XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR arriving soon... with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 05:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJR arriving soon... with a problem

My 1999 XJR was a couple days bought, and transport set up, when I got the email about a parasitic battery draw from the owner's mechanic. The good news is that they had this issue before and traced it to the Security & Locking Module, which the replaced with one from eBay, and the issue went away. Now it seems the replacement might need replacing, which seems easy enough, but I wonder if anyone has a more permanent solution to this problem than just keep burning through SLMs. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2022, 08:26 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Repaired, or Replaced?

mck_ultra,

Know if they had the old S&LM module repaired thru E-Bay, or found another old S&LM unit on E-Bay? Not trying an end-run around the Marketplace rules, but I've had good luck with Module Repair Pro out of Van Nuys, California. www.ModuleRepairPro.com

Is the OEM unit still kicking around? While many boxes may have the same serial number on them, I believe they must share the CATS number suffix to be interchangeable. So, having the OEM repaired will be less...random.

The CATS S&LM number will be on the CATS sticker hidden somewhere under the trunk grey felt lining. Somewhere above or around the CD player opening, Or anywhere else!

Send that number with the S&LM unit to your repair shop.

Or...there's an intermittent short on one of the Security module outputs, and I've just wasted your time!

The following users liked this post:
mck_ultra (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:40 PM

They're sending both the original and the replacement (since I don't have the car yet, I don't know if this is a "close enough" or exact match, other than that the part number is correct - I was aware of the software level available in the CATS sticker and will check when it arrives!) so it sounds like maybe the best bet would be to get the original repaired. I wonder if you could avoid this with an aftermarket system, since that would include an alarm and remote lock operation? Not that I want one, but if it is less error-prone than the OEM option, and likely similar cost, I'd consider it...

Old 05-09-2022, 09:34 PM
Received 8,246 Likes on 4,973 Posts

VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VC ATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS.

Check the label in the boot.

The following users liked this post:
mck_ultra (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS,VC ATS,VCATS,VCATS,VCATS.

Check the label in the boot.
Will do - like I said, I did a little searching and the way to get things sorted is pretty clear. I was just curious about alternatives so I don't have to keep repeating the fix, as seems to have been the case so far.