XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR gearbox fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default XJR gearbox fault

Hello
Few weeks ago I started to have abnormal feel that like engine started to run on seven cylinders. I "listened" the failure during driving and engine did not run at 7 cylinders. It surely was the gearbox doing some weird stuff. Then few kilometers later suttering stopped and gearbox light came up. After work I drove home and everything was fine except light at the dash. Code was P0740.
Next evening I took IDS with me for a test spin and found out that input shaft speed goes all over the place but all the time under engine rpm. I thought that that must be it and because gearbox had the connector oil leak anyway so the conductor plate swap could fix it. Orderder conductor plate, tcc solenoid and new plug for the oil leak fix. Beforehand I did oil flush with atf oil flush machine and oil wasnt dirty at all as previous owner has been changing oil regulary.

After conductor plate job gearbox was considerably smoother than what it has been before. But it still doesn't do okay. I've been driving it now a week in a row commuting work and back and so on. Day before yesterday light came on when I was using S mode and ran in to heavy traffc. Same P0740 as ever. This time and like most of the time when light comes on. Gearbox like either shifts erratic or TCC is acting up. After code remove. It works from a week to lets say few days. At C mode it does occur way rarely than S mode.

Yesterday I measured that harnes is okay from the gearbox plug to the TCM. Used headlight bulb too that there is no allmost broken wire. And shaked harness at the top and the bottom.

Code interpretation differs between MB side or Jag side. And it is basically result of tcc acting wrong not specific reason. For me I can not find this box to be smooth and great as many MB guys are saying. Either my unit has some long term failures or it is what it is. Last summer it didnt show error codes for my first 6000 thousand Km's but it wasn't smooth at all. It does not bang gears or have neutral between gears or anything like that. More like thight at low load. At full throttle it has always been great.

So what next ? Should I go towards turbine or give the valve body to someone to check it out and clean?
Car has just over 140 000Km

Old 08-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

Perhaps you can try the shift adaptation, the TCM re-learning or TCM re-setting procedures described in the attached documents.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
TCM Relearning.doc (20.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: doc
TCM Resetting X308.doc (19.5 KB, 109 views)
The following users liked this post:
Ken Lopour (11-24-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Hi.
Isn't that same thing as disconnecting battery cable ? Or is this more deeply learn?

Yesterday evening car failed badly on me. I couldn´t leave from parking lot. Engine started fine and I backed out from the slot. Continued foward and got like 5 metres ahead and engine stopped. Dash told me that engine has been stopped. As being stopped at small crossroad I started the car immediately and after I selected foward gear, engine stopped again. Started engine again with very long startup and slightly rewed engine to get some push backwards. After that engine stalled again and I rolled back to the slot in neutral. Car was warm. After couple of minutes restarted the car and everything was normal. Except after couple of km's restricted performance came up without any codes at ecm nor tcm. Of course I had to shut down the car before code readout. That may have erase any tempoary faultcodes. Why this sounds broken torque converter or the mighty cold stall issue what many 722.6 gearboxes seems to have? Except not when cold but hot.

Last edited by Vauxi; 08-11-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

I had a problem with my 722.6 only once ("high gearbox temp", "restricted performance"...on the instrument cluster display) and that was when my alternator failed - the voltage on the battery at the moment of the said gearbox trouble (while the engine was still idling) was just about 11+ volts. After I rebuilt the alternator, I still had the gearbox messages hanging around, i.e. did not clear even though the battery was disconnected for a couple of days. I then unplugged the TCM to have a look at it and, as I did not find any obvious damage inside, I plugged it back in after about an hour or so. After that, no more warnings and everything was normal. Perhaps you can try the same - disconnect battery, unplug the TCM for some time, plug it back in and reconnect the battery.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 AM

I'll investigate. Today 200km trip and gearbox failure light came on when I started driving back and cleared by normal shutdown start up method. Later tried that adaptation too. Got to the "4" and then restricted performance showed up wich cleared too with engine restart. I didn't had IDS with me.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a 00 VDP SC with about 181K on it. Sometimes, it would slam from 1st to 2nd. Replaced the control board in the transmission and that fixed that issue.

Then I had a time where I gunned it and did it in a way where I put the transmission in an odd situation - the shift was terrible and I just had a gut feeling that wasn't good. After that I started to get transmission fault every now and then from 3rd to 2nd shift. I guess it learned a weird value and just ghosted me shortly after that.

I used an autologic, went in as Mercedes E320 and cleared the adaption. Confirmed the adaptions were cleared, did the adaption techniques and let the car run for 10 minutes and then turned off. After this, I did the same thing on my 02 XKR to get it to shift firmer. Success there as well.

That was about a year ago now. I've got 208K and the car shifts firm as I want it without a problem. I understand there is this pedal and ignition way of resetting the adaptions, but I've never had any luck with it. When I used a system to get in and see all the values zero'd out, at least I knew they were actually gone that time. I also did my best to get some better fluid in there as well - that FEBI/Bilstein is fine, never had a problem with it in either car. I kept the spec on the VDP but used the thinner superceded MB spec on the XKR.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Hi. Thanks for the MB type. I'll try that. My chinese Mongoose crashes everytime when trying to go reset adaptations from IDS. I sent torque converted to the local Sonnax shop and they will overhaul it and make the tcc spring modifications. We'll see.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Hello. Looks like the torque converter were faulty. I sent it to rebuild and for the tcc mod. I've been driving it over 300Km since I put it back together with no faults and driveability transformed vastly. Still knoking on the wood..