XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 (X308) door lock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ8 (X308) door lock question

My 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas. did Not come with a remote key fob that works (after messing with new batteries and remote programing - discovered the key fob although it looks identical to the XJ8 is actually for an S-type Anyone want to trade ?) But anyways on to the Door lock question ---whne I first got the car I could lock and unlock all doors (except the drivers side passenger door with either the door lock button on the dash OR the key in the drivers door) - the first several times I did this the doors would unlock and lock slowly. I figured they just needed to be used more because the car had been sitting in storage for 3 years. But now they have all stopped working (except the drivers door).
I did realize the other day they also never locked when the car was put into drive. Has anyone messed with these before ? is there a way to lubricate ? the door lock knobs funtion by hand so -it doesnt seem like any gears in the actuators are broken - can you take these actuators apart and maybe just replace the small motor ? could it be more a security module issue than an actuator ?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight

Oh side note will there be any problem just buying the correct remote key fob or 2 and self programing them ? or I know some cars need 1 remote because all other remotes will pair to the one working remote ?

Also how hard is it to get another working ignition key without going to a dealer (dealer price was $200 per key)

Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,807 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Review and try this first.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...please-160043/
For rebuilding them, (if needed), you can try...what do you have to lose? ...or perhaps you can scrounge some up here... Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ...I've found a few deals here and you may even find one local?
For fob programming, there are instructions here... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource ...and there are a few threads you can do a search for. That link also has your complete electrical diagrams, it will show up as a 1999... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1999.pdf
BTW Ed...what part of Western NY are you in?

Last edited by Highhorse; 09-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Edward_Woodward (09-11-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Highhorse
Thanks, in the older post you referenced - one of the members had a similiar issue and it was recommended to try a hard reset; and another person suggested checking the Number #2 15 amp fuse in the passengerside heelboard. It was dark and late so I decided to try the fuse first. It was burnt out - I replaced the fuse and now I have 3 of my 4 doors working. Funny thing is the guy in the original post had 2 doors that didn't work - but there was no follow up in that thread so not ure if the guy just lived with 2 out of 4 or solved it and didnt report back. I am still going to try the hard reset to see if that helps with the 4th door and if not start attacking that doors module, actuator etc

For anyone that might come across this thread in the future - the other issue is the key fob that came with my car was not the correct fob the number on the back of that fob was XR83-15k601AA After talking with a Jaguar dealer parts guy he suggested that number might be for an S-type Not an XJ8
another dealer said he thought an XJ fob would have a number like LJA2610AA and either 315 or 433 mghz (I was surprised that none of the 4 dealers I contacted could provide the fob with my VIN) Luckily an Ebay guy said he would send the 315mghz version and if it didn't work he would send a 433 - the 315 worked for me (I am in USA)

Now the only thing I don't have a definitive answer on is the keys - I have read several people that say it is absolutely a requirement to take the car to a dealer to have new keys added to the database in the car (no one but dealer can access this database) BUT I have also had a few very knowledgeable people tell me that a certified locksmith can get the necessaary transponder code from Jag and program a key without needing the car - In other words mail them a key and proof of ownership and get a working key ---- hmmm two polar opposite answers - I bet that won't happen much in the future with these cars

Old 09-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,807 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Thanks for the update Ed....for the keys, those were probably older posts when only a Jag dealer could only do them. Since, there has been a thread or 2 of locksmiths with the programmers to do such now. Thing is, I'm sure they were in Cali.

If you want to see the module that needs programmed, review this thread on the Flip Key Converstion... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ictures-93167/