XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR CATS Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016 | 09:22 AM
|
Default XJR CATS Suspension

Hi
After hours to read on the forum I have not found the answer to my problem so I explain here how behave the active suspension on my car .
I think that cars suspension is in soft mode all the time.
When accelerating hard the front of the car moves vertically as if the shock absorbers can not keep the wheels on the road, the same thing happens when put brake from high speed.

The car becomes unstable and the brake is inefficient. If i disable active suspension , all dampers are in hard mode and the car behaves excellent on braking and acceleration . I have no error on board when the suspension is functioning. This behavior of the suspension leads me to accelerometers installed on the car, as if the computer does not receive information and the dampers do not harden.

How can I check the suspension system to see if it works in parameters
If i disconnect accelerometers should occur error in my board? system operates without accelerometers in soft mode?
Thanks

Old 06-19-2016 | 01:53 PM
|

A few hours ago , I disconnected the accelerometer and the error occurred immediately , so communication with sensors exist , what happens to the suspension system, is in soft mode all the time

Old 06-24-2016 | 11:02 AM

How did you disconnect the CATS system? I know there is a fuse up front but gave me a light when I did it that way.

I thought there was a place in tear kickboard area to unplug to avoid a light but haven't found it.

As far as testing system. I had a quality scanner hooked up to car last night and it had a section for active dampening. Showed the values for all accelerameters...

Old 06-24-2016 | 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the module is in the boot, probably under the fuse box, which is XKR location. It can be unplugged there and no warning lights.

Old 06-24-2016 | 11:20 AM

The module is behind the passenger footwell side panel. It is a challenge to unplug in place but easier if you unmount it 1st. The CATS shocks can fail without setting the suspension fault light. I have 2 front CATS shocks in my garage that have failed (no firm setting) but otherwise work fine.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016 | 04:00 PM
|

It seems the suspension returned to normal after I cleaned and reconnected vertical accelerometers . Tomorrow I go out with the car on the highway to test suspension.
As I said putting out fuse , the suspension is in hard mode. All dampers are functional problem was that when the car was driving at high speed or rapid braking the shock absorbers work only in soft mode

Old 06-24-2016 | 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by gabrielbecheanu
It seems the suspension returned to normal after I cleaned and reconnected vertical accelerometers . Tomorrow I go out with the car on the highway to test suspension.
As I said putting out fuse , the suspension is in hard mode. All dampers are functional problem was that when the car was driving at high speed or rapid braking the shock absorbers work only in soft mode
Someone on the forum rigged up a switch to turn off the CATS suspension on command, then it defaults to hard mode.
Vector

Old 06-24-2016 | 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
The module is behind the passenger footwell side panel. It is a challenge to unplug in place but easier if you unmount it 1st. The CATS shocks can fail without setting the suspension fault light. I have 2 front CATS shocks in my garage that have failed (no firm setting) but otherwise work fine.

Any idea which module?

IIRC from the electrical Schematic the CATS runs of a 32 pin connector. I'll head off to the garage and see what I can find. If anyone can chime with a pic, or description that would help.

gabrielbecheanu, when you pull the fuse do you just drive with the suspension warning on?

Edit:
Here is a pic of passenger panel. Which relay or relays do I pull?
this pic is from the front of the car facing back (duh) so do I pull Gray passenger (on left of pic), right or driver grey? There are 3 black smaller relays, one on left and two on right side. Are those the ones?

Also, there is another fuse box to the right of this picture, towards driveshaft tunnel in middle of car.

Last edited by Col. Sandurz; 06-24-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2016 | 01:25 AM
|

Yes , after you remove the fuse warning appears after driving a few meters
I did not want to remove the warning , I wanted to fix the suspension , if I install classical dampers I will decouple suspension module.

Old 06-25-2016 | 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

The module is much larger -- I think Hella makes it. It's called the ACD control module. My memory is that the location is the trunk.

Old 06-25-2016 | 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The module is much larger -- I think Hella makes it. It's called the ACD control module. My memory is that the location is the trunk.
Yes, definitely not in compartment. I just looked through fuse area next to battery and under the large fuse box. There is one large module underneath but doesn't say ACD and is attached to two other modules. One is LNG2600HB The other is a BLM316 module (nav or cell phone). One in the middle has no marks but has a 26 pin connector????????

I cant grab a pic now cause my cell phone died and wont charge.--When it rains it pours.

I am really starting to think that this car is a complete one-of-a-kind. Nothing seems to match up on it. Guess part of the deal with a SVP........

Old 06-26-2016 | 05:05 PM

Quick update:
I took apart half the car to look for the ACD module. Starting in trunk, backseat, under driver dash, engine compartment, and finally passenger floor board I found the module.

Found module tucked up far inside the fender in the passenger foot well. I unplugged the connector and car drives a lot different. Plus no lights on.

Old 10-08-2016 | 02:46 PM
|

At the moment I use the car in hard mode (one connector from the shock is out)
If I put the plug back the suspension feels like in soft mode all the time and a clunking noise come from the front of the car. The noise is like a bad bush, the sound disappear if the suspension is in hard mode. How to test the suspension if it work properly?
Another interesting thing is that the brake is better when the suspension is off.
I like the the ride at low speed when the suspension is soft but I would like to have more stiff suspension at high speed and heavy braking.
I do not want to convert from CATS to standard shocks but I do not like the clunking noise so I want to fix it if is possible.
Can any one can tell me how to fix it or diagnose the CATS?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2017 | 11:25 PM

How can I tell if my shocks are CATS or standard?

Old 10-10-2017 | 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

CATS have wires from their tops.

Old 10-10-2017 | 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by TexasXJR
How can I tell if my shocks are CATS or standard?

Wires going in top of shock.

Here is a pic of the top of them. CATS is noticably thicker and has a hole in the top for the connectors. The top nut is also quite a bit bigger.

Here are a couple horrible picture for reference.