XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR to French Alps - snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJR to French Alps - snow driving

A tous mes Comrades avec Jaguars,

Just returned from a trip to Val Cenis in the French Alps in my 2000 XJR, about 1500 miles return, so the longest journey I've taken her on yet.

Performance was excellent - although I deliberately did not track fuel economy as I was on vacation and did not want to be depressed. French main roads are very good, but tolls on the peage are expensive enough without worrying over fuel costs.

Only minor problem I experienced was the washers stopped working about half way back to UK. Otherwise, hard to think of a car that is more comfortable for long journeys like this one.

I bought new snow tyres before departing as a precaution. There was abundant snow in the Alps, but the main roads were largely clear. Did fine on the minor back roads where mostly icy with a bit of snow on top.

Here is a warning for you if thinking of taking your Jaguar to the Alps: on the XJR there is not sufficient clearance to fit conventional snow chains on the rear wheels. You have two options:

1. Buy "Snow Socks" which are easy to fit and will get you around ok but will be wrecked quickly if driven on cleared roads...these cost around £60-70 for a pair, but BEWARE although legal in French Alps they are not accepted in Austrian or Swiss Alpine roads. I went for this solution as I was in French Alps and did not want to spend an even bigger fortune (it was not a cheap vacation).

2. Buy "Spike Spiders" or Ladder Chains. These are excellent, but very expensive...cheapest I could find run £280-£300 for a pair. If I was going to the Alps regularly, this is what I would go for.

Most of the other UK cars on the trip from the Channel Tunnel/Calais to Alps via Lyons and back appeared to be German estate cars or 4X4/SUVs. Nice to stand out in a classier car - I saw a couple of S type jags, couple XFs but only one other XJ the entire trip.

It may sound childish, but when pulling away from a toll booth on the peage, it's a great feeling when you give her the beans and leave everyone else standing.

One last point for EU travellers: my breakdown recovery company will not normally cover cars over 11 years old in Continental Europe...we had to agree to a special excess as mine is now 12 years old. Worth checking your cover before you leave then.

A Bientot!

Happy Motoring - Munro.

The following users liked this post:
odds (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Visitors be aware that, although it is rare to see a speed trap setup on the Péage they do operate a 'time of flight' speed check which is one reason you see Gendarmes at the pay stations.
If you're going to have a bit of fun then stop at a service station for a cup of coffee !
We pay no Road Fund license here so the cost is less irritating and there are many non-paying autoroutes.

odds (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Sounds like you had fun! Alps are gorgeous this time of the year (either French, Swiss, Austrian, or Slovenian). I, however, learned to HATE snow and cold weather. My little ranch is getting down to the freezing every night, here is SoCal mountains, and I don't like it.

My Cat loves the PCH and the ocean! I don't take her in the snow. For that I have other vehicles, and I firmly believe one should "dress for the occasion".

But I wouldn't mind hit the Alps for the weekend.

odds (01-07-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a big fun of travelling in the mountains by car, especially in the Italian Alps, Dolomites. Anyway as I'm using my XJR only for some months, after it was rebuilded (was front damaged when I got it), i did not tour with it yet, but good to know no matter how high to go, and how deep is the snow!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lord, now that's a dream trip in an XJR! Sadly, no Alps anywhere near Cincinnati

The most 'scenic' trip we've taken in my R was up to the U.P. of Michigan, en-route to Mackinac Island. Of course, had to leave the car on the mainland and switch over to bikes/horses/feet for getting 'round the island