XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR issues

Hello all happy new year,
I am wondering if anyone can cast a little light on my car challenges!?
I have just changed from a fault free 1998 XJ8 4LTR LWB to a black 1999 XJR and have encountered some issues. Unfortunately I had to drive back to Spain to start work and could not get the problem fixed in the UK. I am in an area where there are very few mechanics, fewer still good ones and no jag ones!

Basically car was great upon purchase, dealer said front pads would need changing at some point so I thought I would just get those done whilst I had the opportunity. That garage told me the traction control wasn't functioning and I should get it looked at so in a hurry I managed to get booked into a main dealer between xmas and new year which was very kind of them. They plugged it in had a good look and told me all was well. Next day (Sunday) I had to leave to start the 1000mile drive back . . . car wouldn't start, no power at all. With all the issues of opening the boot etc. Anyway emergency breakdown came out jump started the car and off I went. But two things started happening: (1) The yellow engine failsafe light started intermittently coming on and the passenger mirror started motoring away of its own accord?

The breakdown guy suggested changing the battery when he had a look and said there was quite a high drainage on the battery (more than normal at least). So here I am back in Spain and the new battery arrives on Monday . . . can I change it myself? I phoned the Jaguar garage and they said that they think it could well be the battery. So should I disconnect so it can all reset itself (I have radio codes etc) or do I need the garage to keep the current going as it's swapped? Any advice would be much appreciated as I am terrible with cars and if it goes wrong out here I am buggered (this really is a tiny little island).

One other question regards the windows that on mine are tinted (rear 3 especially). Here in Spain you need either a certificate showing conformity in Spain if they are stickers. However mine seem like the glass itself . . . is that possible, did they come available like that from the factory? Is it the glass colour (I can feel no sticker when I check). In which case could I prove that it is factory fit to the authorities here as they are not impressed. If I can't address the situation they won't let me drive it. It isn't the degree of tint that's the problem it's that I don't have any paperwork to shown when they were done.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you have time, please visit the new member area and introduce yourself:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

No clue as to windows, but changing the battery is the easiest job you will have if there is a lack of mechanics in your area. Make sure the new battery has a vent, absolutely necessary.
Remove the negative(black) terminal first, then the positive (red), then disconnect the vent tube.
Exchange the batteries and reconnect, red first. It may run a little rough until the ECU does it's organization protocol, but that's it.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

A 10mm spanner for the terminal nuts and if you have the red screwdriver in the tool kit under the bonnet, this can be used to undo the long torx bolt that holds the cross brace. The flat end fits perfectly, it's reversible.

It's more than likely a fresh battery will cure your electrical gremlins, these cars hate low volts. You will need to find the drain.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Make sure that you have the radio code before you disconnect the battery!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
Make sure the new battery has a vent, absolutely necessary.
When I replaced my battery last year, I noticed that the old one did not have a vent, so I made sure the new one had that feature.

But, I could find no hole in the trunk floor to route the vent through.

Mine is a 2001 XJR. Any idea why mine would not have this? Anyone have a photo of the vent hole?
Vector