XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR = Not a Snow Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XJR = Not a Snow Car

Man, almost put the car into a guard rail on the way home. On-ramp looked free of ice. But after a punch of throttle, I was pointed way in the wrong direction. Then after lifting the throttle it skidded me around in the other wrong direction. Very obnoxious for a big lux car...

Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Was traction control on or off? Plus I don't think it's advisable to "punch the throttle" in this car, in any weather conditions.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

It's an awesome snow car. I drove an XJR a couple winters up in western New York. With snow tires it was great; so much freaking fun.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For a rwd car it doesn't do too bad with snow tires. I feel more comfortable with the traction control off but to me it is more of a control issue. That said, I still prefer to ride the motorcycle in the white stuff but I can't haul skis on it.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

As far as RWD cars go the XJ's dynamics are better than many. All-season tires and the widespread introduction of FWD in the USA reduced the need for dedicated snows for many people in much of the country.

You can not safely drive an XJ mounted with summer tires with any ice or snow on the road. Mine will not even move onto my driveway. On the other hand with a set of blizzaks mounted on a set of OEM rims from an old XK8 I'm good to go in most conditions -- although I usually take my SUV when it snows.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

In my opinion, these cars have too much torque to be good in snow. Requires a really delicate touch on the throttle. I think that for RWD in snow, you need something really underpowered. A Crown Vic with traction control AND 300 lbs of sand in the trunk. Or (better still) an ancient Ford Falcon wagon, with 300 lbs of sand in the back.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,844 Posts

My guess is that you have all season or summer tires. NO RWD car is of much use with those.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

any car is good as long as it has good snow tires...i never had my xjr in snow, but my 85 XJ6 drives better than a front wheel drive car in the snow with snow tires on it...and she doesn't even have anti lock brakes...try to get just snow tires, screw the all season stuff...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I grew up driving in a decent amount of snow, and I have to say I was VERY impressed with the XJR's ability to handle itself. I've driven it in 1-6 inches of snow on many occasions now, WITHOUT special tires or chains, and it's every bit as good as any other rear wheel drive I've owned (MANY MANY). Of course you have to drive like you are in the snow or you will get stuck, spun around, but that's to be expected.

I'm running Standard GoodYear Eagle GT's all around (255/40R18 XL 99W BSW).

I enjoy driving without the Traction Control on, but when it is on, it's very impressive how well it works.

By the way, if you punch it in any car on ice, you will end up spun around.... Except maybe a prius. But especially the XJR! Too much power and 2 tons worth of inertia.

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Like I said, the ramp looked dry. I currently have summer tires. This snow/ice in Atlanta has been pretty bad. I guess my title should have been "XJR + Sumer Tires = Not good Snow Car."

Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by squish
Like I said, the ramp looked dry. I currently have summer tires. This snow/ice in Atlanta has been pretty bad. I guess my title should have been "XJR + Sumer Tires = Not good Snow Car."
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your driving abilities or judgement. I didn't mean to sound like that, but reading back, I probably came across that way.

I myself have almost wrecked on black ice in other cars. It happens before you realize what's going on. My last time was at 70 MPH on a bridge on a sunny 40 degree day in a tall 4x4 SUV. By the time I got across the bridge, I was all the way across both lanes, on the shoulder, and about 2 feet out of straight. If the bridge was any longer, I'd have gone into the rail, and possibly over the side. All I could do is pinch my cheeks tightly and hold the wheel straight.

I know better than to think bridges may not be frozen even when the road isn't, but a lapse in judgement on my part...

Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Supersport, you were luck friend , it could have been worse
Driving on snow , icy roads are always tricky whatever you drive you must be very warry , snow has no joke .
(History Channel , Ice Road Truckers )
I do have a winter mode on my tranny and I think your rides also should come with this , a driver said jags were a very good on the snow

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your driving abilities or judgement. I didn't mean to sound like that, but reading back, I probably came across that way.
No prob! We are all reasonable people here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

What are you doing driving on summer tires in the winter?!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Its not me I worry about in the snow, its other people! In the recent snowfall here in the UK I was shocked and angered at the number of people trying to drive as if there were no snow or driving too slowly and causing massive tailbacks. I also saw people spinning their wheels everywhere and getting no where and causing further delays. If that wasn't bad enough there were gimps in 4x4s thinking they could drive however they liked and would overtake and smash the ice and snow causing more mess on the already messed up roads!

And there was me picking my through all of that in my double decker bus and my Snow Cat Jaguar!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
What are you doing driving on summer tires in the winter?!
Look at his location. They get below freezing what 10 times a year?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XJR in the snow....LOL....that's what the Land Rover is for old boy!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM

I simply install All-Season tires on everything I drive. I don't believe I've ever driven with Snow Tires. But like I mentioned before, I grew up driving in some sort of snow/ice. It's second nature to let off, steer into slides, etc.

My father used to take us to Ski Resorts and let us spin around in the parking lots when they were closed to get us used to driving in slippery conditions. He started with us at around 7 years old, and I've done the same with all three of my daughters and my wife (She was 40 before she got her license - phobia of driving due to an accident when young). It makes a HUGE difference in their ability to correct a problem instinctively. I have them drive and I pull the e-brake without warning and have them correct it. After a few dozen times, you'd be amazed at how well they correct without thinking. I think it should be required for everyone to learn to drive on a slide pan (like highway patrol do) before they are let loose on the road, especially in snowy regions.
It doesn't usually get my blood pressure up when I start to slide unexpectedly, but I will admit, the slide at 70 MPH might have caused me to just a little.

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-18-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR = Not a Snow Car

Squish-not as fortunate as you. Without warning I was surprised by a 200 ft stretch of solid ice (white) county road with a slight curve to the left. This road descends slightly which added to the problem. It was one of those Aw S--t moments where you realize there is absolutely no traction. I was doing 20 mph or less. Totally unavoidable. So slid to the left, turned in to correct and back to the right and no control, hit a tree, bounced off, did a complete circle facing back to the direction I just came from and realizing I was going back into the tree line I moved as much to the center of the car as I could just in case the driver's side hit the tree it was headed for. Fortunately no impact on the side. Car is a mess. I'm blessed with no injuries but my feelings were hurt. My wife was inour Titan well ahead of me and I think the added height of the Titan enabled her to see it in time to slow and coast through where I was looking on a level playing field and had no sign whatsoever that I would be on ice. Road was clear for miles all around except this one spot that must be in the shade. This was at night. So if the insurance totals as they first said to me I am thinknig of XJR or STR. I have driven the STR but not the XJR.
Bill

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

What's all this snow stuff y'all are talking about?

Quick Reply: XJR = Not a Snow Car