XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Alternator Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation XJR Alternator Replacement Issues

Hello, I recently had the alternator die on my XJR. This killed the battery in the process so I removed it from the car when it was dead and has it tested (confirmed good), and then replaced it and had the alternator replaced. The car runs and drives well and all the electrics seem to be in order, however I have two fairly major issues.

1. Neither of the front seat electric controls work. Using the memory functions on the drivers side changes the position normally, but attempting to use the button controls to move either seat does nothing. No noise, no movement. The power steering column has the same issue. Memory controls move it normally, but the actual adjust knob on the side has no effect.

2. The radio will not power on or do anything. There is nowhere for me to enter a code even if I did manage to get one from a dealer. The unit is powered off and will not turn on.

Any advice regarding either of these would be great.
Cheers,
Q

Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Have you the handbook for fuse location? The seats fuses can blow when changing/charging or jumping the car.

Also try a hard reset - whereby you remove the Neg - cable from the battery and touch it to the Pos+ post to clear memory capacitors. This puts the car back to factory settings and should bring functions back online. On startup let the engine ECU re calibrate the throttle (high idle) and have the radio code handy.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 881 Likes on 727 Posts

+1 fuses first choice; memory faults, second. Both suggestions from Sean should sort it out.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 8,185 Likes on 4,937 Posts

I have posted HUNDREDS of TSBs on the internet. They are on this forum and Gus has them on his site.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-35 Front Seat Memory.pdf (75.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf
501-51 Memory Systems.pdf (50.7 KB, 59 views)