XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8L transmission and rotary switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy XJ8L transmission and rotary switch issues

Hello jaguarforums, I am new to this site and I own a 98 XJ8L with 125k miles.

The transmission was jerking and slipping violently, so I searched for a 5HP24 unit and purchased one out of a 98 BMW 7 series I swapped the bellhousing and tail shaft unit and installed it.... I had to adapt the rotary switch to the driver's side since this transmission has slight differences... The rotary switch goes on the drivers side instead of the passenger side.

I filled it with fluid and now it's running in limp mode and giving me the code for transmission range sensor.... My J-gate is not illuminating.... It turns on fine in Park and in Neutral, so I must have the position of the switch right, but when I put it in reverse, There is a hard lurch and in drive, it runs in limp mode.... any suggestions? Thanks for the help

Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM

anyone?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Did you do this swap after talking to someone who has actually done this - or has some deep understanding of the transmission ?

With all the variations of this transmissions for all the different applications it was installed -- I would be shocked if this would work. When you look at the rebuilders sites they list different part numbers for different years?

Only someone who designed- or rebuilds this transmission can really help you.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Did you do this swap after talking to someone who has actually done this - or has some deep understanding of the transmission ?

With all the variations of this transmissions for all the different applications it was installed -- I would be shocked if this would work. When you look at the rebuilders sites they list different part numbers for different years?

Only someone who designed- or rebuilds this transmission can really help you.
Thanks for your response

I didn't.... I did research on the 5hp24 and saw that it was in many vehicles and for BMW it was very abundant and a lot cheaper.

It looks very similar and the electronic circular plug that goes to the back of the tranny fits fine and the transmission will shift fine without transmission fault (for a few minutes) if you keep the rotary switch in park and you reset the computer, so im pretty confident it will work...... hopefully

Im going to grab the old tranny and take measurements to see where all the parts are supposed to line up