XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR is here, and now I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJR is here, and now I need advice

So my XJR has arrived, and is the picture of mechanical health with a stack of records to substantiate it. However... it turns out that the previous owner had (unbeknownst to me, and in conflict with the advert) stored it outside for a while. The interior needs a good cleaning, but I am unsure how best to clean the interior metal surfaces, which have acquired a blue-green corrosion/build up - the lock stems, belt buckles, speaker surrounds, all of it. I'll try to get some photos, but any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2022, 07:57 AM
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

All those bits are chrome plated, so as long as the Chrome is intact you can just use an all purpose cleaner.

Failing that, the lock stems can be replaced easily, as can the speaker surrounds. But you need to take the door card off to remove the speaker surrounds as they are held with Staples on the opposite side, and you can damage your door card if you try to pry them off from the outside.

The following users liked this post:
mck_ultra (05-17-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by mck_ultra
So my XJR has arrived, and is the picture of mechanical health with a stack of records to substantiate it. However... it turns out that the previous owner had (unbeknownst to me, and in conflict with the advert) stored it outside for a while. The interior needs a good cleaning, but I am unsure how best to clean the interior metal surfaces, which have acquired a blue-green corrosion/build up - the lock stems, belt buckles, speaker surrounds, all of it. I'll try to get some photos, but any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks!

Chrome can be abraded quite easily so caution is in order...especially on chrome that is inside the car as these usually are not chromed as well as outside chrome.
Here is a nine step method that is used to preserve as much chrome as possible while providing results. Go to the next step until the corrosion is eliminated.

Step 1

Wash the chrome surface with a rag and mild dish soap to remove dust and dirt. Rinse the chrome and dry it with a rag to reveal all corrosion.

Step 2

Pour a layer of salt on a plate. Cut a fresh lemon in half and dip the lemon into the salt. Scrub the chrome corrosion with the salted lemon, reapplying salt as necessary, until the corrosion is no longer visible. Wash the chrome surface with dish detergent and water, rinse and dry with a towel.

Step 3

Fill a spray bottle with undiluted white vinegar. Generously spray the corroded chrome and let the vinegar sit on the surface for 10 to 15 minutes. Dip a toothbrush or soft-bristled nylon brush into vinegar and scrub the corrosion off the surface. Wash the chrome with soap and water, rinse and dry it with a towel.

Step 4

Mix baking soda with water to create a creamy paste. Pick the baking soda paste up with a damp sponge and scrub the chrome corrosion until it disappears. Rinse the chrome surface with water and dry it with a towel.

Step 5

Fold a sheet of aluminum foil in half with the shiny side facing out. Crush the foil in your hand to form a crumpled ball. Rub the corroded spots until they shine.

Step 6

Dampen a rag with cola. Dab the cola onto the chrome corrosion and let it sit for one to two minutes. Rub the chrome with the wadded aluminum foil until the corrosion disappears. Wash the chrome with hot, soapy water and dry it with a towel.

Step 7

Spread white toothpaste over the chrome corrosion with your finger. Scrub with a damp rag until you remove all corrosion. Rinse the chrome surface with water and dry it with a towel.

Step 8

Mix powdered orange- or lemon-flavored drink mix with water to form a paste. Pick the paste up with a nylon scrubbing sponge and rub it over the corroded areas of chrome until the corrosion is no longer visible. Wash the chrome with dish soap and water, rinse and dry it with a towel.

Step 9

Dip a rag or #0000 steel wool into a commercially available chrome polish. Rub the polish into the chrome until the corrosion disappears. Buff the polish off the chrome surface with a rag.

The following users liked this post:
mck_ultra (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Reporting back, the interior is all cleaned up, and looking great! For the chrome, a little water and aluminium foil polished it up. The speaker grilles needed a little emery cloth, and are still a little rough, but much better than before.