XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR = Not a Snow Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
Look at his location. They get below freezing what 10 times a year?
Haha, Atlanta isn't as tropical as you might think!

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...=none&IATA=ATL

Even under 50 degrees, the performance of summer tires is severely diminished.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Haha, Atlanta isn't as tropical as you might think!

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...=none&IATA=ATL

Even under 50 degrees, the performance of summer tires is severely diminished.
Ah but the performance at 50 degrees for summer tires by far exceeds that of snows in non-snow conditions. Even at 20 degrees the day I changed over to my winter wheels I lost a solid 20 feet in dry braking compared to my nearly corded summer tires.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put weight in the trunk

In Ireland we don't have too much call for snow tyres (most years go by with no snow at all). However, when there is snow, it is highly effective to put a couple of sacks of sand in the trunk; this increases traction for the rear wheels. It really makes a difference.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by squish
Like I said, the ramp looked dry. I currently have summer tires. This snow/ice in Atlanta has been pretty bad. I guess my title should have been "XJR + Sumer Tires = Not good Snow Car."
I live in Atlanta. I also own a 03 XJR R1. I have some Mina Gallery sport mufflers for sale. I'm asking $250 for mufflers if you are interested. They are in excellent shape. Go to www.minagallery.com to see what they look like. Contact me at via_pa@yahoo.com if you have any other questions.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not a Snow Car

Of course nothing helps on ice-even iffy with chains. I just totaled an 02 VDP in January. Ice I did not could not see until I was on it at night. Roads were clear for miles but apparently this slight downhill is in the shade so didn't melt off. Just recently replaced the 02 with a very nice low mileage 04 XJ8. Even with snow tires on any of my cars I have always put some weight over the rear tires in the trunk. Like our Irish friend says it helps. Also if you were to become stuck you can always break open the sand bag(s) and put the sand under and around your tire(s) and drive out. Not a bad idea with the even with the best of snow tires on your car. Also not a bad idea to carry a small collapsible shovel in the trunk.
Another thing...I don't drive the Jag in the snow. I drive my truck now. Just happened on that particular night I could not drive the Titan as it was out of town with my wife. Biggest hurt was my feelings....I had not control solid ice for about 200 feet in both lanes. It was what I call one of thos Aw Sh-t moments where all you can do is hold on for the ride.
Bill

Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in northern Indiana, 7 miles from the Michigan line, and we get lots of snow. I put Dunlop winter sport tires on my 99 XJR and have had no problems. Of course, I drive sensibly in poor conditions.

The OP obviously was not expecting ice or he wouldn't have punched the throttle (I hope). Releasing the throttle in the middle of a curve will also give you nasty lift in the rear end and possibly put you out of control. Moral - be aware of weather conditions and always try to anticipate the unexpected.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine has seen limited snow driving, but it seems to not get stuck or free-spin in snowed over parking spots (and my previous RWD car did all the time)

Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Default My XJR does fine in Minneapolis in the winter.

I have a good set of snow wheels/ tires and my XJR does great in the winter. I did just have my ABS module rebuilt, and it was hell without traction control in the snow for a bit..

Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

What I thought of doing (should I end up going to a university in the north) is going on CL, and buying an old set of 16" wheels from an XJ6 or Vanden Plas, and then just putting those wheels on it for the winter (snow tyres for my 18"s are insane, they don't even seem to make them!--Too spensive) So I could have a set of winter wheels with no worries about curbing the hige wheels it has, and in the winter have better traction (and more fun on summer tyres).

Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Default 18's

Originally Posted by ianclements
What I thought of doing (should I end up going to a university in the north) is going on CL, and buying an old set of 16" wheels from an XJ6 or Vanden Plas, and then just putting those wheels on it for the winter (snow tyres for my 18"s are insane, they don't even seem to make them!--Too spensive) So I could have a set of winter wheels with no worries about curbing the hige wheels it has, and in the winter have better traction (and more fun on summer tyres).
Not sure if you have a XJR or XJ8, but if you have an XJR, you will not be able to go smaller than 18" because of the size of the front brakes (non-brembo)..
I was disappointed to find this out as in the past I have usually gone done a size or two for winter wheels and tires..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

About $8-900 for a decent set but they would last you all 4-5 years if you run 'em from Dec-March. That's what the cost of a week of school.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

As others have told you, your brakes won't fit with the smaller wheels. For the price of wheels for this car, you might just want to look at mounting and unmounting a good set of snow tires, or for the price of the insanely priced tires, just buy a beater car and drive it during the winter!

Of course, you could just pick a university in the south from your neck of the woods to So. Cal. and generally that should take care of it. I think Arizona and So. Cal. are the only sunbelt areas other than Southern Florida that didn't get snow this year!

BTW, great looking car you have there if I do say so myself!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4
Not sure if you have a XJR or XJ8, but if you have an XJR, you will not be able to go smaller than 18" because of the size of the front brakes (non-brembo)..
I was disappointed to find this out as in the past I have usually gone done a size or two for winter wheels and tires..
His signature says XJ8 Sport. Don't know if they have the bigger XJR brakes up front. Anyway, I'm sure you can fit 17" on the front of the XJR and 16" on the rear.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

XJR is totally NOT a snow car. every winter,I have hard time to just pull up my car to my driveway from street just the little ramp if I have an inch snow on the ground.

I spined 360 on NJ turnpike once on a snow day

this winter is even worse

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

It has very little to do with the car, and everything to do with the tires. Sure, with the P-zeros or other summer tire then it's pretty much impossible even in light snow.

With snow tires, my winter XJR was a tank in deep snow, never got stock and lots of fun.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Snow?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

The 16"s will fit on my car, its has got large brakes but I'm confident they are the same as the XJ8's brakes, so 16" will fit ok. And I found a nice set on orlando CL for like 200$. and those were on decent goodyear all-seasons (well, no such thing, but ok tread) and were from a Vanden Plas. Plus, in addition to them being narrower (ergo, better in snow) They are also not going to get curbed in an icy parking lot. And I'm fairly sure my brakes are XJ8 brakes, but they seem very large-maybe the sport got a brake upgrade. Oh and nice car yourself, MidlifeXJR-good choice of wheels and colour lol

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

The "beater" is my 1991 Sierra Ext. Cab Z71 with the 6.2 diesel with an old coach conversion leather bucket conversion. Even with a foot of snow on the ground I rarely have to use the 4x4. The biggest benefit is it keeps the salt off my good cars. I HATE road salt.

I named it Chuck Norris.

Name:  z71diesel1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 AM

"What's all this snow stuff y'all are talking about?"

Lock it up Florida boy!

Last edited by Superduty65; 02-16-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two issues with the XJR chassis are the extra-wide tires and the relatively non-compliant suspension system; both of these issues tends to give incredible dry grip but the chassis rarely hunts for traction.

I have 245/50-17 Dunlop winter tires on 17" XK8 wheels on my XJR and they are still too wide to cut through any amount of Canadian winter deeper than 3".

Solutions: maybe get even narrower tires with very deep tread. Tirerack recommends 225/55-17... SP Winter Sport 3D should do the trick next winter.

Last edited by lokuputha; 02-23-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: XJR = Not a Snow Car