XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR J Gate Park warning signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Default XJR J Gate Park warning signal problem

Hoping someone can shed some light on a transmission selector issue on my 1998 XJR. The car is not throwing any codes. I am hoping I may simply need to adjust the cable or sort out a micro switch problem, but I have never delved into the J Gate assembly.

My daughter was using the car and had to abandon it at her boyfriend's house.The Park warning signal sounds, even though the lever is fully in the park position, which prevents the car from starting. The shifter is locked in place and can not be moved to Neutral. Initially when she called me to explain, I had her gently wiggle the shifter in the park position until the warning signal ceased. That got her from an appointment to her boyfriend's house. I need to try to retrieve the car today.

I am wondering if removing the emergency interlock screw will get me going to at least get the car home? This is making me wonder if the security system may be involved also.

If anyone has had similar issues, I would appreciate some feedback.
Since there are no codes thrown, it appears the car simply thinks it is not in park before starting and as noted above the shifter will not release to move into neutral. (I am told it is in Park and the problem occurs at start up

I will be driving my old 68 BSA Lightning to the car with a small assortment of tools . Hopefully the car will sense some British company and relax.. ha ha!

If I can get the car home to properly resolve the issue, that would be a great start.

Any sage advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Put the ignition on, don't crank it, press the brake pedal, and then try to move the lever to N (try to hear if there is a click sound when you press the brake). If not, remove the plastic screw, insert the key or a screwdriver and once unlocked, move it to N. Try to crank it.

The following users liked this post:
JWT (06-30-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM
JWT

Thanks Flay,
Pressing the brake does produce the click, but I can not get the shifter into Neutral. I could however get it to go to Reverse. The indicator lights appear to be working on the J Gate. Park and Reverse illuminates normally, but I get the "Not in Park" warning signal

I just returned home from retrieving the car and have it in the garage.
I fiddled with the shifter until it finally released the park warning. At that time I could start it and it drove home normally. I was able to turn it off and remove the key.
A few minutes later, I tried again and it activated the warning sound again. I was unable to remove the key at that stage. Headlights were on but it would not crank.
More fiddling for a couple of minutes allowed me to turn the switch off and remove the key.

Have not tried again as yet, but not sure where to start. I believe there is a micro switch in the J Gate assembly... actually, two of them on an XJR, but I am not sure of their function. I assume one of them activates the warning if the car is not in Park when turned off, and prevents reaching the key removal position. I read the JTIS manual for a while, but have not found much in the way of detail for this component.

Again... further advice from a member who may have experienced this would be welcomed and appreciated.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM
JWT

Correction..... Sorry Flay, I was mistaken about the familiar click when pressing the brake pedal. It is not activating.
I guess it must have activated when I was able to restart the motor while retrieving the car. I just tried it again and there is no click. I could remove the key without difficulty this time, but had to wiggle the lever to get the warning chime to stop.

I will try removing the screw to see if it will move to Neutral, although that will not likely resolve the issue, unless it somehow re-sets something.

I wonder if the cable adjustment is slightly out of range could bring this on?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

How are the rear brake lights, are they working when pressing the pedal?
Have a look also here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fitted-90093/

Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
JWT

Thanks Flay...the brake lights are working normally.

About 30 minutes ago, I tried a hard reset on the battery, removed the screw, but could still not get the lever past reverse. I replaced the screw and (probably by coincidence) everything returned to normal. I started the car, ran through all the gears manually, repeated this about 6 times, drove around the block and then it started again. I could not get the key to return to the removal position, but could get to a power off stage. After more fiddling I could get to the key removal position.

When it started behaving, the transmission and the gear selector worked in a perfectly normal manner.

I did change the transmission about 40,000 KM ago, but I had no difficulty hooking up the linkage. If I recall correctly, I had it in Neutral when hooking it up. I am still wondering if the cable needs readjustment... and wondering about the switches in the shifter console. Of course the are hunches only, as I have no prior experience in this regard.

This is frustrating. I have had experience with that before!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM
JWT
Default Update

After checking the shift cable connections at the transmission and the J gate, nothing seemed loose or damaged. Other than a stretched cable, I am doubtful that the cable is the culprit.

After bypassing the brake shift interlock and starting in neutral, it appears the car can be driven normally, however the park warning alarm still sounds after turning the engine off, although it is in park. This times out in about 10 seconds. The J gate position lights work properly.

I am unsure if there is a relationship between the shift interlock and the park position warning, or if one or both of the components defective.

Again, the are no codes being thrown.

With the current update, if anyone has a suggested next step on trouble shooting, I am all ears, as I am unsure as to the best way to test the fault(s)

I will keep reading but advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks