XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR 100 wheel and caliper refinish

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Glad you like it@Addicted2boost

Quick mock up. I need to buy new rear tires before i button it all back up.

Questions-
Do the new trim rings needs some type of adhesive? If so, what kind?
Any precautions I should tell Discount tire when mounting new tires, so they damage the wheel trims?
Blue loctite on the wheel bolts? How much loctite? Like, just a dab of it? What part of the threads do I put the loctite on?
Sorry for the dumb questions

Old 01-22-2022, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 812 Posts

Not dumb questions at all!

When I put the trim rings on, I was wanting to know the same thing about any adhesive. So I put the trim ring on the wheel and installed the spider and torqued the spider on. To me the ring felt very secure and there no gaps. I felt there was no need to use any adhesive on the trim rings.

I know that the scary part was letting someone else install the tires with the trim rings in place. To some, this might seem a bit excessive. This is what I did and I had no issues at all.

1) Give them the barrels only. Tell them to use the plastic covers that hold the wheel to the machine.
2) Have them install the tires and give them back to you.
3) Install the trim rings and torque down the spiders.
4) After you’ve torqued down the spline bolts, put the air fill valve adapter on and give them that one wheel.
5) When they’re done filling it with air and balancing the tire, get the wheel from them and do the same for the others.
Finding out if they have a road force balancer first is a bonus.

I also used Loctite blue. 1-2 drops should be sufficient.

I would put a drop in the middle of the bolt and one at the bottom of the bolt where it first starts to thread into the barrel.

I’m not a gold trim kinda guy but, just the spline bolts being gold is a beautiful and subtle touch to those machined wheels along with a new red center cap is just amazing. Tell me, did you get the air valve that goes in thru the spider and the flathead cover gold plated as well?

The following 2 users liked this post by Addicted2boost:
Bonexjr100 (01-25-2022), Z07Brandon (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it! I do like gold spline bolts on some cars/wheels. To me, I really liked the idea of them on these wheels and car. In person, it only verified my vision lol. Sadly, I couldn't find any gold plated air valves. It looks like my only choice is to spray them in a gold that matches and clear them.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I know there’s gold plating services out there. Back in the mid to late 90’s (when it was more popular) there were guys who would come to the dealership where I worked and plated them. I’m sure there’s someone locally in “ten gallon hat” land where you live that could do do it.

Did you get a torque spec for those spline bolts from SB? I don’t remember what I was told from him. I know it was in inch pounds though.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 01-23-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gold bolts on the XJR100 wheels.

Wow! Those pics of the gold bolts on the Montreal wheels look awesome! Great upgrade idea. My Montreal wheels are in great shape so far after replacing my faded red center caps with ones from my Jag dealer for about $25 apiece. Steep, but worth it, a much deeper red and thicker plastic than the other China caps and they fit tighter too. If I changed my bolts out for gold ones, I think I would have to paint or powder coat my calipers in gold too! A nice look for a triple black car! Anyone use gold on their calipers? If so, what color lettering?

The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I know there’s gold plating services out there. Back in the mid to late 90’s (when it was more popular) there were guys who would come to the dealership where I worked and plated them. I’m sure there’s someone locally in “ten gallon hat” land where you live that could do do it.

Did you get a torque spec for those spline bolts from SB? I don’t remember what I was told from him. I know it was in inch pounds though.
I'll ask around for the gold plating. He didn't give torque specs. But I'll look at the instructions he gave.
Originally Posted by Bonexjr100
Wow! Those pics of the gold bolts on the Montreal wheels look awesome! Great upgrade idea. My Montreal wheels are in great shape so far after replacing my faded red center caps with ones from my Jag dealer for about $25 apiece. Steep, but worth it, a much deeper red and thicker plastic than the other China caps and they fit tighter too. If I changed my bolts out for gold ones, I think I would have to paint or powder coat my calipers in gold too! A nice look for a triple black car! Anyone use gold on their calipers? If so, what color lettering?
Thank you! Shoot, $25 a piece? I think I spent close to $200 for my center caps. Which are oem.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I bought mine in 2017, so 5 yrs ago. They were in the parts Dept. Accessory cabinet on display, so I grabbed them up. Add a few years of Jag inflation and wallah, we're at $200! They were 10 times better than e-bay caps which looked cheap and faded.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rear tires need replacing. So I bought Michelin PS4S yesterday at Discount Tire. They should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Today, I ceramic coated the centers. Also polished the barrels. So the coating can stick better to the barrel.

Not a fan of ceramic coating on the body paint-I like using a fine wax instead. But for stuff like wheels and brake calipers, I'm for the ceramic coating. Also, whatever will help cleaning the spline drive bolts and that part of the wheels.

Pic 2 shows the after of polishing the barrel, the right side.

Never showed the backside of the wheel, so there it is. No one will see it but me when I take the wheels off. But it does look good lol.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

@Addicted2boost The instructions Steve from SB gave said 15nm. So that is what I torqued them to.

I didn't like how the new ring fit where the air bolt goes. See pic below. Tomorrow, I'll finish the other two. If the same, I'll probably cut a small piece off the trim.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

I appreciate that!

I bet if you start over by putting the ring on the barrel, rest the spider on top of the ring and then just barely start all the bolts including the air valve, it’ll all come together as you tighten the bolts?? Either that or the amount of clear on the outer lip of the barrel is so thick that it wants to squish it in?? Just some ideas.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I refurbed my wheels I sealed the beauty rings with clear silicone adhesive from a caulk-like tube. I actually sealed it in the back of the wheel too as I had a lot of lime build-up under the rings and wanted to prevent water from getting in. I think you've seen my thread: BBS Montreal Wheel Paint - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum from previous. Great to see the same wheels with such a different, yet stylish look.

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2022, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

There isn't a paint/clear on the barrel. I polished lips on the barrels, but bought the trim rings cause the barrels were lacking shine.

That is basically what I did. I'll recheck the torque just to be sure.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

So you did have the air valve in it when you went to torque the spiders down and you pulled it back out?? Or did I misunderstand that?

Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

I ended up having to cut a piece of the trim rings off.
I had just finished yesterday, and it starts raining with snow/ice forecasted shortly after. Currently, the roads are trash.
So hopefully this Sunday, I'll have pics of them on the car.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next up. Re-dye the red stitching on your seat and console trims. :-D

Old 02-04-2022, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by erick_151
When I refurbed my wheels I sealed the beauty rings with clear silicone adhesive from a caulk-like tube. I actually sealed it in the back of the wheel too as I had a lot of lime build-up under the rings and wanted to prevent water from getting in. I think you've seen my thread: BBS Montreal Wheel Paint - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum from previous. Great to see the same wheels with such a different, yet stylish look.

Cheers!
Interesting. I never noticed signs of water getting in. But if I do, I'll take the rings off and seal them. SB wheels and Addicted2boost are correct about them being secure with the center on top. But yeah, if I notice the water-i'll seal them. Thanks for that tip! Also, thanks for the compliment on the wheels!
Originally Posted by erick_151
Next up. Re-dye the red stitching on your seat and console trims. :-D
Driver seat and center console for sure! But hell, my 96 lt4 vette and 92 zr-1 need some $$attention as well.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely blown away how much I was able to improve the calipers. Without getting them refinished. Anyways, they are now on the car. We did get a moderate amount of snow last Thursday. And the roads are salty, but seem to be clearing up quickly. Not sure anyone cares, with how many pics I keep posting, but I'll post pics of them on the car this weekend. Long as there is no salt.

someguywithajag (02-08-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Cleaned her up, took some pics. Dam I forgot how quick this car is. Love this thing.

Big shoutout to everyone who helped. Also, big thanks to @Addicted2boost for his help!

Addicted2boost (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Looks awesome!!

Z07Brandon (02-13-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Have some free time on my hands this week. I'm going to paint the air bolts in gold. Can I just free all the air out of the tire, and remove the air bolt? Or do I have to loosen all the other bolts as well?

the circled bolt is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Z07Brandon; 08-15-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: XJR 100 wheel and caliper refinish