to remove battery cable, wait 10 minutes, replace & it started right up. I'm afraid to go anywhere in it now.

Question:
1) Did the mechanic screw this up somehow since it didn't miss a lick before he tore into it?
2) Will replacing the battery fix the problem? Date on the battery is only a year ago. Had it load tested and she said it was good.
3) Is this linked in any way to the bad rt rear door module...that still doesn't work the lock or window?

I truly appreciate all of the help, guys. I'm stuck and this is breaking my heart...and my wallet.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Default RE: XJ8 Won't start...won'

Monkamah, does the car always start the first time for the day, and then fail to restart when the engine is hot? Anyone know if a 2000 XJ8 was born with a starter heat shield? If the car was born with one and it is now missing, and as you live down south, and we have just went through the hottest part of the summer. Your starter and solenoid may be suffering from "heat soak" from the hot engine and cat. converter.

Joe
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Monkamah, if you have notalready done so, you should check the hot lead connections on the firewall. This is a well documented problem that can manifest itself in the exact same way you aredescribing your car's behavior. My experienced Jag mechanic replaced my battery because the car would notstart...then 3 weeks later, it wouldn't start again. I fixed the loose terminals on the firewall and am using that same battery today, 3 years later.

Makes me wonder if the original battery might still be working if I had merely tightened those connectors in the first place....

George

Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 AM

Thanks, George, and everyone. I gave that info to my (ex)mechanic and am supposing he checked it but I can't be sure. It's got to be something like that because this didn't start until he started monkeying around in there.

Would that possibly have anything to do with the back window/lock not working, as well? Is it not getting the proper juice or something?

I appreciate all of the input so much....thanks.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Gentlemen, half of my problem has been solved.

I printed out this thread and found a bright, openminded mechanic, (after lengthy phone interview to find out if he had brains) and presented this to him. Hechecked all of the above, did diagnositcs ($70), and found that 3 fuses, 10,15,25 amp had been blown ($4). Replaces them, reprogramed the rt rear module ($35)and I'm back in business. I drove home rolling my rt rear window up and down! :-)

He is checking for a technical bulletins for the transponder on that model to see if their might be one& see if the dealership will replace it for free. If not,will change the transponder in the steering column to fix the"random no starting" issue.He says it'san easy, cheapfix.

I took the car to him late morning, he called me early afternoon after it was fixed.

I'm extremely impressed with this guy.

Thank you all so much!