XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Xjr cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Xjr cold air intake

I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE a AIR INTAKE. FOR MY jAZILLA.
i HAVE EQUIPPED WITH A BYPASS AND K&N FILTER WHICH IS LOCATED BY THE PASS FOG LIGHT(COLD AIR)
i AM VERY PROUD ALONG WITH MY MODS THIS HAS MADE MY CAR SOUND GREAT WITH MY CUSTOM EXHAUST.

Attached Thumbnails Xjr cold air intake-cai.jpg   Xjr cold air intake-cai2.jpg  

Last edited by jimmycruz99xjr; 07-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

caps lock stuck on or something?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the shortest distance between two points was a straight line? Why did you step down the size of the pipe instead of increase it? What is the filter under the hood for?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Hmmm,

The stock box was already a true cold air.

This design looks like it would be more restrictive than stock.

What is that K&N looking ring under the hood, and is that sucking hot air like it looks like it is?

How does the car feel? More or less power?

ALL CAPS is the same as YELLING

Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmycruz99xjr
I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE A COLD AIR INTAKE. FOR MY jAZILLA.
i HAVE EQUIPPED WITH A BYPASS AND K&N FILTER WHICH IS LOCATED BY THE PASS FOG LIGHT(COLD AIR)
i AM VERY PROUD ALONG WITH MY MODS THIS HAS MADE MY CAR SOUND GREAT WITH MY CUSTOM EXHAUST.
Hello Jimmy,
Not to be too over critical but I tend to agree with other posters ;o]
The piping 'downstream' of the MAF meter should be progressively larger to create a venturi effect.
The filter is waaaay too small to be of any effect.
The fluted curved section will also be a restriction.
It's entry point is too close to the hot air from the radiator area and engine.
Your positioning of the filter is in a rather more 'still air' environment than the original.
As some one has stated, the original air box is well designed and will pass more air than your present design.
It looks great for the Toss Pot factor ;o]
Your better bet is to reinstall the original air box and use a flat K&N filter to replace the original.
That is what I use in mine..
As a suggestion.....the best way you will get a 'ram air' cold charge is to go below front bumper into the high pressure area near one of the cold air brake ducts.

The only real way to gauge any improvement in this department will be to visit a dyno with before and after configurations. ;o))

Last edited by xjay8; 07-08-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

correction its cold air asst. yes I agree on your advice.
but there is a big change I feel it. will post more pics so I can tweek this.
I did modify the bypass to allow water to flow out in case i hit water thats standing.I live in Florida and that is worth any 1-2 hp I may lose..rather hydro locking my road flood badly..i happen to space the accordion intake into the bypass allowing less than a 1/4 inch gap inside where they meet to minimize hot air but a really think its working.
My custom exhaust with xpipe sounds more aggressive than before my neighbor who is against any mods such as this even heard the difference but that not the case here .
as the tube goes dwn i used a wider tube 4inch that connects to the KN filter i have its about even as far as i can go dwn the radiator if you look dead on you can see the k/n filter is tucked inside the bumper grabbing air
I have no spash guard to allow suction from the front of the car and its way cooler than that engine bay.
I feel as air is being shoved dwn this cars throat. its amazing but i will test temps inside this weekend at my friends shop.
not saying this will gain huge hp but i definitively feel better throttle response .
i have a good friend who counsels me he has a nice custom fully modified 2003 corvette cr5.
he loves my Jag and said the same thing its not a ram charger or a cai ..its a cold air asst. its alot cooler than the engine bay plus it sounds sweet hissing every time i hit the gas lol.
but I like to say im no engineer just enthusiast ..this is my 4th modified car and I have always used this method lets see if there actually a benefit ...ill keep you posted but JF you guys rock i learn everyday from the wise thank you

SORRY JF for the caps phone was on caps

I really think wrapping hi temp insulation around the tube by the radiator will cool it dwn a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Xjr cold air intake-cai2.jpg  

Last edited by jimmycruz99xjr; 07-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.