XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 and XJR- Another engine option........

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ8 and XJR- Another engine option........

Guys

This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties and I thought you might be interested to see a project we have going here. Specifically, it's a 98 XJ8 sedan with Chevy LS1 power (all aluminum 5.7L V8). The car is now running and driving and we're working on final details for completion. The new drivetrain is approximately the same weight as the original (although it sits further back in the car), so handling is unchanged. The car's performance is greatly improved, to say the least.....

I've posted some pics and info in the photos section- have a look:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...p?albumid=1853

This project will ultimately result in a kit and parts for customers who would like to do a similar conversion on their cars. This would give customers the option to use any of the GM LS family of engines (4.8L to 6.0L) and a GM 4L60E (4 speed auto overdrive) trans in their XJ sedans.

Due to the very high cost of major repairs on the original Jag V8's and ZF transmissions, there has been a lot of interest out there in an option like this. While not for everyone, Jag owners who like the car, want increased performance, but with greatly reduced maintenance and repair costs, may find this option the way to go.

Thanks and if you have any questions, let me know

Andrew

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 10-17-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice!!

I currently have a 99xj8 with 2 dead cyl. Looking at options for engine swap.

Mark
Destin Fl

Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned
Default XJ8 Options.....

If you're looking for options, this is one

Give us a call some time during the week for more info

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
1 408 839 5569

Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Default mods needed to bolt in chevy engine?

What was needed to bolt in the chevy engine & trans.

I have found a 4.3 chevy v6 with 4L60e trans matched. Out of a blazer with all wiring harness computer etc..

What should I look for?

Not sure if I want to go to 6 cyl or wait and find v8.

Mark
Destin
99 xj8

Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by misham64
What was needed to bolt in the chevy engine & trans.

I have found a 4.3 chevy v6 with 4L60e trans matched. Out of a blazer with all wiring harness computer etc..

What should I look for?

Not sure if I want to go to 6 cyl or wait and find v8.

Mark
Destin
99 xj8

Don't get the 4.3L v6. Its very unrefined and slow compared to the Jag V8. It also sounds much worse. I had one in a rental blazer years ago and it was trash. Def would be out of place in a Jag.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM

I think another member on this forum is in the process of converting a 3.2L XJ8 into a chevy powered car.

Does the v8 engine feel as refined as the Jag engine? If someone who owns a XJR were to drive your car, would they be able to tell the difference? How does it sound inside and outside the car?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I would do this in the 96 XJ6 since its a slug but very reliable. I guess since youre doing a full swap with ecu itll still plug n play with OBDII and pass state inspection. But I noticed something missing on top of your LS engine......I cant quite place it.....oh yeah a Kenne Bell blower, now we're talking

Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
Don't get the 4.3L v6. Its very unrefined and slow compared to the Jag V8. It also sounds much worse. I had one in a rental blazer years ago and it was trash. Def would be out of place in a Jag.
I agree - I have a 99 Blazer with a 4.3 and the '3/4' 350 engine idles somewhat roughly, even when new, and is very underpowered. Would definitely not fit the Jag persona, IMO. (don't know if this is an LS issue or not...)

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned
Default 4.3 v6

Forget about using the V6 in the XJ8. The car is too heavy and that engine too small too make this worthwhile. And it wouldn't fit the chassis anyway.

If you're just trying to get the car back on the road cheaply, then your best bet is going out and finding a good used (Jag) engine to install. Conversions are a great way to go as well with better power and easier/less expensive maintenance, but they are not cheap up front. In the long run it will pay for itself, but it will cost you to get started....

Good luck

Andrew

Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned
Default How does it sound and feel

The Chevy LS family of engines are know for being very smooth compared to other earlier V8's, and they also rev much more like an OHC engine than OHV. In this installation, the LS1 is probably not quite as refined as the Jag V8 (we're running rubber engine isolators, not the hydraulic pieces like the stock Jag), but it is easily as smooth to the feel as most standard cars. From a Jaguar conversion point of view, it's the smoothest Chevy V8 powered Jag I've ever driven. We'll refine it further as we go, but the product so far is very respectable. As far as the sound, the entire rear stock rear exhaust system is still in place, and with the stock Chevy cats up front, the car is very quiet. There is a noticeable growl when you get on it though. I think any XJR owner driving this car would be very impressed- the performance is far in excess of what a standard XJR would be like....

Andrew

Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by the-jag-guy
The Chevy LS family of engines are know for being very smooth compared to other earlier V8's, and they also rev much more like an OHC engine than OHV. In this installation, the LS1 is probably not quite as refined as the Jag V8 (we're running rubber engine isolators, not the hydraulic pieces like the stock Jag), but it is easily as smooth to the feel as most standard cars. From a Jaguar conversion point of view, it's the smoothest Chevy V8 powered Jag I've ever driven. We'll refine it further as we go, but the product so far is very respectable. As far as the sound, the entire rear stock rear exhaust system is still in place, and with the stock Chevy cats up front, the car is very quiet. There is a noticeable growl when you get on it though. I think any XJR owner driving this car would be very impressed- the performance is far in excess of what a standard XJR would be like....

Andrew

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade (I gotta defend the Jag v8 for us Jag lovers) but are you sure its performance would would be in 'far excess' if a XJR? The XJR puts out 50hp more and has more torque than the '98 Z28 SS and 65 more hp than the base Z28. This combined with a 5 speed auto would make me think the XJR would be much faster. It would be faster than a XJ8 im sure.

I could be wrong though. I as I don't know nearly as much as Chevy engines compared to Jags.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Pull any ls6 out of an escalade, tahoe, etc and slap a set of headers on it and its 430 hp proven time and time again. I was just reading an article on them. I could slap a whipple super charger or kenne bell on a ls6 and have more streetable hp than the 580 in my race car(850hp) and itll idle like stock at 750rpm and totally reliable.
your talking about the the same hp normally aspirated as the jag v8 is supercharged. Plus there is anything you want avail from the chevy aftermarket if that power isnt enough for you.
I say a twin turbo ls6 and a 6 speed manual. You can use the clutch/brake pedal setup from an aston martin in the xk

Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Pull any ls6 out of an escalade, tahoe, etc and slap a set of headers on it and its 430 hp proven time and time again. I was just reading an article on them. I could slap a whipple super charger or kenne bell on a ls6 and have more streetable hp than the 580 in my race car(850hp) and itll idle like stock at 750rpm and totally reliable.
your talking about the the same hp normally aspirated as the jag v8 is supercharged. Plus there is anything you want avail from the chevy aftermarket if that power isnt enough for you.
I say a twin turbo ls6 and a 6 speed manual. You can use the clutch/brake pedal setup from an aston martin in the xk
I just have to defend the Jag V8 so we wont feel too bad about dealing with its reliabilty issues.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Drove a 2010 Camaro SS automatic. The automatic version has milder cams than the stick version. I can say that this angine is SMOOTH... Not only that, but it was "off" at idle, alot more hushed than my XK8. The power was awesome and very refined, it didn't feel very camaro at all...more AMG Mercedes.

To do a converion like this, I would go with the new LS3's.. Power everywhere!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Don't have that kind of budget here.

Was thinking VW flat 4 hahahah!!

May go with a chevy 350 carb. eliminate the computer issues.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 AM

I have a friend in town taht has a 428 cobra jet anyone know of a ford kit?

This thing would put out 450 HP, WIll the stock rear end handle it?

I'm not lookin to make a drag car out of this. I'm more leaning to something with hwy gears for quick passing. Let's say 50mph to 80mph. Get around slow folks in a hurry.

Wouldn't mind if it was quick at the light but not into real loud exhaust etc..

I bought the car for it's comfortable ride.

I can say it is pretty smooth sittin in my garage. Good on Gas also. HAHAHA!!
Mark
Destin Fl
99 XJ8 soon to be *******!!

Also looking for suggestions on License Plate Language.
Post possible and we'll see what's out there for Florida.

Thanks
Mark

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by the-jag-guy
If you're looking for options, this is one

Give us a call some time during the week for more info

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties
1 408 839 5569
Would like to here about costs?