XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Fuel Pump DIY.....NOT a nice job!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJR Fuel Pump DIY.....NOT a nice job!

OK....so at 101K my 02 XJR stopped at the gas station....yep...just filled up...NO START!
Towed home...no fuel pressure. Hit this forum...diagnosed bad pumps. Siphoned full tank into my 04 Land Rover Disco. I read up a LOT about this job and am very used to rebuilding engines etc on other cars, (Saabs, MGs Subarus etc). Here's what I did...not perfect, but I'd been on 1 pump for how long anyway????
This job was an absolute BITCH but it IS possible to DIY although I only was able to do 1 of the 2 pumps on this car with the Tank still attached to it's bottom lines.
1. I WAS able to undo everything except the bottom hoses off the tank and rotate and pull the thing back far enough to open the top. I did this by undoing the plastic clamps under the car to allow the hard fuel lines to flex and move more...also undid the fuel filter. It is pretty much impossible to use the special tool to undo the lines into the tank without dropping the axle unless you have the arms of a chimp and the strength of a hobbit. I did not want to do this because I know I'd still be under the car and it's dark and cold now!!
2. Undoing the rubber hoses on top and surrounding wiring just takes time and patience...getting them back on is harder. Getting the bolt back onto pump 2 took me 30 mins from the trunk of the car....not pretty but doable if you are patient and cheap like I am. My inside wires were fine but I had to splice connections for the new pump.
3. I ordered and used an uprated pump from an ebay vendor, (Only Fuel Pumps/American made)....frankly I am not convinced of the need for 2 pumps on an R and the regular XJ8 only has one anyway. I did try to do both but pump#1 is unreachable unless you remove the tank from the car as you are suppose to.
3. pulling the tank back and left I could JUST get clearance to take off the top cover tapping it round to undo. Pump#2 is the easy one to reach but still a bugger and a half. Pump#1 defeated me...could not undo it's bolt and gave up after 2 hours of trying.

So in the end I replaced pump 2 only....this means simply removing the relay for pump#1, (you now have a spare relay) so that relay#2 and pump 2 take over permanently. This only applies to the R. The higher flow of this pump is more than adequate and I have full performance back to the car.

All info posted as an aid only and While I appreciate the purists maybe thinking this approach is incomplete it's offered for info only because there are seemingly LOADS of pump failures out there and this is a cost effective way of doing it yourself if you want to have a go. I was quoted $500 from the local indie for labor but reading up this job can cost a lot more. I did it for the cost of 2 pumps and a total of 5 hours on a Sat afternoon and I have one spare pump for the next time!!!!
Am attaching pics.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails XJR Fuel Pump DIY.....NOT a nice job!-jag-tank1.jpg   XJR Fuel Pump DIY.....NOT a nice job!-jag-tank2.jpg   XJR Fuel Pump DIY.....NOT a nice job!-jagtank3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Epikuro (07-02-2022)