XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR 100 Tires - recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR 100 Tires - recommendation

Just spent $$$ refinishing my BBS Montreal wheels and also had the stainless trim rings buffed. The wheels will now only be put on only for show events as I have a nice set of Coventry wheels on the car for daily use.

Would like a tire that protrudes out from the wheel to avoid curb rash, and since this is for occassional summer use do think I need to spend the money for the 'best' money can buy. There are no cheap tires in this size.

Any recommendations - size 225/35R 19

Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed.

I'm in the same position--looking for tires--and leaning toward Michelin A/S 3 or the Conti DWS. The Toyo R1s I have are awful.

Can you tell me where you had the wheels refinished? Are you pleased with the result?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I've got the 'cooking' XJR, so only have 18's, but here's my 2c...

I only looked at a few options when I bought my tyres. When I bought it, it had Continentals on it, unsure of what model, but I wasn't too happy with them, and wanted something 'better'.

There were only 3 high end options available to me, factory spec Pirelli P-Zero's, Goodyear Eagle F1's, and Michelin Pilot Sports (I believe). There were a few lesser options, Toyos, Bridgestones, Dunlops etc, but I didn't see the point in only doing half a job, so I wanted the best.

The Michelins were also ridiculously priced, so that ruled them out.
I had brand new P-Zero's on a previous (X300) XJR, and loved them, so that was a big tick in that box, however they were also either ridiculously priced, or I had to get them freighted from another city and find someone local to fit them. Even then, there was only a hundred bucks between the Pirellis and the Goodyears.
Ended up with the Goodyears as they were available locally with a reputable dealer.

They're good... but next time I'll pay the extra and go for the P-Zeros. I'm sure there really isn't much between them, but sometimes the mental aspect is just as important as the physical :P

(of course, this may all go out the window if I end up running my 19's or upgrade to 20's, because the Pirelli's get VERY expensive as you go up in size)

Old 02-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

You probabely need 255 35 19

I need a new set of Asymmetric tires too ,my choice would be Bridgestone Potenza,s or Pirelli P Zero with J or JRS marking {Jaguar certified} a beautiful set of wheel needs a good set of tires ..

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Default BBS refinishing

Will post pictures of the refinished wheels shortly. I am in Toronto so I found there were 3 recommended shops that in the area. I ended up going to the one my tire shop recommended as they sold and installed a huge variety of specialty wheels and on many exotic cars. I brought the wheels in and they quoted me a price of $800 plus an extra $100 to have the stainless ring buffed up. ($900 all in). Instead of two weeks for the job it took 4 months and I am still not sure why. In the end the results were worth the wait. They indicated that the wheels were stripped, repainted, clear coated and baked. Trim was buffed. They indicated that they could not match the colour in a powdercoat. So in the end not sure whether I should have shopped around more to get them owdercoated. Also - while there, a guy picked up a 20" 1-piece wheel from a Tesla and it looked like a nice refinishing job for $175.

If the BBS was a 1-piece - the price would have less.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

As these would be fair weather tires for you that won't be used often, I'd go with the Bridgestone RE-11. Ridiculous amounts of grip, not a bad price even in large sizes, lots of lip protection overhang. For a 19 x 8.5 wheel, I'd go with a 255/35/19 or a 265/35/19. These sizes will square up nicely over an 8.5 wheel for better lip protection than a narrower tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLV2&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLV2&tab=Sizes

Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 1,074 Posts

These exact boots...I guess easily found where you are.....
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 255/35 R19 96 Y, ZR XL, MO1 » Oponeo.co.uk

I've ran mine on Michelin PS2's and 3's then I switched to Potenza RE050A it has a rim protector. MO fitting is Mercedes and BBS go together perfectly.

Dry grip is as good as a Pzero shod car with less noise. They sit without flatspots - this to me means a well designed tire. A plush ride on the lower pressure setting, if you put sport pressures in you can really tell, compared to the Michelin's.

The Y96 the Y is 186mph and the 96 is load capacity - they're OEM on the Ferrari Enzo....

Nuff Said...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by katana man
Will post pictures of the refinished wheels shortly. I am in Toronto so I found there were 3 recommended shops that in the area. I ended up going to the one my tire shop recommended as they sold and installed a huge variety of specialty wheels and on many exotic cars. I brought the wheels in and they quoted me a price of $800 plus an extra $100 to have the stainless ring buffed up. ($900 all in). Instead of two weeks for the job it took 4 months and I am still not sure why. In the end the results were worth the wait. They indicated that the wheels were stripped, repainted, clear coated and baked. Trim was buffed. They indicated that they could not match the colour in a powdercoat. So in the end not sure whether I should have shopped around more to get them owdercoated. Also - while there, a guy picked up a 20" 1-piece wheel from a Tesla and it looked like a nice refinishing job for $175.

If the BBS was a 1-piece - the price would have less.

Mine are also at the shop,

I think painting them wil make it easier to get the exact color match paint from BBS .
Luckely you can have the stainless steel rings polished.

If they were lucky when taking the wheels apart ,they dont have any broken titanium bolt,s ,i have 6 bolts broke in my wheels and its difficult to drill them out ...

My wheels are powder coated by the former owner, but it doesn,t look that nice Like a spray painted wheel with clear laquar ,and they also took of the stainless steel rings on mine...

It will cost me allot to get the 19" Stainless rings and restore the wheels like new
They now have made a very limited batch after-market 19" stainless steel polished rings specially for the XJR 100 in the UK ,
To restore this very rare XJR100 19" BBS .

Last edited by DJ-Roy; 02-15-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Look forward to seeing pictures, KatanaMan. Also curious to know whether you found someone who had worked on these two-piece wheels before. Did you have them disassembled?

Anyone tried having the minor dings in the trim rings worked out and polished?

Having been burned in the past, I'm probably too careful about who I send these wheels to.

Also, where are you guys getting replacement Ti bolts and other parts?

Cab

Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrachian
Also, where are you guys getting replacement Ti bolts and other parts?
I've had this link for BBS parts for a while. SB Wheels
I've never used them or contact them so I can't give any recommendation. They're not exactly local.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Default BBS Montreal

Here are some pics. The wheels were OK but the finish was flaking off on all 4 wheels, There was also road rash on the trim rings. The wheels were taken apart and redone. It was extra to have the trim rings buffed up. All my Ti bolts were in good condition.

Attached Thumbnails XJR 100 Tires - recommendation-img_2195-comp.jpg   XJR 100 Tires - recommendation-img_2197-comp.jpg   XJR 100 Tires - recommendation-img_2198-comp.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Those are inspirational. Fabulous! Did they paint the bolts or something? Mine aren't in bad shape, but they are dull.

I heard back from a local restorer recommended by the Jaguar store, and he says he has done these before and doesn't foresee any problems with the disassembly process. Does anyone know if there is a gasket or some sort of seal between the wheel center and outer barrel?

Cab

Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by katana man
Here are some pics. The wheels were OK but the finish was flaking off on all 4 wheels, There was also road rash on the trim rings. The wheels were taken apart and redone. It was extra to have the trim rings buffed up. All my Ti bolts were in good condition.

They look amazing!!