XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR 99' restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbilt25
I really like the wood trim color. Where can I get that? I'm not digging the light color on mine anymore.
I think it is standart wood for EU xjr-s. called maple eye bird. There are a few sets on eBay for cheap but for wrong cars with oposite side steering wheel - for right handed cars ))))
I saw them on UK eBay for £100. Anyway i think ski slope and door trims will work on left handed.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My compliments. A job well done!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 AM

Some updates. Get a new spare ski slope dash veneer board birds eye maple.

Bought a new open trunk button.

And send for the restoration door wood to the Ukraine but from last news i can feel that i will never get it back

Try to wash the engine and drive the Jag to the garage.

Now it is better but doesn't look best. I few more washes will make it shine.
In the Garage said guys to replace tail lamps. I have restored the right lamp with crack so they will put this one till a new one is shipping from the UK.
And said them to make everything look clean under the hood. Replace some tubes (it can be seen there are some repares from previous owner). To put bolts what are missing.
To check the air conditioning because it looks like it doen't work well.
And to replace all suspension bushes and make wheel alighment.

Also gets a new climate control

After some time i'd come to check the car. New lamps installed.

Somewhere put cables inside the wire.

Cables what left will be done when hoses will be replacing. Supercharger will be teking off so it would be space to do this everything.

And also asked them to put original clamps on the hoses but i can't find them anyware in stock. And also jagclassicparts and sngbarratt are telling they are no longer availible.

I need tose ones.

Tey said there must be some caps on the dampers. I will oreder this also.

This is temperature sensor inside the cabin motor what caused the problems with airconditioning. On cable was cuted off. Looks like it has a shortcut inside so they just cut off to solve it. Put a new one there and now everything works fine.

And then i out my hands inside the car to replace the climate panel.
Old one.

All the holders were totaly cracked and glued with some ****.

Scratched button.

Those lamps in the climate is real horror. Really tired replacing them.

But now everyhing looks great!

Also V8 badges nust be replaced with a new one.Так же сказал, чтобы поменяли значки V8 по бокам.

The iPod interface what i bought on dicsountstereo.com i get wrong. I haven't got amplifier so i ordered the set for stereo without amplifier. And i get the set for stereo with ampilifier. The difference between them them is just in the place where you must plug it in. With usual stereo you must plug it in to the back of the stereo, with amplifier in to the back of the CD changer. The problem when you are pluging it to the changer is tjat you must pull the cable along all car.

And the biggest problem is rear right wheel alighment. Rear left is -47 minutes, the right rear is -6 minutes. I asked why it is like it is but didn't get any answer. I now that there are spacers on the half shafts with what you can do alighment but guys in the garage said there is now any spacer. They said me not ot be worried because everything is in the limit but it doen't suit to me so i asked them to find the problem.

[/quote]

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-%24-kgrhqz-p-fbd-97mqzbqqbgu0mvq%7E%7E60_12.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-%24-kgrhqr-k4e1f-vjvcobnf48qkd2g%7E%7E_12.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
b7uce (09-12-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 AM

Next day i seat to investigate how i can fix the ipod adapter to make it plug in to the back of the radio.

I draw some quick drawing of the pinout and see how it can be easily be modified.

Next day i had resolder the connactor and went to the garage to test it.

In the garage guys show me the will aligment data and i like them very much! This is intermediate data and after replacing all the bushes i'm sure everything would be fine.
With the right rear wheels problem was in the spacer. They haven't seen it for the first time because of the rust and dirt but it is good that they find it. The spacer was 6.5 mm. The spacer 6.0 what i want i can't find anyware in stock in Russia so i oredered it from SNGBarratt.

Gets a new treadplates inserts, new bolts. new foam pads. New treadplates i can't find anyware.

Ordered all the hoses under bonnet.

Plug the adapter to check if i soldered everything right and the music starts playing!

So i pull al the cables to the telephone holder.

Guys take off all the treadplates for the restoration.

And i take off illumination selector module to try to restore шею I gad one idea how it can be done. And if it won't go i will buy a new one.

To try to restore it i must do the drawing in the CorelDraw. I get the pencil and the paper. Then i suppose to scan it and make the cdr from it.

But then i realized why not to scan to hole piece of the plastic. And i did it like this.

Picture put in to the CoralDraw and made cdr file from it.

Then i get allready restored treadplates. Looks very good but i will put it on the car after the seats and the ceiling gets a new leather and lining to prevent to scratch it again.
They were like this.

And this is what i get after.

Claen all the side plugs.

Tryied new foam pads.

And new insert.
[/quote]

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-se6349b.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-se6348a.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-se6347c.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-sb6382b.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-sk6370a.jpg  

XJR 99' restoration-se6350a.jpg  
Rlover (05-28-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 03:00 AM

Then i left selector modul for the restoration but when i get back to see how it looks like now i was shocked. Some people doesn't understand at all what other whants from them. The idea was to grind all the ink, then put a white 3M film and then black 3m film with cuted like i did in cdr file. But they said white film will not pass the light through so we decided not to grind and just place on top cutted black matt 3M film. And get rubber insert to put a new this fluffy coating. When i get back and saw what the've done i decided to order a new one. Instead of black matt film the put black polished aluminium film.

And then i get my rubber back. For my question why the put coating just on the top of the rubber i get the answer that the glue what are they using for the coating is not so good as are using on the factories that is why they put it just on top. Some russian are so stupid.
On the beggining it look like this.

Part was missing.

I make a small insert and i thought it will be coated.

Anyway restoration can be done easy but i have not time to spend it on so small thing so that day i ordered a new one from sngbarratt. They are selling it with GBP50 surcharge.

And then i get back to the garage to put this nodule back for some time till my new module and check how Jag fills.
All the suspension is take to pieces.

Guys find a new holders for the radio and climate control.

They have also some holders cracked but anyway much better than mine. I decided to strengthen them. Cut the pieces 1mm thick from polyethylene and glued them. I shoose polyethylene because it's flexible. As i understand it was cracking because plastic is very dry.

And i get pretty solid and flexible construction.

And ordered all the lamps to the climate.

Сюда их нужно:
LNA5180DA - 5 шт
LNA5180EA - 1 шт
JLM20308 - 7 шт
JLM11965 - 2 шт
JLM20309 - 1 шт

Then guys from the garage were e-mailing mу photos. They found that that under the Vee mount there is a lot of rust.

From the oposite side it looks better but still not the best.

So i asked them to repair this everthing.

It is very good that the holes for Vee mount bolts stays on the same place so everything will be fine with wheel aligment.
And then i get photos of my rear antiroll bar. Complete rusty.

Replaced with a new one. They painted it again so it looks like new.

And i bought used illumination module on ebay and ship it to the sngbarratt to get surcharge amount back but till that time no answer from them. Looks like they do not want to make me refund.

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-sn6404a.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-tk6119.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 AM

Gets a new fuel pumps.

New rear right window.

New open trunk button.

New Motorola StarTak phone.

New cantral ski slope dash.

And take it everything to the garage. Guys show me how they repare everything under the Vee mount.

New antiroll bar.

This is all what must be done. It is in russian but you can see the part numbers on the left.

And also replace rear sub frame. My was rusty.

This is a new one.

And also decided to buy a new battery because my is for 80ams. Nobody knows wich one i need. Catalog shows 72 ams and 92 ams. From my VIN i see that i need 92ams but there is still choisce between wet and dry. Here on the forum found the right one.

And orderes VARTA Black Dynamic 90ams.

Gets a new sidemarkers.

Finaly find a right gear knob in dark wood bird eye maple (right one).

Bought a new right tail lamp.

And bought a new caps for the dampers
[/quote]

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-%24-kgrhqj-rofiqf1ufsmbsl4q1v-9g%7E%7E60_12.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-%24_12.jpg   XJR 99' restoration-%24-kgrhqfhjbufhj4y9bd3br3ev0voig%7E%7E60_57.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 AM

And yesterday drive the car out of te garage with complete new suspension.
Driving now is unbeliviable! So soft.

Wheel aligment excellent! Just right rear wheel not. Still waiting for the spacer from UK.

Rear window replaced.

V8 badges replaced.

Trunk button.

Selector module looks not so bad but will be replaced when new will arrive.
http://rostman.users.photofile.ru/ph.../213121557.jpg

Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Fantastic

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

New under bonnet tool set take a place.

New side blinkers.

New Motorola StarTac 130 Jaguar.

Bought iPopd Nano 6G 16Gb for direct music streaming.

New valve caps.

And went to the car wash to clean thу engine.

Said guys to take tooyhbrushes and make it clean 100%.

Tail pipes also.

And we get this beauty.

Then i bought new brake hoses.

And asked guys to give me used hose clamps. I can't find it anywhere new so bought used. Rust will gone and they will be resprayed.

This one not OEM hose clamp will be replaced.

Bought a set of new Koni classic shocks. I also ordered OEM dampers with CATS from SNG Barratt but they will arrive in one month. I will go to the UK in a few weeks so i decided to buy a set o Koni to get there in comfort.
Colour is not to good IMHO. If they are classics it is better to do them black.

But i really like this sticker)

There wasn't any manual inside the box what is best set up for X308 so i went to Konis' web to read the FAQ. I find there that most setups are set to soft. If you want it more bouncy you gone to chosse middle settings. The most firm settings are mostly not used. So i decided to put it into the softest settings.

Finally get a right gear selector knob.

Few days ago i first time pressed "S" button next to the gear selector. Damn this car can be quick! I've never touch it but it really makes the car pretty different!

And bought Alpine KTP-445 amplifier for OEM systems because my car has aftermarket woofers and OEM radio power wasn't enough to make it play good.

You just need to cut the OEM wiring and put it in. It has RMS 45Ohm per channel. Find the wiring diagram on the internet and what letter matches what colour.

He is so small)

Meassure the dimensions of the Jaguar sign on spark plug cover to order a new one.

And went with the car to the leather upholstery to replace seat leather and headliner lining.

Car looks amazing! When you see just some part of the car you must come closer to see it all.

Finally rear right tail lamp arrived without any cracks. And also CATS damper caps.

Few days later pick up car from the leather upholstery. Looks very good now.

Headliner

Also parking brake leather was replaced.

New gear knob installed.

I prepare the amplifier wiring at home to make installation easier.

I discovered that right front speaker wasn't working and i find that negative cable disconect from the speaker. Put it on and everything starts playing.
Then installed amplifier. It is small but anyway it is very hard to find a place for him under the dash because there is now any place here.

Put a new holdeк frames on the radio and climate control unit.

Rear speakers weren't OEM allready but if i bought a new one those must be replaced too

And then new Jaguar sign arrived.

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-alpine_ktp-445.jpg  
b7uce (09-12-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow

Old 05-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Love it man! Keep this going!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 894 Likes on 732 Posts

I thought I was **** . . .

Beautiful work. Especially headliner and seating. In USD, what has this cost you?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I thought I was **** . . .

Beautiful work. Especially headliner and seating. In USD, what has this cost you?
Aprox $1800. Pretty cheap in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 AM

Yesterday picked up the car from the garage where was done this:
All the shocks were replaced with Koni. Now car rides like never before. It looks like that somebody replaced the car))
Old ones Kyb were totaly dead so they gone in the trash.

New tail light was installed

Battery clamp was repaired. It can't be tigреут so we replaced the bolt.

Hose clamps were resprayed in installed on place

New tread plates with new bolts foam and inserts

New Jaguar sign

And damper caps installed but i removed it till dampers with CATS will arrive

Lookig for some chemicals to make black plastic under bonnet looks like new. Find this Sonax. Ordered and get it in a few days.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Rostman
Lookig for some chemicals to make black plastic under bonnet looks like new. Find this Sonax. Ordered and get it in a few days.
Great work Rostman!
I was about to recommend you the SONAX stuff after I saw some of your plastics in the engine bay.
I used it as well, results are not bad and it seems to last.
Just a bit difficult to get it done without smears on the overlapping strokes.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Great work Rostman!
I was about to recommend you the SONAX stuff after I saw some of your plastics in the engine bay.
I used it as well, results are not bad and it seems to last.
Just a bit difficult to get it done without smears on the overlapping strokes.
Is it like a paint? I have a white marks on some plastic so i'm wonder if it will helps.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow. This makes me feel a bit sad about all of the little defects on my car!

Looks like you've done a great job with the stereo too. With the Ipod adaptor, what do you select on the stereo to chose the Ipod? I had a quick look at the adaptor you cut up, and the wiring diagram, and it looks like it just splices into the inputs that are already there. Was there anything more to it than that? It looks like it would be quite simple to splice something in yourself, rather than buying the adaptor.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by grandell
Wow. This makes me feel a bit sad about all of the little defects on my car!

Looks like you've done a great job with the stereo too. With the Ipod adaptor, what do you select on the stereo to chose the Ipod? I had a quick look at the adaptor you cut up, and the wiring diagram, and it looks like it just splices into the inputs that are already there. Was there anything more to it than that? It looks like it would be quite simple to splice something in yourself, rather than buying the adaptor.
I choose CD and it works also if there is now magazine in the CD changer.
And you are right about the wiring. It looks like you need to connect just 3 cables (R, L and ground) somewhere inside the radio. Nothing more was there. So this adaptor is a waste of money.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Rostman
Is it like a paint? I have a white marks on some plastic so i'm wonder if it will helps.
It is more like a slightly thicker shoe polish, which dries a bit better, in a semi gloss way.
It works pretty good on weathered areas, and better if it can soak-in.
I doubt it would cover up white spots though.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
It is more like a slightly thicker shoe polish, which dries a bit better, in a semi gloss way.
It works pretty good on weathered areas, and better if it can soak-in.
I doubt it would cover up white spots though.
Hope so.

Quick Reply: XJR 99' restoration