XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR 100 wheel damage inquiry.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Highhorse. I would like to ask your opinion on tyres? Not sure what's on, I can't quite make it out from the pictures. I know there's lots on the Forum about recommended tyres, but very little re tyres for these wheels! I don't like too low a profile (pipe & slippers car) but, I equally don't wish to spoil the look of either of the Wheels/Car. The car now has a full set of panels stripped to bare metal, etch primed and primed for paint, they are getting a professional coating done in July. When the car is newly painted, I would like to finalize all my work by fitting the wheels and new tyres.

Must say, I've been searching around and some of the pictures of these wheels are brilliant, I can now see why they're so sort after (Maybe I should get another set, refurb them, then sell on?...lol)
Paul

Old 05-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

You don't want to go too low or you'll get 2 issues, one is a rougher ride, the other is more potential for rim damage on pot hole ridden roads or harsh speed bumps (as I stated about the guy with the Hummer). A 45-55 sidewall (I have 45) is a compliment to both low profile and smooth ride, absolutely don't go any lower. The 45 or 55 will also compliment those wheels with a low profile, but not too low that they don't absorb the road obstacles.

The ones on those rims look a size too small (they should square with the wheel) and a brand with the name Ecomax doesn't really sound respectable (its ironic its the same tire position on each rim?). I like Michelin's, I have the Pilot Super Sports on now and love them. This is the 2nd application of them. I tried a set of Goodyear Eagles in between and was massively disappointed, what crap tires. They rode hard and I had her sideways a couple times in wet weather coming around corners. I have not had that issue with the SS's and they ride nicely to my liking. I know King Charles had just put a set of Michelin AS 3+ on his and likes them. I was going to get those, but there was a 12 week wait, so I bit the bullet and paid a few dollars more for these.

You may want to consult with your local dealer for how you drive and the conditions in your area (and cost). Here in Florida our roads are pretty nice, I can roll her over a 100 without fear of hitting a pothole. I just have to be aware of the constable...

Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks Highhorse. I thought the same when I first looked at them, the tyres fitted don't even look wide enough, let alone deep enough? There's also damage, but that's cosmetic and can be changed.

Think I will go with the 55's, I have never had the car over 80, it's 'only' a 3.2 NA so I don't push it too far, it's nothing like the 4.0 and definitely not anywhere near the 4.0 Supercharged!

Thanks very much for the advice.
Paul

Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,076 Likes on 829 Posts

Be aware when changing tire size that you increase the risk of the tires rubbing on the wheel arch liners and/or speedometer inaccuracies.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Regarding the trim ring replacements, look for SB Wheels, they're around £100 each. You may also need valve bodies or at the very least the O rings.
Heat cut and pull the old off, clean up the rim and stick them on with Sikoflex.

The spider bolts are loctite - so a waft with a heat torch should make removal easier - Ribe bit M8 tool, 1/2" for more torque.

Having run these wheels for over 10 years you need to fit 355/55. Bridgestone over Michelin for me personally, last longer, less noise and grip well.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

^355/55 WRONG^ I blame my phone for this! it's actually 255x35x19" the tyre I prefer is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Michelin Pilot Sport 2's aren't bad either.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay, let me jump in on this: I'm running 255/35/19 Pilot A/S+3s all around. When turning, it often feels like the wheels are "slipping" or are toed way too far in (on the alignment) and that the car is going to "fall over on itself." I have had the alignment done 6(!) times in the last 3 years - it is spot on - and all of my front-end components are tight. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Cheers,

David

Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

How hard are you cornering, do you have your Sport suspension activated? Have you checked your swaybar bushings and mounting points? Your bushings may look ok, but in actuality may be mush....in any case, they are a cheap and easy replacement.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

@ David - the key items to check over are the front subframe bushes at the top and rear, it shouldn't be the wheels slipping but possibly the subframe shifting, unless you're turning in under braking?
Also check the upper and lower shock bushes.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the quick responses as always gents! Sorry to highjack the thread a little bit here as well - Always felt it was related to the tires/wheels/front-end somehow!

I'm not talking about cornering at speed, I'm talking about basically doing high-degree turns at low speed, such as 10-15km/h and lower in a parking lot, when turning onto the road, etc.. When @Sean B suggested the subframe shifting - If I could imagine what that would feel like, subframe shifting seems quite plausible. I've already changed the shock bushings, but haven't looked at the subframe bushings at all.

@Highhorse - Sway bars/links/bushings are good - Although I assume your response was generally directed towards issues I could be having at speed.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I was pertaining to speeds where the sway bar would have applied torque. So your reply eliminates that aspect.

Not to try to muddy the water more, but when I first got my girl 15 yrs ago, I had a bad wheel bearing for about 6 months...unbeknownst to me because it rolled fine. At least until I took a sharp turn in a parking lot one day and heard a clunk and what felt like my wheel wanting to jet off in another direction. I really had to work the hub, but finally got it to wiggle and found I had a cracked bearing race. With the weight of the car on it, it seemed fine and even on a jack stand it took a bit to decipher.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Yes, I was pertaining to speeds where the sway bar would have applied torque. So your reply eliminates that aspect.

Not to try to muddy the water more, but when I first got my girl 15 yrs ago, I had a bad wheel bearing for about 6 months...unbeknownst to me because it rolled fine. At least until I took a sharp turn in a parking lot one day and heard a clunk and what felt like my wheel wanting to jet off in another direction. I really had to work the hub, but finally got it to wiggle and found I had a cracked bearing race. With the weight of the car on it, it seemed fine and even on a jack stand it took a bit to decipher.
Okay, so there's something to consider. I've replaced both front bearings, but I know the RF hub is not in perfect condition. Might be worth checking that race in addition to the subframe bushings. Thanks for the heads-up on that one, mate!

Old 10-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KidRock'n
Okay, let me jump in on this: I'm running 255/35/19 Pilot A/S+3s all around. When turning, it often feels like the wheels are "slipping" or are toed way too far in (on the alignment) and that the car is going to "fall over on itself." I have had the alignment done 6(!) times in the last 3 years - it is spot on - and all of my front-end components are tight. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Cheers,

David
sounds “marmite”

Old 10-22-2020, 07:47 AM

It's been some time since this post was started. The best people to ask (not there has been 'bad' advice from anyone else) are Highhorse, Sean B, and ericjansen. I I said a while ago, I got a set of 5 BBS 19" wheels very cheap and had them completely refurbished. When it came to tires I did some research but, I miss-read a post by ericjansen on sizes of tire. I had fitted Pirelli 255x45x19, Ericjansen pointed out where I had miss-read, so I tried to fit the wheels. They went on, but only left a ½" at the front and back of each wheel and the wheel-arch, when you turned the steering the tires touched the wing/fender.

I was again fortunate when the tire shop agreed to change them for the 255x35x19 (these were cheaper than the 255x45's so I got a refund... bonus!). The 255x35x19 fill out the wheel-arch very nicely, they look amazing...

If anyone is wonder about which tires and what size, my advice is to keep searching the Forum for the posts from those listed above. You will find a plethora of owners that recommend their particular choice, that's their personal prerogative. But, as pointed out to me, there's only certain combinations of wheel and tire sizes that will maintain the overall diameter to keep the speedometer correct, and not catch the arches every time you turn. I can't imagine Jaguar would fit a wheel and tire that doesn't grip the road as it's supposed to?.
Paul